Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    Someone is getting fired. C-? Hell, probably the writer, editor, and some management.
    Most reviews have been positive, like 25 million people watched the show, why do you want people fired?

The critic/user review ratio tells it all. Cheap cash-grab of a famous brand with minimal effort, with most of budget going towards advertising, sorta resembles those crappy budget 90s TV shows about Conan and Hercules.
    My biggest fear is that this flop will jeopardize the future of the Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Cheap cash-grab of a famous brand with minimal effort
    This is a demonstrably false comment which highlights the current state of user review approaches. They bad mouth something just for the sake of bad mouthing which undermines actual points of criticism. It's similar to a 15 year old highschool brat going "OMG! I'm gonna die" just because the A/C is not working fast enough.
    The Armenian Issue

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Yes, how dare people not like a show and have their own opinion instead of listening to corrupt for profit reviewers. Hissssss.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Most reviews have been positive, like 25 million people watched the show, why do you want people fired?
    User reviews are generally negative.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; September 04, 2022 at 04:20 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

The Washington Post is owned by Bezos to be used as a mouth piece. Of all critics, the WP's should be giving it a good review.

Metacritic has it at 71 with critics and 2.5 with audiences. So most "professional" reviews are giving it a C-. Inko Kang, also WP critic, gave it a 40. Yikes!

Praeses

Not sure if I'll watch it, but the pearl clutching from the alt-right is delightful. Fragile guardians of our Kultur, why do you tremble?

Tolkien was by modern standards sexist and racist, and its hard to get away with that now.

Claiming Peter Jackson as a gold standard is bizarre, there are numerous egregious errors in LOTR and the Hobbit is far worse.

excursis
    Off the top of me head, the unforgivable bits of LoTR include:
    aNgStY Aragorn wtf? He was the fated King, focussed on that half-elf poon, no doubt in his heart.
    100% elf supremacist Elrond. "Men? men are weak" Lore rape.
    "Lets Hunt some orc, mfs!" while he loots. Boromir's. corpse.
    Young mentally unstable Theoden. He was ancient, and once cured, never wavered in his mission. "But the plot requires suspense, will he or won't he?" stfu.
    "There was once an alliance between men and elves" The whole point of the battle was Rohan alone finding its strength. The surprise ally was Fangorn not Galadriel. This can of worms doesn't stop giving, why no elf army at Minas Tirith? Did they "forget about Dol Guldur? But then they remembered?" Narrative ****ery of the lowest order.
    Stupid unfunny Eomer, in the book he was Thor not Skurge. Why? more cringeworthy than giggling Eowyn the soup mangler.
    Elf on a skateboard. Just no.
    Stupid Denethor. "Flee!" OMG I want to punch Jackson so hard.
    Green Goo ftw. Worse than Helms Deep.
    Frodo dismisses Sam. Not possible for those characters. Not ever. Nek minnit, friends again!

As for the Hobbit, I think "repeating crossbow ram chariots" sums up my problem with this catastrophe.

On the flip side, its very hard to translate these rambling works to the screen and kudos must be given to Jackson for his masterful dark set pieces like the Balrog, and the many good things (consonant with the source material) he managed to incorporate like tears and love and slightly vaudevillian orcishness.

By the same token there's no way RoP can be true to its (far thinner and even less logical) source material, so it'll be a case of finding good parts.

To my mind a dark skinned elf is possible but an African dark skinned elf seems distant from the source material: then again I am an old fart and probably racist. Perhaps they should have used East Asian actors for elves? Dark skinned dwarves seem very compatible. The beardless dwarf women? The LoTR appendices are framed as Hobbit retelling of lore learned long ago, so it may be that was an academic Hobbit calumny (maybe they were jealous that Hobbit lasses liked that BDC?).

Lore variations like the sandy haired sons of Denethor (both dark haired in the books) work alright. Jackson covered a plot-hole in the Hobbit with "Operation Molten Gold", and omitted the boring Bombadil musical interlude, so there's an argument for mutilating the received text at times.

No reason why this shouldn't be terrible (or good) simply because its the product of capitalism, rather than woke****.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Yes, how dare people not like a show and have their own opinion instead of listening to corrupt for profit reviewers. Hissssss.

I think that reply kinda projects how Amazon and other corporations have toxic attitude towards their customer base, where instead of acknowledging the bad things in their product that were pointed out in the negative reviews, they start complaining about negative reviews themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    the pearl clutching from the alt-right is delightful.
    I shudder at the thought process of a human being that intentionally consumes bad content to "stick it to the alt-right".
    Last edited by Heathen Hammer; September 04, 2022 at 05:48 PM.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I've watched the first two episodes and I would say it was better than both it appeared from the trailers and many of the fan reviews. It's closer to the tone of Tolkien than the Marvelesque result I feared, and the environments and casting are good. The cinematography is stunning in places, and often doesn't compare unfavourably to the LoTR films, which is no mean feat. Adherence to lore is very mixed, sometimes pleasing, sometimes frustrating. The writing is decent for significant stretches, and then will suddenly throw in something daft, like the way Galadriel elects to return to Middle Earth at the end of episode 1.... I'll continue to watch it, though more for the scenes where it does realise Middle Earth very well than for the overall quality of the plot etc. It did leave me thinking they were closer than I'd imagined to producing something genuinely great, but sadly an upgrade on their screenwriters and more access to the Silmarillion would have been necessary to get there.

Praeses

"Marvellesque", beautifully put.

Maybe I should have a look after all.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

The show is getting review bombed pretty badly, so the overall audiences scores sadly dont tell us much useful info. (on some other pages with less reviews they managed to drag it down to pretty ridiculous numbers, like 3.8 on RT and 2.0 on metacritic...) As you can see below https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7631058...?ref_=tt_ov_rt

The first day the 1/10 group was almost half people... however, as more normal people are now rating, the score is now fortunately getting a bit normalised...
    Last edited by Jadli; September 05, 2022 at 02:25 AM.

They could not show Ungoliant in the scene about the trees being corrupted purely because they did not have rights to the Silmarillion.
    The Armenian Issue

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Very likely indeed.

Though pretty sure they could have told us some other details in the prologue that they had rights for, but they definitely tried to keep it simple enough so that the "casual" fans wouldnt get confused by all the details, that are not relevant for the story of 2nd age anyways

Also when you see the map of them crossing from Valinor to ME, it doesnt show Beleriand... curious if thats also due to the rights, or the reason is the same as above (so that ME would be the same as in the later map shots). BTW, really loved the map shots, shame lot of other movies/shows are not using it
    Last edited by Jadli; September 05, 2022 at 03:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    The Washington Post is owned by Bezos to be used as a mouth piece. Of all critics, the WP's should be giving it a good review.

Metacritic has it at 71 with critics and 2.5 with audiences. So most "professional" reviews are giving it a C-. Inko Kang, also WP critic, gave it a 40. Yikes!
    1- proof that most professional critics are not sold, right?
    2- The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power: Season 1. METASCORE: Generally favorable reviews based on 37 Critic Reviews.

I just took a look at the negative user reviews on metacritic. Most mention at some point (in the form of a complaint of course) a strong female protagonist and black elves and dwarves. Racists and misogynists sabotaging a series or movie, what a surprise.

Edit: Guys, people are not pissed off because the special effects are not great or the dialogues are sometimes childish. people don't get mad about stuff like that.
    Last edited by mishkin; September 05, 2022 at 04:01 AM.

1- proof that most professional critics are not sold, right?
    2- The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power: Season 1. METASCORE: Generally favorable reviews based on 37 Critic Reviews.

I just took a look at the negative user reviews on metacritic. Most mention at some point (in the form of a complaint of course) a strong female protagonist and black elves and dwarves. Racists and misogynists sabotaging a series or movie, what a surprise.
    Well then, the first page of negative reviews should give a a taste of "most" correct?
    So I just opened the first page reviews.
    The word "black", per a search, appears once.
    https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-lo...1/user-reviews

The word "strong" appears in two posts.
    And if I am reading it correctly there are 100 posts on that page.

On the second page the word "black" appears 5 times in 3 posts (one post with the word in there twice which indicates a kind of acceptance but thinks it was poorly done).
    The word "strong" appears in one post (and not relation to any character).
    https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-lo...reviews?page=1
    Last edited by Infidel144; September 05, 2022 at 05:04 AM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    The show is getting review bombed pretty badly, so the overall audiences scores sadly dont tell us much useful info. (on some other pages with less reviews they managed to drag it down to pretty ridiculous numbers, like 3.8 on RT and 2.0 on metacritic...) As you can see below https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7631058...?ref_=tt_ov_rt
    Rings of Power is NOT getting review bombed it's just bad. The highest score it got from known honest reviewers is a 6/10.

Most mention at some point (in the form of a complaint of course) a strong female protagonist and black elves and dwarves. Racists and misogynists sabotaging a series or movie, what a surprise.
    This is a lie.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Tolkien was by modern standards sexist and racist, and its hard to get away with that now.
    Who new the man could have deflected some of that (at least the sexism) had retained the version of Eowyn organizing the defense of Rohan where she confidentiality reports the shield maidens have been gathered as well as the field army of the kingdom (which is duh is of course men - more expendable if nothing else).

----------

As for the show well I dunno seem rather massively slow. I suppose I get the that there must be rights issues over what material they can use... that being noted - don't understand the weird made up stuff. Could care less about a black elf (or Hobbits although now their Irish?). But really don't get the elf gestapo in the vague south lands? Seems like the material already allows for the Numenoreans to be starting on or well into their once were happy visitors/explores now are colonizers role (which occurs w/o Sauron being about - Actually another point where JRRT might be absolved of racism since the men left behind (post Morgoth) were basically abandoned by Elves, Numenoreans and the Valar to S.). Why is Gilgalad giving orders to Galadriel - more or less not feasible? I mean she is like his great Aunt once removed or something (depending on which genealogy you like) and very much far more powerful. Last I checked it certainly was not the boy king of the Nolder's power to raise or lift the doom of Mandos from Galadriel. Don't get the inverting of a point JRRT made clearly Eldar wanted their cake and get to eat it too. Aside from Galadriel herself (and one assumes Maglor wherever he is wondering) there was no ban on going back in fact that what the Valar demanded. Really if they were going to make any elf look young it really should be Gilgalad given their age and or lineage both Elrond and Galadriel need to come across more assured and mature. Why did we have elf Preschool? Why are hobbits being inserted into the story? Why are elves all tired and exhausted from the snow/cold and carrying simple torches rather than glowing things.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Well then, the first page of negative reviews should give a a taste of "most" correct?
    So I just opened the first page reviews.
    The word "black", per a search, appears once.
    https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-lo...1/user-reviews

The word "strong" appears in two posts.
    And if I am reading it correctly there are 100 posts on that page.

On the second page the word "black" appears 5 times in 3 posts (one post with the word in there twice which indicates a kind of acceptance but thinks it was poorly done).
    The word "strong" appears in one post (and not relation to any character).
    https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-lo...reviews?page=1
    Review 1: "weak beta male",

Review 2: "Also creators are racists - I didnt find any asian character"

Review 3: "t corrupts what was written in order to make a generic fantasy to appeal to intersectional yanks who think they can warp a beloved replacement mythology for England and make it another piece to push modern-day politics"

Review 4, 5: nothing racist, misogynistic or political, but the score is a zero.

(do you have an explanation for the hundreds of really mad guys giving the show a plain zero?)

see all reviews/, random negative reviews:
    "Thank you for nothing woke culture"

" they had created black dwarves and elves [...] Then I learned that they had made Galadriel an armor clad army leader [...]hen I saw they had a woman playing Annatar/Sauron which resulted in him looking trans".

"a hefty dose of woke BS"

I could go on all day, but I'd rather watch the third episode. It's not a big deal, but as I said I like that galadriel.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I could go on all day, but I'd rather watch the third episode. It's not a big deal, but as I said I like that galadriel
    I dunno so far she is really vacillating - like some kind of teen living up to her older brother without much self assurance. And so far they kinda made her brother not really the nifty character you need to prove yourself worthy of.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I dunno so far she is really vacillating - like some kind of teen living up to her older brother without much self assurance. And so far they kinda made her brother not really the nifty character you need to prove yourself worthy of.
    Yes, very rushed narration, little depth in the characters. I like he for her craziness/stubbornness and I hope that a sicker side of her is shown

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Yes, very rushed narration, little depth in the characters. I like he for her craziness/stubbornness and I hope that a sicker side of her is shown
    The actress playing her put it quite beautifully:

The Rings of Power’s Galadriel Star Addresses Complaints About Character’s Action Scenes
    "I would say that her serenity is hard-earned," she explained. "I don’t think you get to that level of wisdom without going through things. She actually speaks about [how] with wisdom, there is a loss of innocence, which was a really good thing for me to find in the lore. Because, like, how young are you when you’re still thousands of years old? So it was thinking of what innocence she lost during this time. The elves by the Third Age have evolved to a certain degree. The elves in the First Age are really messy and screw each other over a lot, and fight and mock each other also. They are the history of Middle Earth, and so they are forever changing."

The way people treated Jackson's movies compared to Rings of Power shows us that this isn't the case.

A simple review of reviewers on Metacritic shows us that something is fishy. Most reviewers have not reviewed anything before and some only fluctuate between a 0 and a 10. We all know better.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; September 05, 2022 at 07:00 AM.
    The Armenian Issue