Thread: New historically accurate units that could be added

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New historically accurate units that could be added

I know the unit roster is already broad yet more units could add even more to it... let's start with some of them, as far as i know.

Veteran silver shields: according to Plutarch, in the life of Eumenes, one of Alexander's closest companions: the argiraspidai betrayed Eumenes when facing Antigonos, because he captured all their belongings and families and asked to hand him their commander in return. They were all men beyond 60 years old but extremely experienced phalangites who were considered invincible on the battlefield. They could be added as an expensive but almost unbreakable troop of phalangites, even surpassing the already strong agema basilikon.

Gladiators: even if they are not field soldiers, it is known that gladiators participated sometimes in battle either as rebels or hastily equipped troops. Beside spartacus famous rebellion, gladiators also appeared in one rebellion in gaul, according to tacitus, they were called " cruppellari " as they were covered in metal and almost invulnerable to harm. They could be added as some kind of rebels or readily avaiable but expensive troops, or both...

Armoured legionnaires: as the romans faced the parthian horse archers and generally masses of bow armed troops in the east, it was necessary to change the equipment of the legionnaires according to the danger. It' not impossible that legionnaires garrisoned in the east wore extra armour for the arms and legs in order to better resist the endless volleys of arrows that rained on them. I don't know the source but it is highly likely that some kind of extra armoured legionnaires could have existed.

Bronze shields phalangites: as the pikemen in the seleucid armies were a threat to be dealt with, the kings of pontus trained their own response in the form of elite phalangites, named " bronze shields " and equipped similarly to other phalangites, but with superior training and weapons. King Pharnakes I who ruled pontus from 190 b.c. to 155 b.c. had this kind of troops in order to face the phalangites that the diadochoi fielded.
    Last edited by randy_cat; January 14, 2022 at 04:19 AM.