Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why doesn't Europe just severtheir alliance with the US if they disagree with everything the US does?

Praeses

Default Re: Why doesn't Europe just severtheir alliance with the US if they disagree with everything the US does?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton2434 View Post
    You know that's actually a good idea, but are you really going to do that?
    I'm in if he is. Know anyone ion Moscow we can stay with before the big day?

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    You have of course now seriously dodged all the serious replies to your questions.
    Thread has reached its proper level of gravity.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Default Re: Why doesn't Europe just severtheir alliance with the US if they disagree with everything the US does?

They say.. one day Europa will regain their lost glory and will crush..any who stands in their way, and they will build a better world.
    You are absolutely right. That's our Manifest Destiny.Whoever controls the core of Europe controls the entire continent, and whoever controls all of Europe can dominate the world.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    A good troll is one who trolls trollers.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Praeses

Reassess your life goals, Imperator.
    Why be the heart, when you can be the hat?

Not sure how our Polish posters feel about this metaphor though.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I really don't understand the complaints OP has considering the events of August 2020 and January 2021 are clear sign of what happens when you reject the gentle civilizing hand of Europe.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Why doesn't Ross, the largest friend, simply eat the other friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Reassess your life goals, Imperator.
    Why be the heart, when you can be the hat?

Not sure how our Polish posters feel about this metaphor though.
    I like how "Germany" is the boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    This is especially the case militarily without the United Kingdom anymore (France was Europe's Army, Britain Europe's navy, and Germany is Europe's economy).
    The UK exited the EU, not NATO. The military assets of the various European countries are not subject to EU directives - the EU is an economic union, not a military one. Militarily, Europe is unaffected by Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissaki View Post
    The UK exited the EU, not NATO. The military assets of the various European countries are not subject to EU directives - the EU is an economic union, not a military one. Militarily, Europe is unaffected by Brexit.
    The EU is a political union. The Treaty on European Union provides for common defence policies (see Title V, Section II, Articles 42-46). I don't think Lisbon amended these provisions.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I was speaking about the hypothetical European Union common army which some EU officials have been trying to create for years. Obviously the UK would not participate in a continental European army at this point.

There are even some concerns about what an EU Army's relationship might be with NATO, considering that some member countries like Austria are constitutionally barred from joining NATO or any other defense alliance. This is also why Austria only joined the EU as a full member in 1995, after the collapse of the Warsaw Pact and when it appeared the EU's common defense clause wouldn't put Austria in direct conflict with any competing alliance blocs.
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; January 22, 2022 at 09:59 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

It does if Europe's goal is to bring back the glory days when they were masters.
    This is an extremely juvenile understanding of modern geopolitics. I'm assuming you're not yet done with high school/secondary school, but don't worry, I'm sure you will soon be offered a history class that covers the basics of the 20th century. You know, little events like World War I, World War II, the founding of NATO and the Cold War that ended only a generation ago while Russia continues saber rattling in Eastern Europe.

I'd say this entire thread is largely just bait that should be ignored by serious posters.

Correct, and the UK never adopted the Euro either. Brexit changes nothing except for the economic woes of British voters shooting themselves in the foot and suffering lost trade, businesses moving to the continent, diminished mobility abroad, worker shortages, and supply chain shortages as a result of their referendum. The United Kingdom along with France ensure that Europe is armed to the teeth with nuclear warheads and maintains the status quo of M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction), should Russia ever consider provoking NATO. Both sides know that a hot war is virtually impossible, and that has kept the peace for over 70 years aside from regional flareups like the Yugoslav Wars and the Russian seizure of the Crimean peninsula formerly controlled by Ukraine.

On that same note, the saber rattling against Russia in US and other Western media outlets promoted by hawkish think tanks and the military industrial complex is equally silly so long as NATO exists. If the OP doesn't understand that then that's his problem, but we should all probably collectively refrain from entertaining the OP and his amusing thread. There wasn't much effort put into the OP for that matter, or if I could steal a phrase from him to summarize his major points: "blah, blah, blah".

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    This is an extremely juvenile understanding of modern geopolitics. I'm assuming you're not yet done with high school/secondary school, but don't worry, I'm sure you will soon be offered a history class that covers the basics of the 20th century. You know, little events like World War I, World War II, the founding of NATO and the Cold War that ended only a generation ago while Russia continues saber rattling in Eastern Europe.

I'd say this entire thread is largely just bait that should be ignored by serious posters.
    Yet here we all are.

Correct, and the UK never adopted the Euro either.
    Mercifully.

Brexit changes nothing except for the economic woes of British voters shooting themselves in the foot and suffering lost trade, businesses moving to the continent, diminished mobility abroad, worker shortages, and supply chain shortages as a result of their referendum.
    Ho hum.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The United Kingdom along with France ensure that Europe is armed to the teeth with nuclear warheads and maintains the status quo of M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction), should Russia ever consider provoking NATO. Both sides know that a hot war is virtually impossible, and that has kept the peace for over 70 years aside from regional flareups like the Yugoslav Wars and the Russian seizure of the Crimean peninsula formerly controlled by Ukraine.
    I'm confident that the UK and France have nowhere near the nuclear stockpiles of Russia or the US. Though I agree that was/is NATO that keeps the peace in Europe (for the most part) and not, despite the claims of its keenest advocates, the EU.

On that same note, the saber rattling against Russia in US and other Western media outlets promoted by hawkish think tanks and the military industrial complex is equally silly so long as NATO exists. If the OP doesn't understand that then that's his problem, but we should all probably collectively refrain from entertaining the OP and his amusing thread. There wasn't much effort put into the OP for that matter, or if I could steal a phrase from him to summarize his major points: "blah, blah, blah".
    I think we've moved on from the deficiencies in the OP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12