Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: They Sold Their Souls

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Default Re: They Sold Their Souls

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    He said abiogenesis was the thing he went for, I asked why (not to explain again what was taught in biology and chemestry classes). Well seems there was no why to back it up.
    If my argument is unreasonable, his post was too ambitious and shouldn't be used in discussions regarding the Origin of Life.
    Why people agree with the concepts best described by abiogenesis? Because that's where the evidence points? That is the why part. Anything more is as said, unreasonable to ask.

Abiogenesis isn't a religion or group to be believed in. It is the name of a process that likely occurred. Again, if you're asking for an answer that requires more explaining than that, you're asking for something nonsensical.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

fkizz,

" With all respect, but suppose the new claim is that Earth is 8000 years old or 9000 years old. Everything else stays the same. Would it affect your faith? "

fkizz,

I believe that the Jews can trace their lineage all the way back to Adam which amounts to 5,781 years so I have no beef with that. My faith is built on what the Bible says and what Jesus Christ did for me when my life was changed the day God put me on my knees to believe on Him.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

So when a scientist claims that the world is much older, do you believe they have been mislead?
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    So when a scientist claims that the world is much older, do you believe they have been mislead?
    ggggtotalwarrior,

I think that they should believe and accept what God our Creator says and not what they think they see. When God completed creation all was up and running, appeared aged, but in actual fact was not because they don't believe that even a God could possibly do such a thing. They cannot visualise a Being called God could be that powerful simply because they are mere men, the product of that creation. So much is their desire to disprove God that evolution has to be the answer within billions of years in time, why? Because it is the only answer they can come up with albeit shrouded in the mists of time without evidence for it.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

God tricked us! I knew it! He placed a ton of irrefutable evidence that biblical stories are either apocryphal, allegorical or completely made up as a fun little prank while overseeing his 8000 year old flat world. Of course everything in the Bible is the direct word of God and not some biased shmuck writing down information hundreds of years after the fact
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

There's no way that someone could actually believe the things that he says lmao

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Hrm.

When I try to make something look old, it just comes off as a twee knock off.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    why are all potentially evil?
    Because people are generally selfish.

I'm not sure why Christians and theists in general continue to pretend to be such arbiters of morality. The church has had 2000 years to fix that and can't even get it under control within their own ranks as it rages like a wildfire.

Religion, especially in the US, has not and cannot fix "evil" when it continues to tolerate and propagate the cancer that has popped up inside of it over the past half century, especially with how much it has metastasized throughout the ranks in the last decade.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post

I'm not sure why Christians and theists in general continue to pretend to be such arbiters of morality. The church has had 2000 years to fix that and can't even get it under control within their own ranks as it rages like a wildfire.

Religion, especially in the US, has not and cannot fix "evil" when it continues to tolerate and propagate the cancer that has popped up inside of it over the past half century, especially with how much it has metastasized throughout the ranks in the last decade.
    To be fair most Christians I know don't claim to be able to fix evil, or claim to be moral arbiters. They say they love God and try to follow the example of Jesus, and if asked (and sometime even if they are not) they offer a way toward God which is away from evil.

In particular don't mistake the Church hierarchies as "the Christians", the Catholic hierarchy in Australia mouths a lot of nonsense written by dead popes, but the church, the body of believers does not and behaves in a more tolerant and ethical manner. If the sort of strict test the most sweaty paedophile-protecting ignorant benighted catholic ideologues love to rant about were applied I'd say 90-99% of Catholics in Australia would not be accepted. Luckily it is not, although a scumbag minority appears to persist in positions of power here. The Opus Dei scoundrels seem as bad as any.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    God tricked us! I knew it! He placed a ton of irrefutable evidence that biblical stories are either apocryphal, allegorical or completely made up as a fun little prank while overseeing his 8000 year old flat world. Of course everything in the Bible is the direct word of God and not some biased shmuck writing down information hundreds of years after the fact
    ggggtotalwarrior,

So please tell who the biased shmuck was that wrote of these things hundreds of years after the fact, what fact? And, where does it say that the earth is flat?

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post

Because, so far, whenever atheism was the dominant ideology it was always followed by extreme cases of immorality and the breakdown of moral structures. We've had both Christian and atheist regimes in the 20th century, and of the two it was the atheist ones that ended up with the rivers of blood.

No religion out there, not in the US, not in Europe, has ever claimed to be able or that it's mission is to "fix evil". That's just a big fat straw-man on your part. What religion provides to the unbeliever is a framework that helps move the mass of society in the right direction. It does not move everyone and it cannot move everyone but there is just enough critical mass to avoid Pol Pot and Elena Ceausescu.

You cannot "fix" evil without completely removing free will because people are naturally selfish susceptible to corruption. Until we evolve past that, which will take far longer that the US is going to be around, God is desperately needed, regardless if He does exist or not.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Campidoctor

We cannot fix 'evil' or 'sin' because we require it to survive. It's in our nature. Just watch animals. Or our own children, even. When left unattended, they'll play with each other. When you look again, they might bash their head in - in pursuit after a goal. After food. After a greater goal. After a toy. After wealth. After security.
    Toddler and adult alike. It is all the same.

We test. We survive. We make justice in our own image, based on our nature, and our experiences. We use religion, nationalism, science, whatever to justifice our means. It is always the same struggle. Freedom vs. security. In the end, we are all ego.
    I don't know why I even write this. Shouldn't 2020/2021 have been enough to show the madness?

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    Hrm.

When I try to make something look old, it just comes off as a twee knock off.
    antaeus,

Who ever said that God tried to make things look old? It is you evolutionists who are trying and failing to make things much older than they actually are. God made time, space and matter to have a certain lifespan which will happen yet you guys want to be greater than God by implying that we are only here by chance and according to the latest reckoning we have only a few years of life left in the place unless we sort things out very quickly. It shows that evolution is on a downward spiral rather than the opposite. So, having lived on this planet longer than most of you I'll stick with the God Who has the answers already in place.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

and according to the latest reckoning we have only a few years of life left in the place unless we sort things out very quickly.
    Well, you couldn't have picked a better way to show that you don't understand what the climate scientists are talking about.

t shows that evolution is on a downward spiral rather than the opposite
    Please walk me through how you think evolution and climate change are related to one another.

So, having lived on this planet longer than most of you I'll stick with the God Who has the answers already in place.
    :facepalm:

What a stupid attempt at appealing to authority. No one thinks you're smarter just because you're old, this isn't 1910 anymore.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

and according to the latest reckoning we have only a few years of life left in the place unless we sort things out very quickly.
    Well, you couldn't have picked a better way to show that you don't understand what the climate scientists are talking about.

t shows that evolution is on a downward spiral rather than the opposite
    Please walk me through how you think evolution and climate change are related to one another.

So, having lived on this planet longer than most of you I'll stick with the God Who has the answers already in place.
    :facepalm:

What a stupid attempt at appealing to authority. No one thinks you're smarter just because you're old, this isn't 1910 anymore.

The idea there is some kind of conflict between the law of entropy and evolutionary biology that needs to be explained is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of what the law of entropy is/means. Spoiler for hurty words.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UT_HRrA0ryw&t=135
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post

Evolution led to cows and humans. Cows and humans produce greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gas uses cause global warming. It's super effective. Species die. Biodiversity collapses. Evolution takes another turn
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

If nothing else, the basic problem of the Biblical creation account is not a question of context or symbolism. It represents the fundamental misunderstanding of the world inherent to the Mesopotamian creation myths overall: the assumption itself that what one might call “creation” happened in any one moment in time. It’s not about having faith in one story vs another, despite what more modern religious rhetoric might suggest, and certainly what I was led to believe for most of my life. These things can be measured and tested with consistent results. Appealing to the god of the gaps only becomes more difficult as science and technology advance.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vAgiHreswj0
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Evolution led to cows and humans. Cows and humans produce greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gas uses cause global warming. It's super effective. Species die. Biodiversity collapses. Evolution takes another turn
    I guess by that logic almost anything could be considered the result of evolution.

" In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." That was the first day of our being as given to Moses to write down for the benefit of the Israelites and subsequently us. It was Jesus Christ Who did that to begin a story that was ordained before the worlds were made and eventually given to us in 66 great Books that compile our Bible. The whole point of that Book is that it can save you or it can destroy your future which only time will tell. Being already condemned do you really want to remain in that situation?