Thread: Graphics Problem in Barbarian Invasion (Original) regarding Screen Resolution

Icon5 Graphics Problem in Barbarian Invasion (Original) regarding Screen Resolution

salve, sodales!
    I've just gotten back into RTW (the original, not the remastered) and I've been meaning to play Barbarian Invasion again too, but I've run into a nasty graphics problem for months now regarding screen resolution. This problem only happens with BI, by the way, not regular RTW for me.
    Here's a link to a screenshot, for reference: https://imgur.com/EC8SH93

So basically, the problem is that the screen resolution of BI does not fit the screen size of my laptop properly. I adjusted the preferences.txt file to allow me to use a 1920x1080 resolution (which is the resolution for my laptop, and I did the same thing in RTW and it worked fine), but when I selected that option the screen was far too zoomed in for the game to be playable, as basically a third of the screen was out of view. I tried going to smaller resolutions but the problem persisted with some of the screen being out of view, until I went to 1366x68x32 as you can see here, when the game just decided not to fit my screen at all, with the Steam app still visible.
    It's not even a problem of there being black bars around the game like I've heard before, which can be fixed by changing the resolution. It's like playing in a borderless windowed mode with the rest of my desktop visible, and either I have that or it's far too zoomed in as I said.
    I am using Windows 11 and again, my laptop resolution is 1920x1080. This problem is exclusive to BI, not regular RTW.

Could someone help me with fixing this, please?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Graphics Problem in Barbarian Invasion (Original) regarding Screen Resolution

Have you tried copying the RTW preferences file into BI? Just to make sure it's a BI problem and not a preferences issue, make a back up, just in case.

Check also the shortcut properties if it has the -ne switch - that sets the display to windowed.

Default Re: Graphics Problem in Barbarian Invasion (Original) regarding Screen Resolution

Hey, it actually worked! Ironically, I added "-ne" at the end of the BI.exe file in order for it to work like normal. But still, you gave me the advice about the -ne extension, so thank you either way!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries