Thread: Performance issues in my laptop

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Performance issues in my laptop

I have Attila Total War, no mods installed, only vanilla. My laptop specs:

MSI GE75 2020
    Display: 17.3'' 240 Hz 1920x1080
    CPU: Intel Core i7 10750H
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 performing at 2933 MHz
    Hard Drives: 512 GB SSD + 1 TB (Attila installed in SSD)
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super mobile 8GB DDR6

With a mix of settings quality and max. quality (shadows on quality, particles on quality, grass on quality), AA x4, unit size at large and most options checked I can get 65 fps on benchmark on average. When the custom battle starts 40 vs 40 I have over 70 fps but in the middle of battles when all units are engaged my fps goes to 16 fps. Is that normal? How can I fix it?

I made a lot of benchmarks and lowering AA to x2 means only 4 fps of difference at most, which is really strange AA does not have a big impact on performance in my computer. I did not notice any difference by putting vsync on or off as this option did not have any fps impact, as well as other graphics option. Whatever settings I put, fps drops a lot in battle. What is happening here?

Other Total War games I can run very well, I only have problems with Attila. In Rome 2, with everything max. but shadows on ultra and AA x4 I get 76 fps on average. In Three Kingdoms with almost everything max. I get 71 fps, in Troy with almost everything at max. 68 fps, Thrones of Britannia the same everything at max. but shadows lowered and AA x4 but everything else on ultra I get 70 fps, Shogun 2 everything at max I get 125 fps.

Default Re: Performance issues in my laptop

The benchmark option in the game is pretty much useless for measuring battle fps, since it stops before the fight really begins. I also got around 70 fps in large battles but huge fps drops after the fighting started. Lowering unit detail which makes dead bodies disappear gave me stable fps, so I thought it was the dead bodies that cause the lag. But after disabling the blood I could also play large battles with good performance, and with unit detail on quality. For some reason it seems to be the blood on the dead bodies causing the lag, not the dead bodies themselves. Tried a couple of blood mods from steam but it didn't make a difference so far. I guess you have to choose between bloody battles with no dead bodies, or battles with dead bodies but no blood.

My response comes a bit too late, but maybe it can help others who started to play the game recently like myself.