Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Christmas time again

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Christmas time again

Maximilian,

You assume too much my friend because the Bible is the best history book given to mankindby our Creator. Oh you may think it is all mythology but I tell you it is not. There is much more to that Book than meets the eye as any born again Christian will tell you, why? Because it is Supernatural having been written by men inspired by God in being His power to save. That Book fell into my hands quite mysteriously and it led me up here to the North of Scotland where in a little Baptist church in Hopeman I was saved and then baptised. I've seen first and secondhand miracles having happened in the name of Jesus Christ so when you say it is purely mythological I have to disagree quite sincerely.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    ...Oh you may think it is all mythology but I tell you it is not. There is much more to that Book than meets the eye as any born again Christian will tell you, why?
    If this is your attitude, then you are demeaning towards mythology. Myth is vitally important, and an incredible cultural force, and can convey deep meaning and insight into the divine. Myths are not stories that are untrue, they are stories that don't fit neatly into the historical record that serve as the foundation of a culture.

Because it is Supernatural having been written by men inspired by God...
    I could say the same of the Iliad and Odyssey, or the poems of Hesiod. Divinely inspired doesn't mean literally true; that's a leap of logic you are making.

I've seen first and secondhand miracles having happened in the name of Jesus Christ so when you say it is purely mythological I have to disagree quite sincerely.
    And I've had vivid epiphanies of the gods, but that does not translate automatically into the stories told about them being categorically, literally true. Some tales may indeed have shades of truth, but truth is a poetic thing as well. The deepest meanings and mysteries of the universe can be conveyed through metaphor and allegory. Mythic-literalism kneecaps you, as a man of faith, it boxes you in.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Maximilian,

There's truth and there's mythology. When Jesus Christ said, " I am the way, the truth and the life, " that wasn't a lie nor was it a myth, rather God continuing His reality in the midst of fallen mankind. It is to Him that we all shall answer on that great day of His return and by Him we shall all know where our destiny lies.

There is only One God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit and His story is the Bible and not only that but also the key to salvation for as many as the Lord God shall call.

So, does the Bible do what it says? Of course it does for on the one hand it turns man away from God because it is to them an offense and yet for others it draws them towards God when they are confronted with what Jesus Christ had to do for them so that their sin be forgiven, paid in blood by Jesus Christ. Is that a myth? No it is something experiential that turns a life on its head and cannot be turned back ever. So, as for being boxed in may I say I don't mind that at all if only because I now belong to God knowing that some day soon I will be joined to Him pain free.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567