Thread: (Possibly simple) mod request: replace Sally-out battles

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Default (Possibly simple) mod request: replace Sally-out battles

This is a request / enquiry for the possibility of removing the vanilla sally-out battles and replacing them with normal field battles situated on battle maps adjacent to the city tile.

One of the main things holding me back from playing Rome Remastered campaigns at length is the tedium with sieges and sally-out battles. I rarely besiege a settlement that the auto-resolve doesn't favour me on and sieges where I'm the besieged one are typically unwinnable so I auto-resolve those anyway. Sally-out battles on the other hand are normally initiated by me wanting to break a siege, often at a numerical / quality disadvantage that wouldn't favour me in auto-resolve but would be enough for me to win manually, thus I can't really avoid manually playing the sally-out battles.

One of the few aspects of Rome 2 I prefer over the original Rome is the way it gives you a normal pitched battle when you sally out. With the original Rome, I really hate the giant blobby traffic jam that ensues when you order your army out of the gates and the lack of time you have to then set-up a formation outside the walls. The whole experience is tedious and is immersion-killingly ridiculous-looking. I'd really prefer just to fight a normal pitched battle on an adjacent map tile instead.

So yeah, would anyone know how to create such a mod or point me to an existing mod that enables this? Thanks.
    Last edited by Evan MF; October 08, 2022 at 03:36 PM.

Default Re: (Possibly simple) mod request: replace Sally-out battles

That's a great idea that I've never thought of before. But I imagine that it probably is hardcoded somehow and can't be modded in, or otherwise someone would have done it already for either Rome I or Medieval II.
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Default Re: (Possibly simple) mod request: replace Sally-out battles

This is definitely hardcoded into the .exe. Can't be modded.