View Poll Results: What do you look for in Rome Remastered mods? (Select all that apply and elaborate in the poll thread)

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • A complete overhaul set in the same time period

6 46.15%
  • A campaign set in a different time period

2 15.38%
  • A different campaign setting, such as a fantasy world

0 0%
  • More realism

5 38.46%
  • More factions and units

3 23.08%
  • Improved AI behaviour

4 30.77%
  • Quality of life improvements

3 23.08%
  • Something else

1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What do you look for in Rome Remastered mods? (Select all that apply and elaborate in the poll thread)

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default What do you look for in Rome Remastered mods? (Select all that apply and elaborate in the poll thread)

What do you look for in Rome Remastered mods? (Select all that apply and elaborate in the poll thread)

• A complete overhaul set in the same time period
    • A campaign set in a different time period
    • A different campaign setting, such as a fantasy world
    • More realism
    • More factions and units
    • Improved AI behaviour
    • Quality of life improvements
    • Something else

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: What do you look for in Rome Remastered mods? (Select all that apply and elaborate in the poll thread)

Restoration of the original UI because the remastered UI is godawful and makes the game unplayable.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: What do you look for in Rome Remastered mods? (Select all that apply and elaborate in the poll thread)

That sounds very frustrating! Have you tried the UI mod by TesalionLortus - UI Overhaul Mod - or Gaius Julius Caesar II - Alternate UI? I hope there's a mod which helps.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Adrian has let his frustrations about the UI out many times lately. Is it really just that damn bad? I haven’t tried it yet but it’s incredible they’d go out of their way to change something that wasn’t even broken.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

UI is honestly not bad at all, and I think I'm going to make a video comparison because I just cannot understand how anyone can claim the game is unplayable. In fact, I prefer the new UI (despite the fact it was difficult to get used to at first). I can understand being used to something, and preferring it not to change, but such statements are just inflammatory.

It should be pointed out the new UI is more in line with the new Total War titles, and much easier to get on with for the players who might not have played the original Rome.

My biggest former gripe was the minimal UI on building and unit descriptions (now there is a button to make them big), and the fact we can only view a max of 10 buildings per city at once. Scrolling that takes long. I don't have any other problems.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

You have to click 5 times to read all notifications and 7! times to dismiss them, something which in the original was done with one click. The agent interface is confusing as hell even after 25 hours. I have to buy glasses to read unit/building descriptions and stats because they've pushed to the smallest corner possible with the smallest text possible. You can longer see enemy units stats. You can no longer see an estimate of income/unrest/devastation/etc per turn like you could in the original, building an recruiting have been pushed to a corner. You have to click 3 times to recruit or build something vs twice in the previous version. You have to click twice to see what your settlement is building and recruiting vs once in the original. Notifications do not auto-clear like they in every game starting with Shogun I. You have to click to see who owns a province, you have to click 4! times to tell a spy to move where you want. Plenty of times you have to open something on side of the screen and close it on the other.

I have no idea how you can say the UI/UX is not bad when it requires on average 400% more clicks per turn than any total war game. The fact that you have to get used to it as you say, is kind of indicative it's not good.

It's great for a mobile game, because moving the mouse across the screen repeatedly is not a problem you actually need multi-step actions and dead screen space due to the nature of the controls, however for PC it's something I expect a year II CS student would do and I have no idea how all of this got past the SCRUM master or QA.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; December 12, 2021 at 02:51 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    You have to click 5 times to read all notifications and 7! times to dismiss them
    Considering we have filters, you can just select the messages you want to see / don't want to see and then not be bothered by them at all.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I have to buy glasses to read unit/building descriptions and stats because they've pushed to the smallest corner possible with the smallest text possible.
    That's not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBISKTQsbew

You can no longer see enemy units stats.
    That's not true.
    Apart from the pic below, there's also a mod that allows you to make them full-size like in OG.

You can no longer see an estimate of income/unrest/devastation/etc per turn like you could in the original
    That's not true.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASx99rc3m4

You also have overview through the map

building an recruiting have been pushed to a corner. You have to click 3 times to recruit or build something vs twice in the previous version. You have to click twice to see what your settlement is building and recruiting vs once in the original. Notifications do not auto-clear like they in every game starting with Shogun I.
    About the "3 clicks to recruit/build"
    1) Double click on the settlement + select the building you want to build = 2.
    2) Click on the settlement + click on recruitment/building + select the desired object = 3
    Is that what you mean? It's EXACTLY the same in OG. I just checked it.

Rest is true.

You have to click to see who owns a province
    Not true. You just have to hold SHIFT instead of ALT like you're probably used to.

you have to click 4! times to tell a spy to move where you want.
    I click on an agent, and then click on the place where I want that agent to go. No idea where you got the four from.

Plenty of times you have to open something on side of the screen and close it on the other.
    Or you can just use the escape button.

I have no idea how you can say the UI/UX is not bad when it requires on average 400% more clicks per turn than any total war game.
    I just clearly proved that this is not true.

The fact that you have to get used to it as you say, is kind of indicative it's not good.
    You have to get used to it because you come expecting the same interface. Perhaps "used to" is not the right word. "Re-learn" would be better. It's more in lines with new Total War games, which makes it easier for people who recently joined the franchise.

It's great for a mobile game, because moving the mouse across the screen repeatedly is not a problem you actually need multi-step actions and dead screen space due to the nature of the controls, however for PC it's something I expect a year II CS student would do and I have no idea how all of this got past the SCRUM master or QA.
    Use the escape button.
    Last edited by komisarek; December 12, 2021 at 07:14 AM.