View Poll Results: Whom do you support and to what extent?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support Ukraine fully.

104 69.33%
  • I support Russia fully.

16 10.67%
  • I only support Russia's claim over Crimea.

4 2.67%
  • I only support Russia's claim over Crimea and Donbass (Luhansk and Donetsk regions).

11 7.33%
  • Not sure.

7 4.67%
  • I don't care.

8 5.33%

Thread: Russia, US, Ukraine, and the Future

Default Re: Russia, US, Ukraine, and the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Loyt View Post
    You are confusing two completely different things here. Russian ethnicity and russian state aka Russian Federation. Politics are anti-Russia, but there is not etnic discrimination. I don't see big issue here. Even in Crimea (if Ukraine will manage to return it) majority will simply keep living under new government like before. Some will leave due to political reasons, of course, especially those arrived after 2014.
    I am not convinced that is true, considering past examples (c.f. Yugoslavia).

Quote Originally Posted by Laser101 View Post
    I am not convinced that is true, considering past examples (c.f. Yugoslavia).
    You realise that millions of ethnic russians live in Ukraine right now, even if we only count ukraine-controlled lands? And half-russians are about quarter of populace? They are not persecuted, they have same rights, and they fight Russia like everyone else around. Being russian by blood doesn't automatically mean loving and approving of Russian Federation. Most of those peoples might never been in "Russia proper", they are citizens of Ukraine and consider it their homeland.

Peresvet's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Peresvet, being a political opponent of the Russian regime does not mean one wants to see his own country hit by missiles that the "American cowards" (sic) refuse to offer Ukraine.

And, if you are Russian, you should know that, according to the Ukrainian leaders all Russians are guilty for their government’s crimes. That includes you.
    The sane Germans in 1941-45 also wished for the defeat of their country and its army, since I do not consider this putinist army to be mine. I have never served in it and do not intend to, it carries out criminal orders. Kills women and children, bombs peaceful cities and power plants. I have never voted for putin and have always fought him as an activist in the Yavlinsky-led Apple party in Russia. But now putin's Nazi dictatorship has finally been established in the country, which has made any legal political activity impossible. It remains only to wish for the defeat of the russian army, after which there will be a regime change.

millions of Russians are against the putin regime and want to defeat their country and its army, I think at least one third of the country's population. They were forced to leave the country after the outbreak of the war. Thousands of Russians are fighting in the Ukrainian army as part of the Legion of Free Russia. And the Ukrainian government supports such Russians. For example, such as Ilya Ponomarev or Mark Feigin, who are fighting putin's Nazi regime in other countries. And yes, in Russia, just because I do not support the war, I would immediately be put in jail.
    Last edited by Peresvet; December 30, 2022 at 08:55 AM.
    I am Russian and I hate putin and war. Stop war in Ukraine.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Peresvet View Post
    The sane Germans in 1941-45 also wished for the defeat of their country and its army,
    Not exactly.They wanted to reclaim their country- and stop the war, not the obliteration of their country.On 1944, and even before, Germany was on its way to defeat.It's also true that Stauffenberg agreed with some aspects of the nationalist ideology of the German Nazi Party, even supporting Germany's invasion of Poland.

Anyway, if someday in the future, if the Russian democratic dissidents succeed and overthrow the current regime (highly unlikely for now), if it results in a true multi-party democratic regime (not one like the Ukrainian regime) they should try not to let the resulting chaos destroy Russia as well, which would give a lot of people a lot of satisfaction. But in the end, whatever regime Russia may have in the future, it will always be viewed with distrust and hostility by the US, in context of hegemonic competition. Europe, weaker militarily but economically powerful (it’s the third largest economy in the world) does not seek to compete in the hegemonic battle. That’s the reason why Macron desires to address Russia's need for security guarantees.
    Zelensky knows that Ukraine has no chance of winning alone this war, no matter how many weapons are sent to it. He is waiting for a miracle, the US direct intervention in the war. All weapons can do is make the war more costly for Russia, which it’s in the U.S interests to do so. This doesn’t benefit Ukrainians, Russians, and the Europeans.

---
    Washington had slaves, but that's not the reason he is praised by americans
    Washington had slaves, because he was a product of his time, and that was 300 years ago. But I don't recall Washington murdering thousands of black North Americans to make the United States a mono-ethnic state. In Ukraine, the strong reactions to the Bandera "honor" highlight a schism that has caused so much instability in Ukraine in the last 20 years. In 2010, Bandera was named a “Hero of Ukraine” by Yushchenko, sparking anger in Europe and Israel. In 2018, the authorities in Lviv, announced that 2019 would be the “Year of Stepan Bandera”, again sparking protests from Israeli government. Right now, a positive attitude towards the exterminator of Jews and Poles prevails in the Western macro region of Ukraine. (70%).

Fighting for independence is the reason he is made hero.
    I know that the notorious exterminator of Jews and Poles is considered a Ukrainian hero, a man who wanted to be the dictator of his own country and carry out a Nazi-style ethnic cleansing to make Ukraine a country of ethnic purity. This heritage still endures inside the Ukraine’s government. Bandera was someone the American CIA considered dangerous. Why don't you take some time to read what is extensively described in the document published by the US national archives? even the Poles, so friendly to the Ukrainians, take offense when Ukraine denies the ethnic cleansing that Bandera did.
    Zelensky has already said that he wants for his country an illiberal, heavily policed regime. Like Israel, he says. Which will not be a very desirable option, now that "Jewish fascism" comes to power by the hand of Netanyahu, the most extremist religious regime in Israel's history. Ask nhytgbvfeco2 what he thinks of Netanyahu, ask American Jews the same question. If the new definition of who is a Jew goes forward- only those who have a Jewish mother will be considered Jews- the implications for millions of Jews in the diaspora will be enormous. The changes will mean an end to the power of the Supreme Court, as much discrimination as possible, more state power over the police, and a rush to annex the West Bank, and the legalization of 70 settlements in occupied territory, to prevent the possibility of a two-state solution once and for all.
    ---
    When the time comes for the current Ukrainian regime to renounce its Nazi founder and become a multi-party country, when it stops asking the world to send all Russians back to Russia, when it renounces the burning of Russian classical and children's literature, when it stops banning scientific articles written by Russians, when it stops banning the teaching of the Russian language, then let me know.

So, Is Russia Fascist Now? Labels and Policy Implications- The Washington Quarterly
    Claiming the moral high ground with righteous hawkish geopolitical posturing in the hopes of bringing about a “Russia Year Zero” is thus counterproductive and could very easily backfire. This hyper-moralization seems to match the US’s ill-defined war endgame: is the goal to force Russia to leave Ukraine, or do we want to see Russia definitively weakened in its great power status? The West may have to downgrade its expectations of what “success” means in ending the war. The arrogance of maximalism embodied by the “fascism” qualifier, both analytically wrong and morally hawkish, is unlikely to push us closer to a solution for Ukraine and for Europe, as well as for Russia’s long-term future.
    Let’s forget for a moment the indelible Nazi matrix of the Ukrainian government. Russia invaded Ukraine mainly because it was provoked to do so, as the unsuspected democrat Peter Slezkine acknowledges. (Professor of History, Director of the Institute of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley; 2002: National Jewish Book Award in the Eastern European Studies for The Jewish Century), in a recent interview to a Portuguese newspaper. O Ocidente mandou “várias vezes a Rússia para o diabo”

He says that there were two reasons why this war was launched. One has to do with NATO and the United States, and the other has to do with Ukraine. The Bolsheviks somehow created artificial borders, made arbitrary decisions, like transferring Crimea to Ukraine. The point, he says, is that Ukraine is a patchwork, the result of a recent creation (*). On the one hand, Ukraine was being turned into a Western satellite, and on the other hand, the Eastern Russian-speaking population was being converted into Ukrainians. Ukraine was clearly being transformed into a mono-ethnic state.
    Slezkine says that as a historian, he can't imagine any Russian ruler saying that if Ukraine wants to join a hostile military alliance, it has the right to do so. If the country that borders yours is extremely hostile and wants to join a hostile military alliance, and is getting stronger every day, there is a problem. They did not have to join NATO; they were already part of NATO before the invasion, although not formally. One of the reasons Russia launched this war was that the US and NATO in general were arming Ukraine. The Ukrainians have been getting weapons from NATO for 8 years, long before Putin decided to launch this war.

And he concludes, “Besides being an empire because it is a multinational state, Russia is also an empire because it sees itself as a sovereign actor. If NATO is getting closer and more hostile, it all depends on whether Russia considers itself strong enough to resist. And then he concludes: “Russia thinks it is.”

(*)
    As von Hagen asserted, “today’s Ukraine is a very modern creation, with little firmly established precedent in the national past” The Moulding of Ukraine - Chapter two. In search of a tradition

On a side note. The war in Ukraine has cemented the distinction between the “free world” and the paradigmatic status given to Russia and Chinese autocracies relative to other autocracies. Minute 21.06.

Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Anyway, if someday in thefuture, if the Russian democratic dissidents succeed and overthrowthe current regime (highly unlikely for now), if it results ina true multi-party democratic regime (not one like theUkrainian regime) they should try not to let the resulting chaosdestroy Russia as well, which would give a lot of people a lot ofsatisfaction. But in the end, whatever regime Russia may have in thefuture, it will always be viewed with distrust and hostility by theUS, in context of hegemonic competition. Europe, weaker militarilybut economically powerful (it’s the third largest economy inthe world) does not seek to compete in the hegemonic battle.That’s the reason why Macron desires to address Russia's need forsecurity guarantees.
    You have an amazing ability to ignore what the Russian are actually saying. Medvedev just bade it clear it some vague security hand holding Russia wants about recognition of all the declared annexations and reducing Ukraine to puppet status.

Zelensky knows that Ukraine has no chance of winning alone this war, no matter how many weapons are sent to it. He is waiting for a miracle, the US direct intervention in the war. All weapons can do is make the war more costly for Russia, which it’s in the U.S interests to do so. This doesn’t benefit Ukrainians, Russians, and the Europeans.

Actually not true – since so far the US/NATO has just sent sufficient weapons for Ukraine to not loose. If the West was to actually properly supply Ukraine its chances of winning would be quite good.

The Ukrainians have been getting weapons from NATO for 8 years, long before Putin decided to launch this war.

It serves you pooly to make stuff up. What military support was Ukraine getting before Russia seized illegibly the Crimea and tried to do the same in Donbas (Partial success) andOdessa and Kharkiv

And he concludes, “Besides being an empire because it is a multinational state, Russia is also an empire because it sees itself as a sovereign actor. If NATO is getting closer and more hostile, it all depends on whether Russia considers itself strong enough to resist. And then he concludes: “Russia thinks it is.”

Ahh once again we come to the point where this a game and Russia picked the my feeling are really important more so than say those of Polandor Romania who really where kinda happy to see the backside of Russia and wanted it to stay that way.

Also going to ignore the Kaliningrad question? I mean Ludicus be consistent. Its a very recent completely artificial creation of Russia imperialism and with an artificial Russian population. Armed to the teeth its a threat to Poland, Germany etc. Given Russia seems to be bad at identifying passenger jet aircraft from military bombers(Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, Korean Air Lines Flight 902 and 007).Surly you see why say Poland might be uncomfortable with a pile ofS400 and S300 batteries there? I am sure would support Poland's right to ask the place be demilitarized on the threat of invasion? Or Does Poland have no agency in world view?

edit weird pasting over from open office is delating spaces in random bits of my text.

To negotiate the inevitable peace.Sooner, the better. The United States will not support Ukraine all the way. If you haven't read it, read it now.
    When courting quasi-allies like Ukraine becomes a moral hazard.
    Fairly insulting piece nobody but the US has agency and its quasi allies are just fools and stupid. And of course stitching together wieldy different 'quasi allies' across time space and circumstance so as to have no actual analytical meaning.
    Last edited by conon394; December 30, 2022 at 11:08 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

I know that the notorious exterminator of Jews and Poles is considered a Ukrainian hero, a man who wanted to be the dictator of his own country and carry out a Nazi-style ethnic cleansing to make Ukraine a country of ethnic purity. This heritage still endures inside the Ukraine’s government.
    Where exactly this heritage still endures? Why don't you stop with demagogy and name politics and parties in ukraine government endorsing dictatorship and nazy-style ethnic cleansing? Who?
    Even outside of government, real modern ukrainian nationalists like "Right Sector" are only using Bandera as symbol, not as ideologist.
    Why don't you take some time to read what is extensively described in the document published by the US national archives?
    I let you in on a secret - Bandera is dead. It doesn't matter anymore, it's only a history. We a talking about the present. Why don't you show us US (or any other) archives about atrocities and crimes of present day ukraine nationalists?
    These fairy tales about imminent ethnic cleansing of russians i hear from 2014. But they didn't happen. Because it's nothing but illusion, created by propaganda.
    The Bolsheviks somehow created artificial borders, made arbitrary decisions, like transferring Crimea to Ukraine. The point, he says, is that Ukraine is a patchwork, the result of a recent creation (*).
    This nonsense again? And he calls himself historian?
    Slezkine says that as a historian, he can't imagine any Russian ruler saying that if Ukraine wants to join a hostile military alliance, it has the right to do so. If the country that borders yours is extremely hostile and wants to join a hostile military alliance, and is getting stronger every day, there is a problem. They did not have to join NATO; they were already part of NATO before the invasion, although not formally. One of the reasons Russia launched this war was that the US and NATO in general were arming Ukraine. The Ukrainians have been getting weapons from NATO for 8 years, long before Putin decided to launch this war.
    From historian to loyal propagandist of Putin. "Ukraine already part of NATO", what a joke.
    And he concludes, “Besides being an empire because it is a multinational state, Russia is also an empire because it sees itself as a sovereign actor.
    It's empire, because it sees all it's post-soviet neighbors as vassals, servants who only allowed to be as long as they serve vell. Russian propaganda even stopped to hide their arrogance in recent times. F#*king nazi ubermensch cosplayers.
    Last edited by Loyt; December 30, 2022 at 01:01 PM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Who said anything about unconditional surrender?
    No one is going to invade Russia if it just fcks off.
    No one is going to invade Russia even if it doesn't. For that you'd need working anti-nuclear missile tech.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

saamohod's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    No one is going to invade Russia even if it doesn't.
    It already happened when Ukraine retook Kherson recently.
    You see, it's easy to invade a county which due to its own idiocy doesn't have well-defined borders.
    "Orcs were mustering, and far to the east and the south the wild peoples were arming."
    J.R.R.Tolkien.

Quote Originally Posted by Stario View Post
    This is beginning of the end for Ukraine. Ukrainian defeat is all but inevitable; unfortunately there's going to be alot of dying between now and then. 
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Stario View Post
    The defeat of Ukraine will also be very embarrassing for US/NATO...

Peresvet's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by saamohod View Post
    It already happened when Ukraine retook Kherson recently.
    You see, it's easy to invade a county which due to its own idiocy doesn't have well-defined borders.

The main idiocy of the putin regime is that it is trying to conquer Ukrainian territories and impose its power there, despite the fact that in the territory of indigenous Russia, people in many ways live worse than in Africa. The minimum wage in Russia is lower than in African countries, in my former city, where I was born, people survive on a salary of 300 dollars! This is considered a good income in the provinces of Russia. In many villages there is no gas, the houses have wooden toilets on the street, the roads are broken and have not been repaired for centuries. And at the same time, instead of improving life in his country, the idiot putin started a war with Ukraine and destroyed it, spending billions of dollars of the budget on it. Instead of helping needy Russians like me.

You realise that millions of ethnic russians live in Ukraine right now, even if we only count ukraine-controlled lands? And half-russians are about quarter of populace? They are not persecuted, they have same rights, and they fight Russia like everyone else around. Being russian by blood doesn't automatically mean loving and approving of Russian Federation. Most of those peoples might never been in "Russia proper", they are citizens of Ukraine and consider it their homeland.
    As I understand it, Russophone =/= 'ethnic Russian' (this precise misunderstanding probably forms a decent part of why Putin thought eastern Ukraine would fold). The vast majority of Russian-speakers in mainland Ukraine still identify as ethnic Ukrainians, even if they do not speak Ukrainian; furthermore, the rural population is still predominantly Ukrainian-speaking with Russian being more prevalent among the urban population. Neither of these conditions apply in Crimea; most Crimean ethnic Ukrainians are Russian speakers (as with the Crimean Tatars), but they are distinct from the ethnic Russian population.

For an analogy, consider Ireland. The vast majority of the Irish population speak English as their first language, and most are monolingual in English (actually, under EU rules, Irish would technically qualify as a 'minority language' if it was not official). Nevertheless, the Irish population still consider themselves ethnically Irish. On the other hand, the Ulster Unionists (who of course are also English speakers) do not consider themselves ethnically Irish.

As I understand it, Russophone =/= 'ethnic Russian' (this precise misunderstanding probably forms a decent part of why Putin thought eastern Ukraine would fold). The vast majority of Russian-speakers in mainland Ukraine still identify as ethnic Ukrainians, even if they do not speak Ukrainian; furthermore, the rural population is still predominantly Ukrainian-speaking with Russian being more prevalent among the urban population.
    It is true, but i didn't count russians by language. There are lots of ethnic russians live in Ukraine, more in south and east, but also Kiev and most big cities.
    Neither of these conditions apply in Crimea; most Crimean ethnic Ukrainians are Russian speakers (as with the Crimean Tatars), but they are distinct from the ethnic Russian population.
    Oh please, in most cases you won't be able to distinguish one from the other. Globalization works
    Biggest problem in Crimea is much smaller part of populace speaking ukrainian, but not unsurmountable. Etnicity - who cares?
    And, of cource, all these peoples lived for years in russian information space, with it's agressive propaganda and imperialistic fascist ideology. That needs to be amended too.

You see, if you turn off brainwashing, Russia didn't bring much good even in Crimea, people didn't become wealthier and their rights only decreased. And LNR/DNR? Russia robed and destroyed those regions. "Saviors", such irony.
    It might looked as "greenier pastures" in 2014 for many, not anymore.

It is true, but i didn't count russians by language. There are lots of ethnic russians live in Ukraine, more in south and east, but also Kiev and most big cities.

Oh please, in most cases you won't be able to distinguish one from the other. Globalization works
    Biggest problem in Crimea is much smaller part of populace speaking ukrainian, but not unsurmountable. Etnicity - who cares?
    And, of cource, all these peoples lived for years in russian information space, with it's agressive propaganda and imperialistic fascist ideology. That needs to be amended too.
    I don't think it's correct to say that the attitudes of the local populace are simply a result of "brainwashing". Russian claims to that effect regarding Ukrainian rejection of Russian rule aren't taken at all seriously, so I don't really see a reason to take similar Ukrainian claims any more seriously.

You see, if you turn off brainwashing, Russia didn't bring much good even in Crimea, people didn't become wealthier and their rights only decreased. And LNR/DNR? Russia robed and destroyed those regions. "Saviors", such irony.
    It might looked as "greenier pastures" in 2014 for many, not anymore.
    That may be true, but matters of identity are seldom rational affairs.

I don't think it's correct to say that the attitudes of the local populace are simply a result of "brainwashing".
    Mostly is. Absolute majority were content living in Ukraine before 2014. And money factor - Russia was more wealthy in 2014 (altough, honestly, Russia is very "patchy" in that aspect, most of it's regions are poor as dirt).
    But most important thing here is that populace didn't matter, Russia wanted to take Crimea and done it in swift millitary "special operation". Good attitude was just handy for justifications later on.
    That may be true, but matters of identity are seldom rational affairs.
    What does it matter now? Russia became greedy and started new war, disregarding safety of crimean population. Now future borders will be decided by military results.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    No one is going to invade Russia even if it doesn't. For that you'd need working anti-nuclear missile tech.
    Indeed, and no one has threatened to invade it. I'm glad we're in agreement that Russia had no legitimate reason to invade Ukraine.

Peresvet's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Indeed, and no one has threatened to invade it. I'm glad we're in agreement that Russia had no legitimate reason to invade Ukraine.
    putin said in his New Year's address to the Russians that his motive is "the formation of a multipolar world") and no one knows what he looks like. And for this it was worth killing hundreds of thousands of people and destroying the cities of Ukraine in order to allegedly protect people from the Ukrainian army and form an abstract called a multipolar world. https://t.me/tgrussia/15042

Peresvet's Avatar Civis

the russian army continues to terrorize the civilian population of Ukraine

We collected the results of shelling on December 31 in the cities:

▪️Kyiv - 1 person died and 21 injured, a hotel, a private house and educational institutions were damaged;

▪️ Zaporozhye region - 4 people were injured, 2 private houses were destroyed, 8 houses were damaged;

▪️ Khmelnytsky - out of ten victims, 8 were hospitalized (3 in serious condition), there was a hit in a military facility, a gas station and residential buildings;

▪️Nikolaev - rashists beat in different parts of the city, 6 people were injured, three of them were hospitalized. The mayor of the city Alexander Senkevich reports that 2 private houses are completely destroyed, 12 houses are damaged. Windows were broken in 3 educational institutions. Also, as a result of the shelling, a garage cooperative was on fire, which has already been extinguished.

https://t.me/Pravda_Gerashchenko/58316

russian army must be declare as terrorist organisation and all russian soldiers and officers must be arrested in any countries of world as terrorists.
    Last edited by Peresvet; December 31, 2022 at 10:34 AM.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Peresvet View Post
    putin said in his New Year's address to the Russians that his motive is "the formation of a multipolar world")
    It doesn't matter what Putin said, I want to hear what you think about the subject. There are many democratic countries in the world that prefer to live in a multilateral world.As of tomorrow, Brazil will have a new president Lula sets out expansive vision for Brazilian foreign policy

Where exactly this heritage still endures?.
    In 2021, a study carried out this year by the Democratic Initiatives Center shows that 70% of western Ukrainians have a favorable view of Bandera as a historical figure .Controversy as Ukraine mulls giving hero status to ..Euronews

What I believe is the most recent study. The findings of a sociological survey conducted by the Ilko Kucheriv Democratic Initiatives Foundation in cooperation with the Razumkov Centre sociological service on 5-12 August 2022.

In your opinion, was the role of historical figure of Stepan Bandera rather positive or negative for Ukraine?

Rather positive (49.6%)
    Both positive and negative (19.4%)
    Hard to say / Don't know (18.1%)
    Rather negative (11.1%)
    I have not heard about this historical figure (1.8%)
    Those who have a positive image of the butcher of Jews and Poles arefar from being a minority.

Bandera is dead. It doesn't matter anymore, it's only a history
    Not really, it's not "only history". Bandera's nazi legacy is well and alive in Ukraine.

And he calls himself historian?
    He doesn't need to call himself a historian. He is an historian. Yuri Slezkine
    if you read what he writes, you will see that he has no sympathy for Putin. But for that you must read, and nowadays nobody has the patience to read anything.

“Ukraine already part of NATO", what a joke.
    Isn't it, since a long time ago? the joke is to claim otherwise. I don't think it is worthwhile to make a detailed history of this relationship that began on the Ukrainian Independence Day, 1991.

It's empire, because it sees all it's post-soviet neighbors as vassals,
    No, because it sees itself as a sovereign actor and a multi-ethnic state (yesterday, today, and tomorrow) whether it is an autocracy or a liberal democracy. Russia is the US historical enemy, whatever government it has, until it ceases to exist. What I say is said and written by the American Press and American politicians, according to the perspectives they have, in a negative or positive way. Since the United States is a liberal democracy, it is pertinent to ask on what ground of right is the US justified in continuing to assert the Monroe Doctrine? There are many Americans who claim that they have no need whatever of the Monroe Doctrine any longer, but it continues to be used, and in a very explicit way. The return of the Monroe doctrine | The Economist

But don't just throw the blame on Trump because the Democratic Party practices American hegemonic expansionism with much more fervor. Do you want me to address the issue of capitalist exploitative practices? It’s an old practice, and in 1905 no one was ashamed to say it,” We are the people who can provide the brains, the capital, and the political security requisite for the exploitation of practically a seventh of the surface of the earth.” Charles F. Dole

F#*king nazi ubermensch cosplayers
    It is easy to please audiences with emotive hate speech. There are Nazis in every country in the world. What about Ukraine? I would like to echo Gabriel Rockhill's words, a French American philosopher on March 30, 2022, Who is Gabriel Rockhill
    Disputing the existence of Nazis and fascists in Ukraine serves the purpose of constructing a twisted but simplistic narrative loosely based on WWII: Putin is an evil, Hitler-like figure intent on attacking the freedom-loving Ukrainian government and its innocent supporters.
    The goal of such a narrative is to foster blind and unquestioning support for the Zelenskyy government..
    A “humanitarian” war, meaning a brutal NATO intervention that would likely spark WWIII, is thereby presented as a viable option. In this context, any attempt to provide a sober and concrete analysis of the actual history of Nazism in the region runs the risk of being disingenuously labeled and dismissed as “pro-Putin” because it does not support this war-mongering narrative.
    But an examination that accounts for the complexities of concrete situations reveals that there is indeed a deep and expansive history of fascism in Ukraine, which has been aided and abetted by the U.S. government
    And while this is true now, it is worth mentioning that tens of years ago, amazingly, even the CIA had a very negative image of Bandera. Bandera is well and alive, until the day it is definitively buried - a day that seems far away.
    ---
    Ukraine has the right to its independence, with or without Nazis in its government and society. Of course it does. But it will lose Crimea and the Donbas, it will have to negotiate that loss, and it will be a neutral country. That will only not happen if the US enters the war directly, but the neocons are already moving to the Indo-Pacific, and they will soon forget Ukraine.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Peresvet's Avatar Civis

It doesn't matter what Putin said, I want to hear what you think about the subject. There are many democratic countries in the world that prefer to live in a multilateral world.As of tomorrow, Brazil will have a new president Lula sets out expansive vision for Brazilian foreign policy

I believe that we already live in a multipolar world, there is no dominance of the West, what the stupid idiot putin says in order to legitimize his aggression and revenge on Western countries and Ukraine. The world has become global for a long time, the borders are blurred and it doesn’t matter who and what country dominates it, only science, intelligence and finance, the development of a person as a person are important, and nationalism is an archaism that the crazy maniac putin lives in, building his aggression and war on stereotypes 19th century. I consider myself a citizen of the world, a cosmopolitan and I do not think that nationalism is important now. Although I respect the history and traditions of Russia, it is putin and the current Russian state who are doing everything to set the majority of the world's population against Russia and Russian culture, traditions and history. I love Tarkovsky's films, but he was forced to leave the country because he did not want to submit to the totalitarian regime and its dictates in his art. The current government does exactly the same, it ousted all free people from the country, having arranged a totalitarian dictatorship and war.

saamohod's Avatar Tiro

Ukraine has the right to its independence, with or without Nazis in its government and society. Of course it does. But it will lose Crimea and the Donbas, it will have to negotiate that loss, and it will be a neutral country.
    I wonder where did Kherson, Kharkov and Zaporizhia go? They're part of Russia, did you forget? The choice of only Donbass and Crimea looks pretty arbitrary.
    Ukraine will be a neutral country as soon as Russia becomes one. As long as Russian leadership and sizeable proportion of populace behave no better than rabid dogs, Ukraine will remain strongly anti-Russian, for obvious reasons.
    "Orcs were mustering, and far to the east and the south the wild peoples were arming."
    J.R.R.Tolkien.