View Poll Results: Whom do you support and to what extent?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support Ukraine fully.

104 69.33%
  • I support Russia fully.

16 10.67%
  • I only support Russia's claim over Crimea.

4 2.67%
  • I only support Russia's claim over Crimea and Donbass (Luhansk and Donetsk regions).

11 7.33%
  • Not sure.

7 4.67%
  • I don't care.

8 5.33%

Thread: Russia, US, Ukraine, and the Future

reavertm's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Russia, US, Ukraine, and the Future

In other news, partitioning of Russia has begun.

Joking aside, Lukashenka sort of joked about Belarus taking good care of Kaliningrad/Koenigsberg/Kralovec/Królewiec if it was closer as it was (to Belarus) during the times of Soviet Union. Or did he? 😂

https://wydarzenia-interia-pl.transl..._x_tr_pto=wapp
    (Google translated from Polish article, there's video evidence for those who understand Belarusian)

Was it classical Lukashenka power play (trying to stick it up to Putin in subtle fashion once he managed to return from Moscow and not die unlike Bierut in 1956) or you think he knows something and in ex. he asked Putin for Kralovec (Kralovec je cesky btw) in exchange for Belarus entering the war?
    Last edited by reavertm; June 05, 2023 at 08:40 PM.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Evacuations under way near Kherson after destruction of dam prompts flooding

Head of the Kherson region says water will reach ‘critical level’ in coming hours; Zelenskiy to hold emergency meeting over Nova Kakhova dam explosion
    Ukraine’s foreign affairs minister has called the destruction of the dam “probably Europe’s largest technological disaster in decades” and a “heinous war crime”
    80 settlements, including Kherson, are in the flash flood zone. Hundreds of thousands of people affected. Water supplies to much of southern Ukraine is out.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates View Post
    Evacuations under way near Kherson after destruction of dam prompts flooding

80 settlements, including Kherson, are in the flash flood zone. Hundreds of thousands of people affected. Water supplies to much of southern Ukraine is out.

Saw this. Guess the Russians want to do anything to stop the Ukrainians from advancing.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

So much to Russia invincible army that like Hitlers Nero order in early 45 to blow up everything from infrastructure, what could be used by the enemy. Torched earth.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Russkiy Mir.

Words cannot describe how much I hate Russia right now. The world would be better off if it ceased to exist.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    So much to Russia invincible army that like Hitlers Nero order in early 45 to blow up everything from infrastructure, what could be used by the enemy. Torched earth.
    William the Silent breached the dykes to defend the Netherlands from the French, it's a tried and true tactic, although it does smack of scorched earth strategy.

It's definitely a desperation play

StarDreamer's Avatar Domesticus

Desperate and unnecessary, I doubt Ukraine would have tried attacking over the river. Likely a forerunner to other scorched earth tactics, no house will be left standing, no field unburnt when/if the invaders retreat.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/ana...2.38&soc=-3.44 <-- "Dangerous far right bigot!" -SJWs

The collapsing of the dam shows not just desperation but how Russia have no confidence in its own military.
    The Armenian Issue

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I suppose no investigation is needed here to conclude who blew the dam. Similar to the Nordstream destruction.

Tbh I'd be very surprised if anyone in the russian state expected "the west" to take Russia's side, and thus making it in any way a good plan for Russia to destroy its own dam so as to blame Ukraine. But like I said, no investigation needed.
    Last edited by Kyriakos; June 06, 2023 at 03:01 AM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Russkiy Mir.

Words cannot describe how much I hate Russia right now. The world would be better off if it ceased to exist.
    Putin and his cronies like to prattle on about how Russia is indispensable to the word and that a world without Russia wouldn't be worth living in, but it's been clear for decades now that Russia could sink into the ocean and the world would be a better place.

After this I wouldn't blame Ukraine for deciding that deliberately causing meltdowns in Russian nuclear plants is now in play.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    The collapsing of the dam shows not just desperation but how Russia have no confidence in its own military.
    Nor should it. They're already being pushed out of Bakhmut: https://www.newsweek.com/bakhmut-rus...asimov-1804502

Days after forces from Russia's Wagner Group withdrew from Bakhmut in eastern Ukraine, its chief, Yevgeny Prigozhin, said the city is no longer under Russian control, and that troops under the leadership of Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov are fleeing.
    Ukrainian forces have now retaken part of the settlement of Berkhivka, north of Bakhmut, Prigozhin said, calling it "shameful."

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I suppose no investigation is needed here to conclude who blew the dam. Similar to the Nordstream destruction.

Tbh I'd be very surprised if anyone in the russian state expected "the west" to take Russia's side, and thus making it in any way a good plan for Russia to destroy its own dam so as to blame Ukraine. But like I said, no investigation needed.
    Why would Ukraine destroy the dam when it would make it harder for them to advance across the river? And of course the city of Kherson and the surrounding area being flooded. How does any of this help the Ukrainians?

Brother, get your head out of Putin's ass and think for a fing second.
    Literally last night pro-Muscovite sources posted this image, showing that Ukranians crossed the Dnipro:

Are you claiming that the Ukranians crossed the fing Dnipro, only to flood it themselves, forcing their own troops to withdraw in a hurry while their boats are being shelled by the Fascist Muscovites??
    I'm sorry, you can try to claim your enlightened neutral position and to be an "independent thinker" (lol), but for one to sincerely believe that this was the Ukranians would require having a stroke. Seek medical attention, every second counts.

Nhyt, take it easy. Those in glass huts shouldn't throw stones
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Brother, get your head out of Putin's ass and think for a fing second.
    Literally last night pro-Muscovite sources posted this image, showing that Ukranians crossed the Dnipro:

Are you claiming that the Ukranians crossed the fing Dnipro, only to flood it themselves, forcing their own troops to withdraw in a hurry while their boats are being shelled by the Fascist Muscovites??
    I'm sorry, you can try to claim your enlightened neutral position and to be an "independent thinker" (lol), but for one to sincerely believe that this was the Ukranians would require having a stroke. Seek medical attention, every second counts.
    It's the insane bias against the US and West in general. Don't try and understand the double think. It's impossible.

Nhyt, take it easy.
    Nah, this is infuriating. I'm disgusted to be part Russian, and to have previously been proud of it. And your comment, saying that the Muscovites blew up "THEIR OWN DAM", shows just how neutral you are. This isn't their dam, this is Ukraine's dam. Russian warship, go fk yourself.

Those in glass huts shouldn't throw stones
    ?

I like that you don't mind at all being vulgar etc, furthermore to someone who never mistreated you, but then was alarmed by the subtle comment about glass huts.

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

All the evidence that's needed is "Kiyv says". Just visit the BBC frontpage and see how many headlines from different articles you can see with that title "Kiyv says". One would be excused to think at this point that major western media is simply regurgitating whatever Zelensky's press office is announcing and presenting it as fact.

For the record, Kiyv sucks as a transliteration. I'll stick to Kiev. I can at least read that without confusing the letters all the time. This spelling must be a nightmare for every fan of chicken Kiev out there.

Naturally, I don't pretend to know who blew up the dam. Kiev says it was Russia, the local Russian governor said it was Ukraine. Russia also reported this is not the first Ukrainian attack on the dam. People are quick to call it a defensive maneuver from Russia, a desperate one no less. But is there actually an offensive across the Dnipro? I haven't heard of that. Last reports I read indicated Ukraine pressuring the Donetsk frontline. According to troop positions from a few days ago the bulk of Ukraine's modernised army is in the plains west of Vuhledar preparing for an attack in Zaporizhzhia. None of this requires a crossing of the Dnipro. So I will ask, why wouldn't Ukraine blow this dam up to stop Russia from attacking across the Dnipro and diverting attention from the Zaporizhzhia and Donetsk fronts where Ukraine's forces seem gathered?

Do note, I'm not saying that's what happened, as I said I don't know what happened, I'm only asking why hasn't this thought even been considered but instead it's all "Kiyv says"? Is the idea that Ukraine could do bad things in a war that unthinkable?

It's not "Kiyv" but "Kyiv". The least you can do is get that right.
    The Armenian Issue

Civitate

Are people still implying Ukraine would blow up a dam to kill thousands of it's own people and flood Kherson itself?

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    It's not "Kiyv" but "Kyiv". The least you can do is get that right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    For the record, Kiyv sucks as a transliteration. I'll stick to Kiev. I can at least read that without confusing the letters all the time. This spelling must be a nightmare for every fan of chicken Kiev out there.
    As I said, I'll stick to Kiev.