View Poll Results: Whom do you support and to what extent?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support Ukraine fully.

104 69.33%
  • I support Russia fully.

16 10.67%
  • I only support Russia's claim over Crimea.

4 2.67%
  • I only support Russia's claim over Crimea and Donbass (Luhansk and Donetsk regions).

11 7.33%
  • Not sure.

7 4.67%
  • I don't care.

8 5.33%

Thread: Russia, US, Ukraine, and the Future

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Default Re: Russia, US, Ukraine, and the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I thought Hirohitos retention was a sort of preconditional to the unconditional surrender? It's been a while since I read up on this.

Certainly wars end in many ways, and some bubble on forgotten in the background.
    There were not any pre-conditions set for Japan's unconditional surrender. The issue of Hirohito and the Japanese royal family came after the surrender and the US occupation of Japan. He retained his status as Emperor and immunity of war crimes with the passing of the American written Constitution in 1947.

Peresvet's Avatar Civis

What Russia Got Wrong

Can Moscow Learn From Its Failures in Ukraine

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukrai...-dara-massicot

Interesting article and analysis from FA about russian-ukrainian war and modern situation on front.

Russia has learned to correct for past mistakes in other areas, as well. In late spring, Russian forces finally succeeded in jamming Ukrainian communications without jamming their own. During September, the Kremlin declared a partial mobilization to compensate for personnel shortages, pulling 300,000 draftees into the armed forces. The process was chaotic, and these new soldiers have not received good training. But now, these new forces are inside eastern Ukraine, where they have shored up defensive positions and helped depleted units with basic but important tasks. The government is also incrementally putting the Russian economy on a wartime footing, helping the state get ready for a long conflict.
    Last edited by Peresvet; February 09, 2023 at 12:19 AM.
    I am Russian and I hate putin and war. Stop war in Ukraine.

StarDreamer's Avatar Domesticus

I thought Hirohito's retention was a sort of preconditional to the unconditional surrender? It's been a while since I read up on this.

Certainly wars end in many ways, and some bubble on forgotten in the background, so in this case the compromise may be among the victors?
    Conditions to and unconditional surrender seems to a be a odd way of saying things, since unconditional seems to sort of say that there isn't any conditions. That would then be called a conditional surrender.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/ana...2.38&soc=-3.44 <-- "Dangerous far right bigot!" -SJWs

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    There were not any pre-conditions set for Japan's unconditional surrender. The issue of Hirohito and the Japanese royal family came after the surrender and the US occupation of Japan. He retained his status as Emperor and immunity of war crimes with the passing of the American written Constitution in 1947.
    Thx, good to know. My knowledge is largely pre internet reading and discussion. I know it the fate of the throne was widely discussed, and while officially the surrender was unconditional my previous impression was there had been some give and take. Good to be updated.

Horrible to exonerate war criminals but for the US to rule Japan the throne was practically indispensible.

A peace deal here is less nuanced: unlike the Japanese Putin is unreliable.

I think more physical barriers to warmaking are needed, like eliminating the Russian air arm altogether. We can't force Putins removal yet.

Thx, good to know. My knowledge is largely pre internet reading and discussion. I know it the fate of the throne was widely discussed, and while officially the surrender was unconditional my previous impression was there had been some give and take. Good to be updated.

Horrible to exonerate war criminals but for the US to rule Japan the throne was practically indispensible.

A peace deal here is less nuanced: unlike the Japanese Putin is unreliable.

I think more physical barriers to warmaking are needed, like eliminating the Russian air arm altogether. We can't force Putins removal yet.
    It was pretty clear that the Imperial institution was going to be retained, since the only people in Japan likely to support a republic were the communists, and of course the US was not interested in putting a communist government in power in Japan. The question was whether or not Hirohito should abdicate, an idea which had some supporters (including in the imperial family itself) but Macarthur was against it.

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-sta...-nazis-1779412

A Russian state TV host has compared Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine with the World War II battle of Stalingrad, falsely claiming that all of Europe was fighting with Adolf Hitler against Soviet Russia during what Moscow calls the Great Patriotic War.
    Such self-serving delusions are one of the reasons that Russia will never be more than a third-rate kleptocracy. Instead of looking towards the future or trying to improve the present, it clings to the past like a man in his fifties who does nothing but relive his high school football days.

Last June, the Navy divers, operating under the cover of a widely publicized mid-summer NATO exercise known as BALTOPS 22, planted the remotely triggered explosives that, three months later, destroyed three of the four Nord Stream pipelines, according to a source with direct knowledge of the operational planning.

https://seymourhersh.substack.com/p/...he-nord-stream
    If true, this means the United States has directly engaged in terrorism against Russia and Germany. I can’t fathom why the Biden White House thought this was a good or advantageous idea, but they have categorically denied it, of course. It would be the greatest possible gift to the Russians and a near complete vindication of their propaganda about the Gendarme of Europe defending the continent from a rapacious foreign overlord. What it won’t do is prevent or even reduce the flow of gas to Europe from Russia, both because the pipelines were already shut down/sanctioned, and because gas flows have actually increased lately. Undoubtedly the biggest potential foreign policy blunder since lying about WMDs in Iraq. To add insult to injury, the Germans are prepared to repair Nord Stream within a year if politics were ever to permit it. Lose-lose situation for the US.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    If true, this means the United States has directly engaged in terrorism against Russia and Germany. I can’t fathom why the Biden White House thought this was a good or advantageous idea, but they have categorically denied it, of course. It would be the greatest possible gift to the Russians and a near complete vindication of their propaganda about the Gendarme of Europe defending the continent from a rapacious foreign overlord. What it won’t do is prevent or even reduce the flow of gas to Europe from Russia, both because the pipelines were already shut down/sanctioned, and because gas flows have actually increased lately. Undoubtedly the biggest potential foreign policy blunder since lying about WMDs in Iraq. To add insult to injury, the Germans are prepared to repair Nord Stream within a year if politics were ever to permit it. Lose-lose situation for the US.
    You do realize Hersh is a well past his use by date. I don't mean to diminish his prime work in any way but he has into his now what 80s denied Bin Laden planed 9/11 and defended Assad in Syria. This is based on supposedly one source but asserts an amazing level of detail and one that had apparently almost no operational compartmentalization. The holes in it are pretty glaring and Hersh's call back to Nam seems an old mans vanity.
    Last edited by conon394; February 09, 2023 at 12:12 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    You do realize Hersh is a well past his use by date. I don't mean to diminish his prime work in any way but he has into his now what 80s denied Bin Laden planed 9/11 and defended Assad in Syria. This is based on supposedly one source but asserts an amazing level of detail and one that had apparently almost no operational compartmentalization. The holes in it are pretty glaring and Hersh's call back to Nam seems an old mans vanity.
    That’s possible. By the same token, Hersh’s advanced age means he has only his legacy to lose if he did cook up a completely false story/trusted a bad source.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Not seeing the issue, Germany had brought all of its allies to fight Russia too, so other nations fighting Russia in that war include Hungary, Romania, Croatia, Italy, Bulgaria, Finland etc. You act as if the claim what that Britain was allied to Germany against Russia in ww2
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Not seeing the issue, Germany had brought all of its allies to fight Russia too, so other nations fighting Russia in that war include Hungary, Romania, Croatia, Italy, Bulgaria, Finland etc. You act as if the claim what that Britain was allied to Germany against Russia in ww2
    Bulgaria never declared war on the Soviet Union, and never sent any troops to the Eastern Front. Germany and 4 of its Axis allies did not constitute "all of Europe".

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Kavhan Isbul View Post
    Bulgaria never declared war on the Soviet Union, and never sent any troops to the Eastern Front. Germany and 4 of its Axis allies did not constitute "all of Europe".
    There were even Americans and Brits in Hitler's armies. So Russian propaganda can claim that WW2 was an approximation of NATO.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    That’s possible. By the same token, Hersh’s advanced age means he has only his legacy to lose if he did cook up a completely false story/trusted a bad source.
    Did you read the story. The plot is remarkably not very secret. Seems to have one source that has knowledge of all it aspects and conversations and decision makers statements and reads more a like a Netflix production that a leak. I think the old guy got played.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Did you read the story. The plot is remarkably not very secret. Seems to have one source that has knowledge of all it aspects and conversations and decision makers statements and reads more a like a Netflix production that a leak. I think the old guy got played.
    Maybe the Ruskis got one over on us. Well played. Would almost remind me of the old days.

Peresvet's Avatar Civis

The consequences of the unsuccessful attack of russian troops in the Ugledar direction
    A lot of equipment was lost in a crowded form (some of the tanks were damaged with the tracks removed, burned-out infantry fighting vehicles, losses in personnel, etc.). In fact, the tank company has lost its combat capability.
    https://t.me/boris_rozhin/77670

Peresvet's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Kavhan Isbul View Post
    Bulgarian anti-tank brigade of the SS troops (1st Bulgarian) (German: SS Panzer-Zerstörer Brigade (bulgarische Nr. 1), Bulgar. Bulgarian SS anti-tank brigade (1st Bulgarian)), known as the Anti-tank Legion (Bulgarian. Armored Legia) - a military unit of the SS troops, consisting of Bulgarian volunteer collaborators and fought against units of the Red Army. https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91...A%D0%B0%D1%8F)

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Peresvet View Post
    Bulgarian anti-tank brigade of the SS troops (1st Bulgarian) (German: SS Panzer-Zerstörer Brigade (bulgarische Nr. 1), Bulgar. Bulgarian SS anti-tank brigade (1st Bulgarian)), known as the Anti-tank Legion (Bulgarian. Armored Legia) - a military unit of the SS troops, consisting of Bulgarian volunteer collaborators and fought against units of the Red Army. https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91...A%D0%B0%D1%8F)
    Which is irrelevant to present day, as nobody who was in that brigade, or made decisions for it is in government in Bulgaria. Might as well blame the Darius for marching onto the steppe and attacking the Scythians for all the relevance these propaganda gripes hold.
    Last edited by antaeus; February 10, 2023 at 02:34 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Volunteers from Bulgaria isn't the same as the Bulgarian army.

So Russia is draining the Kakhovka Reservoir.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/10/11557...-nuclear-plant

I suppose they had no choice NATO made them do it.

Of course I sure Ludicus will assure me this is the action of a country ready negotiate and you just needs Ukrainian neutrality (abject puppet state status) and the Crimea and things will A OK.
    Last edited by conon394; February 10, 2023 at 10:15 AM.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Russia draining a body of water without care for the consequences? I feel like I've seen this one before.

Probably an attempt to create a land route to invade north, extending the frontline. Disgusting.