Came back to 'Thrones of Britannia' after over a year away to find that somewhere along the line one of CA's "updates" has seriously buggered things up.

I deleted my old campaign and started a new one with Alfred and the West Saxons.

Campaign #1: Got to a certain point, around turn 50 or so and found that I couldn't raise armies any more. I'd select the General and nothing would happen. I even disbanded another complete army to see if that was the issue. But no. Somehow rasing an army became impossible, witch is a really big problem for a game called 'Total War'.

Campaign #2: Restarted and immediately tried to raise an army. This time it worked. However, this time I couldn't declare war on any faction. I know that as West Seaxe, you cannot go to war with East Seaxe for about 10 turns because of a pre turn 0 treaty. But I couldn't go to war against anybody. Also a big problem for a game called 'Total War'.

Campaign #3: Restarted, again, and did nothing for about 15 turns except build up my cities. I'd noticed in Campaign #2 that even though I had raised axemen and swordsmen in double figures each, the tech tree was still locked for me and greyed out. So, this time I would test that. I waited until I could recruit 5 axemen in one go to see if that would unlock the tree. It didn't.

What the hell happened to this game?

Or am I doing something stupid here?