Thread: [Decision] Houses of TWC Award

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [Decision] Houses of TWC Award

Now that the previous one is archived, we can move on to what most in that thread were leaning towards. The idea in principle was a good one but the execution had some problems with it.

However, first, I'd like to make a distinction. Not all awards are made to create activity. Some merely recognize activity and that's fine. There is nothing wrong with that. We can not expect every little thing intend to create activity.

Patronizing people is not something to be taken lightly and it takes time and effort to pass them successfully. I believe it is appropriate to recognize that. Hence, the thresholds I'm proposing:

1 - Minor House
    3 - Major House
    7 - Great House
    15 - Kingdom
    31 - Empire

The idea here is to combine TWC's historical empire building with the award. Of course, the award icons would require some work that I hope some of you can pitch in. Perhaps a house symbol that gets more pronounced with each level would be appropriate. The incremental levels are 2-4-8-16. The person with the most patronizations is at 30 but for the sake of consistency I didn't wanna accommodate that. The award starts at 1 patronization since that is the hardest one in the mix as the first one requires a somewhat learning curve.

Minor House Award
    Minor House award is given to those that have invested time and effort in Citizen patronization and have patronized at least 1 Citizen successfully.
    Major House Award
    Major House award is given to those that have invested time and effort in Citizen patronization and have patronized at least 3 Citizen successfully.
    Great House Award
    Great House award is given to those that have invested time and effort in Citizen patronization and have patronized at least 7 Citizen successfully.
    Kingdom Award
    Kingdom award is given to those that have invested time and effort in Citizen patronization and have patronized at least 15 Citizen successfully.
    Empire Award
    Empire award is given to those that have invested time and effort in Citizen patronization and have patronized at least 31 Citizen successfully.
    I really like the house idea as TWC already has houses. Any thoughts?
    The Armenian Issue

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [DECISION] Houses of TWC Award

I don't see any difference in merit compared to the other one(s), so I still oppose the idea in principles.

Also, the word "house" is misleading, since it specifically refers to a group of people; if you check the TWC houses history (go to the Symposium) you will see that I'm part, for instance, of the Imperial House of Hader and that accounts like 100 citizens, in various "generations".
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I don't see any difference in merit compared to the other one(s), so I still oppose the idea in principles.

Also, the word "house" is misleading, since it specifically refers to a group of people; if you check the TWC houses history (go to the Symposium) you will see that I'm part, for instance, of the Imperial House of Hader and that accounts like 100 citizens, in various "generations".
    This is just a cheap copy of of an old idea that has failed more than a half dozen time, except this time we have a confusing naming scheme (which I ignored for good reasons last time)

Of course this is the problem here. We have someone who agreed in principle but couldn't see pass his own idea to compromise. Is TWC really worth saving if this is what it is?

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Far too late is my feel. Posthumously awarding for empires past, as this will functionally do with the limited patronage opportunities and especially limited to nonexistent interest in the house concept today, is little remedy for correcting the decline of the current TWC empire. I think we should strictly focus on encouraging development of the now and worry about the recognition of past events in this vein later. And it's my belief that 'the now' will benefit from both a content and 'earthly' community perspective closer to the founding of the site with modern innovations, not in forming new cliques through the patronization process.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

As I said, not every effort needs to be about saving TWC. We can do this and that at the same time. Doing this doesn't take away from doing that.
    The Armenian Issue

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

If this provides little material use, the fact it doesn't help or hinder anything else doesn't elevate it imo. Of course, if more people want this then I will defer.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I'd be much more interested in inter-house multiplayer tournaments where the participants from the winning house get some rep and a nice medal.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    I'd be much more interested in inter-house multiplayer tournaments where the participants from the winning house get some rep and a nice medal.
    I was playing with this idea for a while when I was still the Competitions Hex, but it's impracticable since Houses exist only in theory, there's no real bond between members.
    Last edited by Flinn; December 06, 2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: I actually meant to write Competitions and not Gaming
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I was playing with this idea for a while when I was still the Competitions Hex, but it's impracticable since Houses exist only in theory, there's no real bond between members.
    That is something of a chicken and egg issue. Take any sports team and they would too exist only in theory if they didn't play together against other teams. There has to be some activity and Adrian just suggested one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    That is something of a chicken and egg issue. Take any sports team and they would too exist only in theory if they didn't play together against other teams. There has to be some activity and Adrian just suggested one.
    Please feel free to keep discussing this here, thanks

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Sorry to ask agaim...
    We seak awards for awards sake only? Without a true meaning ?
    Without a real purpose? Just to feed our fictional (internet avatar) ego with as many awards we can get even that they wont mean anything?
    Few questions that require answer before another award proposal.
    Please.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Sorry to ask agaim...
    We seak awards for awards sake only? Without a true meaning ?
    Without a real purpose? Just to feed our fictional (internet avatar) ego with as many awards we can get even that they wont mean anything?
    Few questions that require answer before another award proposal.
    Please.
    Why don't you start a discussion thread in the Prothalamos about those points you keep rising?

For the rest, those points are off topic in this Decision thread, and will be treated as such

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Support.

Not sure we need to tie this to houses necessarily though.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I think it’s an interesting proposition and a fun little thing to add to the whole house concept. It’s kind of like cadet dynasties to the Great Citizen houses and it doesn’t come with any extreme sort of hard requirement to continue patronizing or a new user group like the other proposals we’ve seen the past two weeks. I don’t think it’s particularly necessary but it’s a good compromise from the Patronus Class which was on my opinion VERY bad and the other which seemed unnecessarily cluttered. Just a few more patronizations and Pike gets his empire which I’m sure he is happy for

I don’t think it’s really necessary but easily the lesser of two evils. Support
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; December 06, 2021 at 11:53 AM.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

To clarify, when I thought about the house concept I didn't have the current usage of it in TWC in mind. I was going more in the lines of Game of Thrones / Dune medieval style houses. Its intent is to make it sound "cool."
    The Armenian Issue

For all intents and purposes it’s essentially the same/both.

Default Re: [Decision] Houses of TWC Award

Pike your previous proposals were one that was similar to this but a few of us wanted some small changes as compromise, and several where you said you were compromising then proceeded to propose something completely different that wasn’t even remotely similar to your original Pater Familias proposal. Like, I even outright said Id like it slightly changed to something close to this proposal in the recently closed thread and then your counteroffer was the Patronus Award where the negative response was actually ugly rather than constructive and then the 1-3-5 where it almost felt like you were intentionally making worse and worse proposals because your first wasn’t loved. Like, it almost feels like you’re not even reading the actual points being brought up when the first gets rejected/amended and decide to go even further in the opposite direction. A diagram of the past few weeks of discussions would look like this.

What several other people want<->a compromise between your original proposal and what they want<->your original proposal<->your initial “compromise”<->further proposals that go further from what people were arguing for each time

This doesn’t even address the fact that while I admire your passion the point has been made and ignored several times that patronization isnt some magical fix all that will save TWC. You are under the impression that the lack of patronizations has resulted in a decline in user base when it’s clear to literally EVERYONE else that the decline in patronization is literally a result of the decline in user base, so pushing for more and more extreme “YOU MUST PATRONIZE” measures accomplishes literally nothing of value and has many possible negative repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Pike your previous proposals were one that was similar to this but a few of us wanted some small changes as compromise, and several where you said you were compromising then proceeded to propose something completely different that wasn’t even remotely similar to your original Pater Familias proposal. Like, I even outright said Id like it slightly changed to something close to this proposal in the recently closed thread and then your counteroffer was the Patronus Award where the negative response was actually ugly rather than constructive and then the 1-3-5 where it almost felt like you were intentionally making worse and worse proposals because your first wasn’t loved. Like, it almost feels like you’re not even reading the actual points being brought up when the first gets rejected/amended and decide to go even further in the opposite direction. A diagram of the past few weeks of discussions would look like this.

What several other people want<->a compromise between your original proposal and what they want<->your original proposal<->your initial “compromise”<->further proposals that go further from what people were arguing for each time

This doesn’t even address the fact that while I admire your passion the point has been made and ignored several times that patronization isnt some magical fix all that will save TWC. You are under the impression that the lack of patronizations has resulted in a decline in user base when it’s clear to literally EVERYONE else that the decline in patronization is literally a result of the decline in user base, so pushing for more and more extreme “YOU MUST PATRONIZE” measures accomplishes literally nothing of value and has many possible negative repercussions.
    This is nonsense.
    I went from 3-6 levels and I came down to 1 and 3 as the first two levels.
    There is no "magical fix" Every proposal is speculative if it claims to change the current status.
    e.g. Removal of the CdeC did not deliver on its promise. Order 66 was a complete failure, moving the Symposium did nothing, opening the prothalomos did nothing, moderators no longer needing to be citizens, oh, the changing of the constitution would make it clearer (), etc... The list goes on and on. What the Curia tries and what it doesn't as far as a "fix" concern is arbitrary.

Of course, I was told that "22" was clunky number and somehow 31 isn't. Keep in mind in nearly 18 years of existence, no one has ever patronized more than 30 times. I am the only active person near it at 27.
    Last edited by Akar; December 06, 2021 at 08:14 PM. Reason: off topic personal references removed

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Enough of the off topic personal references.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

Archived as per the usual procedures