Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding in NEW FACTIONS to Rome Remastered

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Icon1 Adding in NEW FACTIONS to Rome Remastered

We now have a possibility to add brand new factions to Rome Remastered. There is no limit, but the memory requirements will grow with each faction expotentially. Total Conquest at present has 51 factions with no problem.

Steps:
    - Add all ownership entries in export_descr_unit. Minimum one unit.
    - Add entires to export_descr_buildings
    - Add entry to descr_standard (if new symbol). This might involve creating a new symbol file if you’ve run out of space. There are 4 per image here.
    - New sounds (not explored by me) probably need to be added in the soundbank if you’re using a new culture
    - Descr_sm_factions_difficulty.json contains faction difficulties
    - Fill out a new entry in descr_sm_factions. If making a new faction banner, you can copy an existing cas and edit the texture by editing the file in a text editor. In my personal experience I had to scale it down though. Notepad++ is just fine, even if the texture name is of a different length than the original.
    - Descr_sm_faction_logos.txt needs a new entry
    - Descr_character.txt needs entries for all character types for new faction
    - New entry required in descr_banners. These paths will also point you to files you need to change for the faction battle banners
    - UI folder: faction_icons, and various unit info as well as captain banners (alive, rebels and dead). Game can ignore missing captain portraits.
    - Text in campaign_description
    - Text in expanded_bi. I like to prepare all entries at the bottom of the file for each faction
    - Faction symbols in menu\symbols\fe_buttons_feral
    - Add the faction to descr_faction_groups
    - Add win conditions to descr_win_conditions.txt
    - Descr strat

- You should have descr_sounds.txt and vanilla's (or edited) sounds folder in your mod
    - Run the game with a command "snd_save_events". This will create music states. Otherwise you'll crash on custom battle.

You'll need to add an admiral texture as well, otherwise the ship will be transparent.
    Descr_event_images < or something like that needs update to switch statements. Just add new ids where eliminated videos are.
    Last edited by komisarek; December 06, 2021 at 01:38 AM.

Default Re: Adding in NEW FACTIONS to Rome Remastered

In Descr_event_images.txt the switch statement refers to a number:

Code:
    switch		{
    			case 0
    			{
    				movie		 center 320 240	data/fmv/lose/julii_eliminated.mov
    			}
    			case 1
    			{
    				movie		 center 320 240	data/fmv/lose/brutii_eliminated.mov
    			}
    Which number is the integer after "case" referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocyalos View Post
    In Descr_event_images.txt the switch statement refers to a number:

Code:
    switch        {
                case 0
                {
                    movie         center 320 240    data/fmv/lose/julii_eliminated.mov
                }
                case 1
                {
                    movie         center 320 240    data/fmv/lose/brutii_eliminated.mov
                }
    Which number is the integer after "case" referring to?
    In all honesty I didn't check these yet. I imagine `case`refers to faction ID, but I have a feeling that the `lose` video is actually described somewhere else. I'll look into it in the future and update the guide wtih any findings.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

It is appreciated your work Komisarek. In adding factions, please be mindful of the starting dates of such Kingdoms, as some did not exist at the RTW start date.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    It is appreciated your work Komisarek. In adding factions, please be mindful of the starting dates of such Kingdoms, as some did not exist at the RTW start date.
    Mods are a way to express creativity - if I want to add a Skeleton Horde invading from the Scottish Highlands, I will

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by komisarek View Post
    Mods are a way to express creativity - if I want to add a Skeleton Horde invading from the Scottish Highlands, I will
    There was a German mod I think that had Indian mythos monsters including skeletons, and a huge snake Kali and Monkey monster. My files were lost due to exHD crash.. so I am trying to go by memory. I used them before with HR Taxilia etc in the eastern map. It was in a Russian mod site.

In descr_event_images.txt, the faction destroyed videos have the following case-statement:

case default{
    movie center 320 240 data/fmv/lose/rebels_eliminated.mov
    }
    Apparently, it means you don't have to update the file if you add a new faction as long as you dont care to see a rebels flag when that faction is destroyed.

After adding a new faction (syracuse), I get the following messages in log, does anyone know what I have to do to get rid of them?

faction 'syracuse' has no general unit not tied to a major event in the classic unit list!
    faction 'syracuse' has no general unit not tied to a major event in the rebalance unit list!
    I added the two general units of the greeks for syracuse:

export_descr_units.txt

Code:
    type             greek general's guard cavalry
    dictionary       greek_generals_guard_cavalry      ; General's Armoured Bodyguard
    category         cavalry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       Heavy_1
    voice_indexes    0 1 2
    soldier          greek_heavy_cavalry, 12, 0, 1.0 
    mount            generals horse
    mount_effect     elephant -8, camel -4
    attributes       sea_faring, general_unit, hide_forest, hardy, general_unit_upgrade "marian_reforms"
    formation        1.5, 4, 3, 6, 3, square
    stat_health      2, 0
    stat_pri         10, 9, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, spear, 25 ,1
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         12, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25 ,1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  11, 6, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 1, flesh
    stat_heat        2
    stat_ground      0, 0, -6, 0
    stat_mental      10, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 40
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 1020, 130, 110, 160, 1020
    ownership        greek_cities, seleucid, macedon, syracuse
    ethnicity greek_cities, Rhodos
    ethnicity seleucid, Babylonia
    ethnicity macedon, Macedonia
    ethnicity syracuse, Sicilia_Graecus

type             greek general's guard cavalry early
    dictionary       greek_generals_guard_cavalry_early      ; General's Bodyguard
    category         cavalry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       Heavy_1
    voice_indexes    0 1 2
    soldier          greek_medium_cavalry, 12, 0, 1.0 
    mount            generals horse
    mount_effect     elephant -8, camel -4
    attributes       sea_faring, general_unit, hide_forest, hardy
    formation        1.5, 4, 3, 6, 3, square
    stat_health      2, 0
    stat_pri         11, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 25 ,1
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 25 ,1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  3, 7, 0, leather
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        1
    stat_ground      0, 0, -6, 0
    stat_mental      10, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 40
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 690, 130, 70, 110, 690
    ownership        greek_cities, seleucid, macedon, slave, syracuse
    ethnicity greek_cities, Rhodos
    ethnicity seleucid, Babylonia
    ethnicity macedon, Macedonia
    ethnicity slave, Hyperboria
    ethnicity syracuse, Sicilia_Graecus
    Edit: I just now noticed that the new faction also does not get these general units to be selected in custom battles. For some reason it does not get ownership of them even though I added syracuse to ownership? What is going on here?

Edit2: Nevermind, I named my export_descr_unit.txt wrong (export_descr_units.txt) so thats why my changes never had any effect...
    Last edited by Ocyalos; January 10, 2022 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by komisarek View Post
    You'll need to add an admiral texture as well, otherwise the ship will be transparent.
    Where do I have to add it? I can't find the file nor folder. My navies are invisible on strat map, only their faction style sail is visible.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4,6 Ghz AM4 | GPU: 2x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060Ti Gainward Ghost OC 8GB GDRR6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600 Mhz C18 16 GB | SSD: PNY XLR8 CS3030 4TB M.2 NVMe 3 GB/s | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 550 Watt | MB: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 Silver

Long: New York Stock Exchange: MO, XOM, AAL, AMZN, FB, MSFT, GOOGL, AMD, CRM | Wiener Börse: POST, BG, ADKO, UBS | London Stock Exchange: BP, BATS | Hong Kong Stock Exchange: 3988, 601318 | Euronext Paris: ORA, FP | Bolsa de Madrid: ELE | Coinbase: BTC
    Short: -

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ocyalos View Post
    Where do I have to add it? I can't find the file nor folder. My navies are invisible on strat map, only their faction style sail is visible.
    descr_character.txt might be what you need to look at. Not sure though: never added a faction before. It's terra incognita.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Unfortunately, no. The only reference to navies/admirals in descr_character.txt are the following:

Code:
    type        admiral

actions moving_nortmal, quick_sail, bockade, disembark, exchange
    wage_base 50

faction    romans_julii
    dictionary    15
    start_card    data/ui/roman/agents/temp_admiral.tga
    strat_model    julii_admiral

faction    romans_brutii
    dictionary    15
    start_card    data/ui/roman/agents/temp_admiral.tga
    strat_model    brutii_admiral
    Adding or changing these strat_models seems to have no effect, for old factions as well as for new factions. There even seem to be no [factionid]_admiral file anywhere.

Edit: I found it! data/descr_model_strat.txt

Each of the admiral types needs texture lines for each faction that uses them. I solved it like that for my mod:

descr_character.txt has set strat_model for all admirals of all factions to slave_admiral:

Code:
    type			admiral
    actions			moving_normal, quick_sail, blockade, disembark, exchange
    wage_base		100

(repeat for every faction, replacing FACTIONID accordingly)
    {
    faction			FACTIONID 
    dictionary      1
    strat_card		data/ui/roman/agents/temp_admiral.tga
    strat_model		slave_admiral
    }
    descr_model_strat.txt

Code:
    type				slave_admiral
    skeleton			strat_navy
    male
    (repeat for every faction, replacing FACTIONID accordingly) {

pbr_texture FACTIONID, data/models_strat/textures/boat_05_pbr.tga
    texture FACTIONID, data/models_strat/textures/boat_05_base_rebels.tga
    }
    Last edited by Ocyalos; January 16, 2022 at 01:37 PM.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4,6 Ghz AM4 | GPU: 2x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060Ti Gainward Ghost OC 8GB GDRR6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600 Mhz C18 16 GB | SSD: PNY XLR8 CS3030 4TB M.2 NVMe 3 GB/s | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 550 Watt | MB: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 Silver

Long: New York Stock Exchange: MO, XOM, AAL, AMZN, FB, MSFT, GOOGL, AMD, CRM | Wiener Börse: POST, BG, ADKO, UBS | London Stock Exchange: BP, BATS | Hong Kong Stock Exchange: 3988, 601318 | Euronext Paris: ORA, FP | Bolsa de Madrid: ELE | Coinbase: BTC

I went through steps and crashes during the splash screen. I thought I was doing everything rite. I'm using the vanilla Egyptian logo for the time being. Here's the contents from the scripting_log:

Error in descr file Q:\Feral\Steam\Workshop\2720073057/data/descr_sm_factions.txt, line 1707::12: "Expected ':' after key ''"
    Script Error in Q:\Feral\Steam\Workshop\2720073057/data/descr_sm_factions.txt, at line 1707, column 12. DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file

Missing faction menu icon piece menu/symbols/fe_buttons_feral/symbol128_azania.tga!
    Missing faction menu icon piece menu/symbols/fe_buttons_feral/symbol128_azania_grey.tga!
    Missing faction menu icon piece menu/symbols/fe_buttons_feral/symbol128_azania_roll.tga!
    Missing faction menu icon piece menu/symbols/fe_buttons_feral/symbol128_azania_select.tga!

Here's the descr_sm_factions entry:

"azania":
    {
    ;;name and description
    "string": "AZANIA",
    "description": "AZANIA_DESCR",

;;culture and (default?) character ethnicity
    "culture": "egyptian",
    "ethnicity": "egyptian",

;;tags for faction groups
    "tags": [ "fgroup_fertility_temple", "fgroup_fun_temple", "fgroup_justice_temple", "fgroup_law_temple", "fgroup_healing_temple", ],

;;namelists
    "namelists":
    {
    "men": "egypt_men",
    "women": "egypt_women",
    "surnames": "egypt_surnames",
    },

"logos":
    {
    ;;logo to use in the loading screens (seperate as sprite sheets aren't loaded at that point)
    "loading screen icon": "data/ui/faction_icons/egypt.tga",

;;standard index as declared in descr_standards (4 per page)
    "standard index": 5,
    "rebel standard index": 24,

;;logo index as declared in descr_sm_faction_logos (1 per page)
    "logo index": 5,
    "rebel logo index": 20, ;24,

;;flag models to be used on the strat map when a settlement is unoccupied
    "strat symbol model": "data/models_strat/symbol_egypt.CAS",
    "strat rebel symbol model": "data/models_strat/symbol_egypt_rebel.CAS",
    },

;;faction colours (some base game factions may have hardcoded overrides)
    "colours":
    {
    "primary": [ 255, 255, 140, ],
    "secondary": [ 0, 0, 0, ],

"family tree":
    {
    "background": [ 154, 117, 57, ],
    "font": [ 255, 255, 255, ],

"selected line": [ 255, 255, 255, ],
    "unselected line": [ 200, 187, 187, ],
    },
    },

"movies":
    {
    ;;movie to play when starting a campaign
    "intro": "data/fmv/intros/egyptian_intro_1080p.wmv",

;;movie to play when this faction wins or is defeated, respectively
    "victory": "data/fmv/victory/egyptian_outro.wmv",
    "defeat": "data/fmv/lose/egyptians_eliminated.wmv",
    },

"available in custom battles": true,
    "prefer naval invasions": false,
    "default battle ai personality": "default_personality",

;;allow this faction to have a functioning family tree
    "allow reproduction": true,
    },

I'm using the TWRR Vanilla Modpack as the base of my mod. I can send you the files So you can have a look at it yourself

It says right here:

Error in descr file Q:\Feral\Steam\Workshop\2720073057/data/descr_sm_factions.txt, line 1707::12: "Expected ':' after key ''"

Look in your desc_sm_faction.txt at line 1707, the 12th character from left to right. There is a ":" (without the quotes) missing.
    If you use Notepad++ or god have mercy Windows Notepad, just use CTRL + G and type in 1707 to jump to the line.

Now it works. Many thanks!

this guide has helped my much, I have a question. If a faction is playable in campaign but when I want to play a battle, it crashes, does anyone know how to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Kalev View Post
    this guide has helped my much, I have a question. If a faction is playable in campaign but when I want to play a battle, it crashes, does anyone know how to fix it?
    Did you do this step?
    - Run the game with a command "snd_save_events". This will create music states. Otherwise you'll crash on custom battle.

Icon5 Re: Adding in NEW FACTIONS to Rome Remastered

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Kalev View Post
    my game crashes as soon as i try to end the factions turn... anyone know the cause?

It crashes when I load a battle (campaign and custom) with most of the new factions I created. I do have the command line snd_saved_events in the advanced options. Is there a way to solve this issue?

It crashes when I load a battle (campaign and custom) with most of the new factions I created. I do have the command line snd_saved_events in the advanced options. Is there a way to solve this issue?

Sorry for the second post. There was a weird glitch when I replied

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast