Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] The Shankbot Award.

Default [Discussion] The Shankbot Award.

I propose an award for people who are consistently conciliatory, positive in all circumstances and friendly to everyone.

The name is of course something secondary, I have put it as an example of a user (Shankbot de Bodemloze) who in my opinion would be worthy of this award. Not once did I see that man give a bad answer, never being negative.

I think it should be a large award since it would be a reward for exceptional behavior, without blemish.
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

PikeStance's Avatar Assume Good Intentions
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [DISCUSSION] The Shankbot Award.

Don't we have something already?

Asterix's LoinclothAwarded for demonstrating purity of mind and spirit on TWC, in the pursuit of humour and good times for all members.
    I would say that means a member that is consistently conciliatory, positive in all circumstances and friendly to [all members].

If anyone were to offer a candidate that meets the above, then I would give them the award.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen Censor

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I believe that the Loincloth award already covers this, as Pike mentioned.

Additionally, Hex (I believe it was specifically Chloe) has said that no future awards can or will be named after any member, active or inactive, since the Calvin debacle.

I'm going to see if I can't find the post where she said that and I'm likely going to invalidate this proposal on those grounds.

Join the Thema Devia Discord here
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Additionally, Hex (I believe it was specifically Chloe) has said that no future awards can or will be named after any member, active or inactive, since the Calvin debacle.

I'm going to see if I can't find the post where she said that and I'm likely going to invalidate this proposal on those grounds.
    I remember something like this as well.

I believe that the Loincloth award already covers this, as Pike mentioned.

to put it very simple: the Asterix award rewards jocularity, the award that I propose rewards "holiness". Many users who have received the Asterix award would not meet the necessary requirements to receive this award, many potential recipients of this award would hardly receive the Asterix award (some could even be considered "boring").

Don't worry about the name, I used it just as title of the thread and example of an idle user with exemplary attitude.
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: [Discussion] The Shankbot Award.

Convinced.

Support.
    Being like you are
    Well this is something else, who would comprehend?
    But some that do, lay claim Divine purpose blesses them
    That's not what I believe, and it doesn't matter anyway
    A part of your soul ties you to the next world
    Or maybe to the last, but I'm still not sure

VNV Nation - Illusion

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Don't worry about the name, I used it just as title of the thread and example of an idle user with exemplary attitude.
    Fair enough. So long as the award receives a non-user-specific name I don't foresee any problems on that front.

I appreciate the difference between this proposal and the Loincloth but I think this area could potentially also already be covered by the Phalera, which awards "exceptional input or other significant contributions to non-TW sections of the boards.".

While I agree that Shankbot would be a good potential recipient of this award, I'm not too big on the idea of creating awards exclusively to be received by members who are no longer active - regardless of how deserving they might be. Do you have any other potential candidates in mind for this award that are currently active?

I appreciate the difference between this proposal and the Loincloth but I think this area could potentially also already be covered by the Phalera, which awards "exceptional input or other significant contributions to non-TW sections of the boards.".

While I agree that Shankbot would be a good potential recipient of this award, I'm not too big on the idea of creating awards exclusively to be received by members who are no longer active - regardless of how deserving they might be. Do you have any other potential candidates in mind for this award that are currently active?
    Regarding the differentiation with the Phalera, I am talking about rewarding an attitude (visible, of course), not rewarding a specific activity to improve this site. A user can receive the Phalera for "exceptional input or other significant contributions to non-TW sections of the boards" and behave like a real #### with his peers. I am looking to reward that person with an exemplary attitude, regardless of their contributions to TWC. Relating this to your question about possible active candidates, I do not want to give names but three of them are loaded with medals (not the Asterix), another two may not have more than two awards in addition to citizenship.

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

I am looking to reward that person with an exemplary attitude, regardless of their contributions to TWC
    But what if their significant contribution to TWC is being "consistently conciliatory, positive in all circumstances and friendly to everyone"? If having such an exemplary attitude isn't a significant contribution why are you proposing creating a large award for it?

Anyway, if this does end up passing I volunteer to make the art for the award if needed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    to put it very simple: the Asterix award rewards jocularity, the award that I propose rewards "holiness". Many users who have received the Asterix award would not meet the necessary requirements to receive this award, many potential recipients of this award would hardly receive the Asterix award (some could even be considered "boring").

When Omni was proposed (awarded) this was what was said;
    If Omnipotent Q does not represent the spirit of TWC, frankly I'm not really sure who does, and this is coming from a chap who has had many hard fought debates with the fellow.
    From taking the lead on several attempts at reforming the Curia, to proposing the CA interview, to his excellent participation in just about every Curial debate, and providing much needed guidance to those who ask (I know this first hand), Omni is indeed the embodiement of the TWC Spirit. Furthermore, in doing all of this, he conducts himself in a pleasant manner, has a good sense of humor that isn't shy about showing, and has acted as Curator with fairness, good cheer, and above all objectivity.

Now, come on and let's give this man a loincloth!
    It would be better to reword it to be more encompassing

Asterix's LoinclothAwarded for demonstrating purity of mind and spirit on TWC, in the pursuit of humour, politeness, and or by promoting a positive atmosphere for for all members.
    Why create something new? Shanks could easily be awarded the Loinscloth for the exact same reasons that Omni was given it.
    Last edited by PikeStance; November 29, 2021 at 09:53 AM.

But what if their significant contribution to TWC is being "consistently conciliatory, positive in all circumstances and friendly to everyone"? If having such an exemplary attitude isn't a significant contribution why are you proposing creating a large award for it?

Anyway, if this does end up passing I volunteer to make the art for the award if needed.
    As far as I know the Phalera is given to users who have had a very important activity in some concrete non-TW area of this site. Usually it serves to reward exceptional debaters:

- Awarded for exceptional input or other significant contributions to non-TW sections of the boards, in particular in the PH&A section!

- Awarded for exceptional input or other CC-related contributions to the board. Long shall everyone shudder at your debating prowess and undeniable skill in conjuring up two sets of arms and legs.

- Awarded for having fulfilled the evil plans of your Turkish master in becoming one of the best, most prolific and level headed debaters ever seen at TWC!

- Awarded for exceptional input or other CC-related contributions to the board. As a side note: evolution rocks!

- Awarded for exceptional contribution in the Content and associated areas of the TWC boards amongst many other stellar contributions, please accept this with out thanks.

- Awarded for your exceptional contribution within the Vestigia Vetustatis and in particular for your excellent historical posts.

- Awarded for exceptional input or other CC-related contributions to the board. On behalf of the TWC community, many thanks for your fantastic AAR's and the rest of your magnificent efforts!

This is the most similar reasoning that I have found that could resemble the conditions to receive the prize I am proposing:

- Awarded for exceptional contribution to non-TW areas of the boards, though mainly it's for the exceptional display of Dudeism and your unwavering loyalty to the goals of the Inquisition. Congrats!

Obviously that's Flinn*, I have not seen his candidacy for the Phalera, but I guess that was mostly about his magnificent work as moderator/adviser in PH&A.

You do not have to shine in any specific forum, you may not be an excellent debater, an excellent artist or an excellent staff member and have a deserving attitude of the award that I am proposing.

*He has the Phalera, he has the Asterix Loincloth and, for different reasons (excellent attitude always, no negativity, no acrimony), maybe he deserves this award too.
    Last edited by mishkin; November 29, 2021 at 05:14 AM.

Blog Entries

As far as I know the Phalera is given to users who have had a very important activity in some concrete non-TW area of this site. Usually it serves to reward exceptional debaters:.
    This is correct. The Opifex was at one time a catchall, but non-modders were not be proposed. To ensure content creators are equally represented they created the Phalera. Shamefully, most content creators, except for a hanful of debaters have not bee offered.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Very good idea, but I too believe this to be covered by the Loincloth
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Very good idea, but I too believe this to be covered by the Loincloth
    Briefly crossed my mind that this award had as a requirement a pristine moderation record (ruled out for not adding unnecessary complexity to the process). No one expects from a Loincloth (or any other award) something like that, not an impeccable attitude either. A Loincloth is expected to have a sense of humor, be cheerful, not to always argue while respecting their interlocutors, always be polite, etc.
    Last edited by mishkin; November 29, 2021 at 09:52 AM.

Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Briefly crossed my mind that this award had as a requirement a pristine moderation record (ruled out for not adding unnecessary complexity to the process). No one expects from a Loincloth (or any other award) something like that, not an impeccable attitude either. A Loincloth is expected to have a sense of humor, be cheerful, not to always argue while respecting their interlocutors, always be polite, etc.
    That's partly true, sadly. The "purity of mind" part seems to have been neglected recently in favor of the humorous part, but that is still subject to vote, anyways. However, that part is still there so I would support any candidate that is being submitted for his respectful and kind character (better if paired with a supportive attitude) despite him not being particularly funny or the like.

edit: if needed be, I'm ready to put up an amendment to expand the wording and I already have at the least one valid recipient in mind.
    Last edited by Flinn; November 29, 2021 at 09:59 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

As I posted, Omnii was bestowed for other reasons outside of humor.

However, just propose to change the wording...
    Asterix's Loincloth Awarded for demonstrating purity of mind and spirit on TWC, in the pursuit of humour, politeness, and or by promoting a positive atmosphere for all members.
    I would support this or other similar wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    That's partly true, sadly. The "purity of mind" part seems to have been neglected recently in favor of the humorous part, but that is still subject to vote, anyways. However, that part is still there so I would support any candidate that is being submitted for his respectful and kind character (better if paired with a supportive attitude) despite him not being particularly funny or the like.

edit: if needed be, I'm ready to put up an amendment to expand the wording and I already have at the least one valid recipient in mind.
    If you want to define the "purity of mind" of the Loincloth as what I am trying to do here and eliminate any connotations to humor (the Lojncloth does not have to be "funny" anymore), what you will be doing is changing the meaning of the Loincloth award and many past recipients of the award would not be at the level of the new standard, and that's a big problem.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn
    That's partly true, sadly. The "purity of mind" part seems to have been neglected recently in favor of the humorous part, but that is still subject to vote, anyways.
    Another example of the Curia struggling with conceptual awards. Spirit/Purity. Asterix was all about ambiguous terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike
    The Opifex was at one time a catchall, but non-modders were not be proposed.
    It was 'the hero's act' initially, leaning more towards a modding award, with 'TW' added. I think Rahl and Garb were among the first to be proposed, or Rahl and someone else, not for modding.

Appreciate the sentiment and trying to define the loincloth alternative, but, wouldn't this litterally be the 'Shankbot' award. I can't think of anyone else who'd qualify.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; November 29, 2021 at 10:14 AM.

Blog Entries

If you want to define the "purity of mind" of the Loincloth as what I am trying to do here and eliminate any connotations to humor (the Lojncloth does not have to be "funny" anymore), what you will be doing is changing the meaning of the Loincloth award and many past recipients of the award would not be at the level of the new standard, and that's a big problem.
    I see, well I don't believe one needs to remove that altogether, to me the Loincloth can fit both

Blog Entries

I'll guess context is everything... the proposal for the Loinscloth.

Phalera proposal that passed For what it's worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast