Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Decision] Tiered Milestone Awards

Default [Decision] Tiered Milestone Awards

Currently, there is one milestone award you get it either if you have been on the site for 15 years or you accumulated 10k posts after 10 years or you accumulated 20k posts after 5 years:
    TWC Milestone Award
    Awarded to those who have been on TWC for 5 years and have accumulated 20,000 posts or to those who have been on TWC for 10 years and have accumulated 10,000 posts or to those who have been on TWC for 15 years regardless of how many posts they have accumulated, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per one of the listed conditions.
    It's a Milestone award but you can not tell me what milestone one with the award actually clears. You can only tell me a set of them. What's being awarded there is three different thresholds that do not have a coherent connection. I believe a more tiered approach would suit this award better and make it more interesting. The idea is to have two awards; one for lifetime and the other for activity. With my proposal you clearly know what milestone one cleared away. The criteria here is specific and coherently incremental.

Obviously, a new award design is required. For that, perhaps, our resident designers would like to pitch in. A sand clock for the lifetime one might be appropriate.

Lifetime Awards
    Bronze: 5 years (with 500 posts)
    Silver: 10 years (with 1000 posts)
    Gold: 15 years (with 1500 posts)
    Platinum: 20 years (with 2000 posts)

Activity Awards
    Bronze: 10k posts
    Silver: 20k posts
    Gold: 30k posts
    Platinum: 40k posts
    Diamond: 50k posts

Lifetime awards:
    Bronze Lifetime Award
    Bronze Lifetime Award is given to those who have been on TWC for 5 years and have accumulated 500 posts, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per one of the listed conditions. Award period is based on last login date.
    Silver Lifetime Award
    Silver Lifetime Award is given to those who have been on TWC for 10 years and have accumulated 1,000 posts, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per one of the listed conditions. Award period is based on last login date.
    Gold Lifetime Award
    Gold Lifetime Award is given to those who have been on TWC for 15 years and have accumulated 1,500 posts, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per one of the listed conditions. Award period is based on last login date.
    Platinum Lifetime Award
    Platinum Lifetime Award is given to those who have been on TWC for 20 years and have accumulated 2,000 posts, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per one of the listed conditions. Award period is based on last login date.
    Activity awards:
    Bronze Activity Award
    Bronze Activity Award is given to those who have accumulated 10,000 posts on TWC, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per the listed condition.
    Silver Activity Award
    Silver Activity Award is given to those who have accumulated 20,000 posts on TWC, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per the listed condition.
    Gold Activity Award
    Gold Activity Award is given to those who have accumulated 30,000 posts on TWC, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per the listed condition.
    Platinum Activity Award
    Platinum Activity Award is given to those who have accumulated 40,000 posts on TWC, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per the listed condition.
    Diamond Activity Award
    Diamond Activity Award is given to those who have accumulated 50,000 posts on TWC, and have posted at the least once after becoming eligible as per the listed condition.
    Made the tiers based on currently and soon to be eligible members. Obviously the current, Milestone award would be deleted.

EDIT 1: Pulled down post requirements for Lifetime awards by half.
    EDIT 2: Added some arguments to the reasoning.
    EDIT 3: Added clarification for what would happen to the current award.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; November 30, 2021 at 05:00 AM.
    The Armenian Issue

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Amendment] Tiered Milestone Awards

For that, perhaps, our resident designers would like to pitch in. A sand clock for the lifetime one might be appropriate.
    I gladly offer my services, of course.

Support, though I think perhaps the lifetime award shouldn't require posts?

Either way, I love it.

p.s, the Diamond and Platinum activity awards say "Bronze" still.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I don't really see the need for this (especially split + 4-5 increments each), but ultimately will abstain on the topic; what I will say is that the 'lifetime' post requirement probably shouldn't tier. If it's not about activity, then I understand the point of having a post count to indicate the user was properly here for a while, but it shouldn't have to increment in thousands along with the years. A good 500 posts can be a mark by itself, especially if you've been around that long and still managed to write something new.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

The parameters I picked are based on a quick look at the members list. The Diamond activity award is specifically made for Gigantus and Pontifex Maximus as they both have +50k posts. 5 year differences made sense for me as I consider them to be long enough to warrant an update to the award but short enough to not be meaningless. We can certainly change these parameters if other ones make more sense to people.
    The Armenian Issue

Support. I don't know what a sand clock is (yet) so maybe perhaps a Roman or Greek sundial instead.

EDIT: Sand clock = hour glass which would work as well.
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; November 24, 2021 at 09:34 PM.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

How would you handle those who currently have the pre-existing award, or when others become eligible for it? Are you proposing completely removing granting of the current award entirely going forward or are these other awards simply lesser alternatives that can be acquired without the high requirements of the current award?
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Support the idea in principle.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    How would you handle those who currently have the pre-existing award, or when others become eligible for it? Are you proposing completely removing granting of the current award entirely going forward or are these other awards simply lesser alternatives that can be acquired without the high requirements of the current award?
    This. There are more than 200 dudes who are holding it already, I personally gave it to like 150 of those.

I have to oppose this proposal in this current form, I would support one that will keep the actual version as top tier and will also offer two lower tiers (with a different name). Also, while I commend the idea, I don't like it to be so complex, remember that this award is not a Curial one, but an Hex one, and that as of today the only way to get it, when one is eligible, is to post in the Milestone Thread in the Q&S.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Yeah a better proposal if you’re insistent on lowering the bar for these awards would be keeping the current Milestone Award and elevating it to Gold Status, and creating 2 lesser Bronze/Silver variants with 50/75% thresholds.

Blog Entries

Yeah a better proposal if you’re insistent on lowering the bar for these awards would be keeping the current Milestone Award and elevating it to Gold Status, and creating 2 lesser Bronze/Silver variants with 50/75% thresholds.
    Yes this is something I would definitely support and help to craft, with pleasure
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

1) The implementation obviously requires the person in charge of that going through about 2-3 hundred members to assign the correct awards. It would be much better if those that would do it would voice their supports or opposition as well. Who are they?

2) With what I'm proposing the current Milestone award would cease to exist. In my case, for example, with +33k posts and 15 years on this site I'd be getting the Gold Lifetime award and the Gold Activity award, with my current Milestone award getting deleted.

3) Can people also voice specific support for the following criteria: For the Lifetime awards, would you support +500, +1000 or +1500 posts for each 5 year period?

4) Someone suggested that this is more suited for a Decision, rather than an Amendment. If those with more experience can verify that I can of course change that.

The starting point of my train of thought was that the current award didn't have a logical set of criteria:
    • 20k posts and 5 years
    • 10k posts and 10 years
    • Just 15 years

I don't think these make much sense. Trying to come up with two lesser versions would make it even more confusing.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; November 25, 2021 at 06:05 AM.
    The Armenian Issue

Blog Entries

1) The Hex I suppose. At the time I proposed the change on the Milestone Award to the actual reasoning I was Hex and so once it passed it was me who took care of giving out those awards (and it took me 2 weeks to check all the possible recipients, and still it could be that I lost some because the searching functions are mostly broken).

As of today I think that either the correct procedure is for the Consul to go through all the possible recipients, check the eligibility of each and then ask the Hex to award them (or update their award if they already have the old version). We are talking about a monumental task, to say the least.

Really not worth it IMO, hence I remain on my opposition

4) yes this is a Decision, since the Milestone Award is not mentioned in the Constitution

We actually discussed this at length back when it was first proposed. As it is now (including the last change), it is at an ideal level that is a milestone. I do not see the point of lowering the standards now when we are rewarding both longevity on the site and commitment through posting. Right now, both criteria takes significant commitment to gain.

For now, I opposed this.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Support in principle, the details are up for discussion. For the activity award I'd pick a lower treshold as the first tier though, 10k is a lot of posts. RIP to the person who has to do all the work if this passes though, which is probably me.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Support but I would lower a few of thresholds. 10k posts for bronze and 20 years for platinum is too much. 10k posts is simply a lot. The forum hasn't even existed for 20 years at this point and looking at the join dates of most active users, I really don't think the forum is going to be around in 2031.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Too many iterations of an award originally meant to be a simple recognition of time x contribution. Maybe add one every five years after the first 10.
    Activity awards are a spam trap.

17 years, I think. Paul and Knight started TWC in 03, earliest members I recall are 04. There are still members around who've been here as long and longer than myself. DaVinci posts nearly every day in the arts, Silver Gaurd was around recently, I think both are 04's.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; November 25, 2021 at 07:11 AM.

Default Re: [Decision] Tiered Milestone Awards

I don't think anyone spams the forum for an award. The thresholds are high enough to make that ineffective.

To give a few ideas on why there are awards with high criteria:

Pontifex Maximus with +59k posts and about 14 years of activity would get Diamond Activity award and Silver Lifetime award.
    Gigantus with +51k posts and and over 15 years of activity would get Diamond Activity award and Gold Lifetime award.
    irishron with +47k posts and over about 16 years of activity would get Platinum Activity award and Bronze Lifetime award.
    Legio with +43k posts and over 6 years of activity would get Platinum Activity award and Bronze Lifetime award.
    hellheaven1987 with +35k posts and over 16 years of activity would get Gold Activity award and Gold Lifetime award.

Lord Tomyris with +8k posts and over 18 years of activity would get no activity award but Gold Lifetime award.

In retrospect, the Platinum Lifetime award maybe unnecessary at the moment but it could be required in a few years for some members.

A question I have is to whether require at least one post after clearing the criteria or simply logging in. Any ideas?

If it would help, I can go through the member's list to compile the list of awards for each member myself.
    The Armenian Issue

Major obstacles

1. Too convoluted for an award that was simple in design for a reason.
    2. Incredible workload to implement.

The award ow requires a significant contribution which was its selling point. We lowered the standard to allow those with the time but not so prolific postings to receive the award recently.

In the future, I can see adding another tier, but right now, it seems perfect. Going lower seems unnecessary and I fear it would cheapen the accomplishment of earning the award as it is currently set.
    Last edited by PikeStance; November 25, 2021 at 03:12 PM.

Agree with Pike actually. I can see maybe adding one or two lower variations of the award but they must be much less complicated in iteration (following the basic format of the one in existence which will remain the highest tier) and still remain pretty high in terms of requirements. There’s no need to change it other than for the sake of change IMO, and making too many cheapens it. I’m fine with leaving as is but if the Curia is *that* insistent on adding an award, I’d add a Silver Milestone Award while making the current Award Gold:

Gold Milestone Award: 15 years/no post requirement OR 10years/10k OR 5 years/20k

Silver Milestone Award 10 Years/5K OR 5 years/10 K

If you’re reallllly insistent you can do

Bronze 10 Years/no post requirement OR 5 year/5k

but at that point it seems kind of bloated and like a ton of work to manually grant

Blog Entries

Agree with Pike actually. I can see maybe adding one or two lower variations of the award but they must be much less complicated in iteration (following the basic format of the one in existence which will remain the highest tier) and still remain pretty high in terms of requirements. There’s no need to change it other than for the sake of change IMO, and making too many cheapens it. I’m fine with leaving as is but if the Curia is *that* insistent on adding an award, I’d add a Silver Milestone Award while making the current Award Gold:

Gold Milestone Award: 15 years/no post requirement OR 10years/10k OR 5 years/20k

Silver Milestone Award 10 Years/5K OR 5 years/10 K

If you’re reallllly insistent you can do

Bronze 10 Years/no post requirement OR 5 year/5k

but at that point it seems kind of bloated and like a ton of work to manually grant
    Pretty much my position as well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast