Thread: What are hardcoded limits for number of recruited units per settlement to avoid CTD?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default What are hardcoded limits for number of recruited units per settlement to avoid CTD?

Firstly, just want to say that I love the mod and always will. However, after playing so many lengthy campaigns I tend to get bored of the status quo. I want to mix things up a bit and stray from historical realism by adding more diverse amounts of units in certain locations for Hellenistic factions that I prefer to play with (such as making those awesome looking Galatians more prolific as settlers across the Mediterranean and spreading Thureopherontes Toxotai across the whole Black Sea basin, not just Crimea).

I'm wary about touching the export_descr_buildings file, though. I've edited it ever so slightly in the past and had no problems with it. However, I know how fickle M2TW is when it comes to severe hardcoded limits, for instance, the number of factions and number of provinces, even the number of family members in your family tree before the game flips out and crashes to desktop after you've built a huge empire over hundreds of turns and simply want to view your extensive family tree. I want clarity on one main issue: how many units can I have available for recruitment in a settlement while avoiding crashes?

I'm afraid that if I have too many, the game will almost surely CTD, right? I'm especially wary about reforms and new building trees, like having core government buildings that become available after reforms or even native administrations if I were to pack too many units into one region. The game offers a huge variety of units, but what is the limit?

Anyone know?

Default Re: What are hardcoded limits for number of recruited units per settlement to avoid CTD?

Not that many, according to https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?..._buildings.txt

HOWEVER, many building entires in export_descr_buildings.txt have comments like this from pergamon7

capability ;;; recruitment pool - up to 24 * 0.04 comes from Hellenistic polis and colony buildings, 10 * 0.04 of top tier troops here
    Not sure if this is meant as clarification, or a reference to a hard cap. In any case, you can test this easily yourself by jacking up, say, pergamon7's Hetairoi recruitment to

recruit_pool "hellenistic cavalry hetairoi" 1 40 1000 0 requires factions { f_pergamon, }
    And clicking End Turn a few times

Default Re: What are hardcoded limits for number of recruited units per settlement to avoid CTD?

Awesome! Thanks for clarifying. I don't have time to tackle it right now, unfortunately, but I'll certainly test things out soon enough. Cheers!

The notes just explain why the pool is the size it is, no hardcoded limit there. It's documentation for anyone reviewing the file.

I suspect you can't have more than 30 units being recruited from the same settlement, there's a UI limit to the number of rows and columns that will display on the recruitment browsing window.

Ah! I see. I'll be adding a few new units to core governments and making some cosmetic changes to various regions via allied governments and supervised native administrations, but almost certainly nothing that huge anyway. I don't think I'll be passing the 30 unit threshold in any given settlement. Thanks for letting me know!