Thread: The Roman army is very strong

elementall's Avatar Libertus

Default The Roman army is very strong

Hello everyone, some time ago I started a campaign with Carthage, I have taken Hispania, North Africa, all of Italy and Sardinia. I've pushed Rome and it's moved into Dacia, Thrace, Asia Minor, and now it's taking land in Syria and it's going through Egypt.
    I am fighting for Illyria, but now the Roman army is impossible, it has attacked me with 2 complete armies, vs 2 of my armies and a fleet and after 1 hour of battle, it has liquidated me. They have suffered heavy casualties but the 2 armies have all their units.
    Is this normal?
    The composition of my armies is usually:
    -Liby-Phoenician Thorax Spears
    -Dorkim Qdosim
    -Iberi Scutarii (Mercenary Scutarii)
    -Baleares Funditores
    -Iberi Curisi
    -Mashliyim Parashim
    -Parasim Libi-Ponnim
    and maybe a unit of elephants,
    Its a weak composition? I should update it
    Ambacti, Mercenary Iberian Heavy Cavalry, Liby-Phoenician Thorax Swords)? I do not see other nations stronger than those.
    Thanks!

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: The Roman army is very strong

If you're already at thorax reforms that army looks too weak against Romans who always seem to be at a similar or higher level of reform (even though you didn't list numbers of units). Where are your Liby-Phoenician Peltasts and Liby-Phoenician Thorax Swords? You might want stronger cavalry too - demolish the roman cav then use yours, and these two types of infantry (or similar ones) and crush their flank. Or better yet, envelop them.

The history of the Punic wars reads like one long chronicle of both small and catastrophic Roman losses. The Carthaginians were clearly superior on the battlefield, time and time again, yet hamstrung by logistics, bickering political parties, and a ruling elite that was totally out of touch with reality. Don't let it happen to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    If you're already at thorax reforms that army looks too weak against Romans who always seem to be at a similar or higher level of reform (even though you didn't list numbers of units). Where are your Liby-Phoenician Peltasts and Liby-Phoenician Thorax Swords? You might want stronger cavalry too - demolish the roman cav then use yours, and these two types of infantry (or similar ones) and crush their flank. Or better yet, envelop them.

The history of the Punic wars reads like one long chronicle of both small and catastrophic Roman losses. The Carthaginians were clearly superior on the battlefield, time and time again, yet hamstrung by logistics, bickering political parties, and a ruling elite that was totally out of touch with reality. Don't let it happen to you!
    thanks for your reply, it is exactly what i am trying to do. Regarding my armies I will try to include Liby-Phoenician Peltasts and Liby-Phoenician Thorax Swords, although I cannot get many units near Illyria, Italy still has many Roman citizens ...

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

I'm pretty sure the stats changed (and they are less powerful) but the AOR Maedi peltasts and the Cordinau Orca (Scordisci infantry with sicas) are very strong. The Agrainians are good too. Easier to get those near Illyria though you may need to control a region a little too far east for what you're doing at the moment :o

Well, Hannibal and his army were clearly superior to the romans until the battle of Zama thanks to the commander genius but in the others theaters of war like Spain the romans wipe relatively easy the carthaginians armies. Without one of the most capable and brilliant general in history the carthaginians were a collection of mercenaries, soldiers from a dozen nations and few citizens all with their own style and equipment much like the persians centuries before. The majority of their equipment was inferior to the romans and the base discipline of their warriors was too. Maybe Carthage made some political and strategic mistakes but Rome too and very costly (like abandon the fabian strategy of harassment for a pitch battle in Cannae). I don't think Carthage stood a chance against Rome without Hannibal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post

Well, Hannibal and his army were clearly superior to the romans until the battle of Zama thanks to the commander genius but in the others theaters of war like Spain the romans wipe relatively easy the carthaginians armies. Without one of the most capable and brilliant general in history the carthaginians were a collection of mercenaries, soldiers from a dozen nations and few citizens all with their own style and equipment much like the persians centuries before. The majority of their equipment was inferior to the romans and the base discipline of their warriors was too. Maybe Carthage made some political and strategic mistakes but Rome too and very costly (like abandon the fabian strategy of harassment for a pitch battle in Cannae). I don't think Carthage stood a chance against Rome without Hannibal.

Yes, historically it is correct that in an advanced stage of the game the Romans are stronger, but I found that with chivalry skills and making use of a full army and half of another I can face an army made up of legionaries.
    After several battles I managed to conquer Illyria and expel the last Roman general with his army, I did not manage to destroy him completely, but now it is composed of very few Roman units and most of Thracian mercenaries, it is my time.
    I have been reading the Africanus trilogy, by Santiago Posteguillo, and there it documents very well the battles between Rome and the Carthaginians, and everything indicates that the victories obtained by Carthage were thanks to Hannibal and the Numidian cavalry. I am going on the right way! Rome is now in Asia Minor, and I plan to eliminate it.

Regarding the history. If i remember correctly Polybius writes about the second punic war that the strenght of the roman army was the heavy infantry and their discipline and morale. The weakness of the army was however tactical inflexibility, mostly due to bad generals.

It feels like this is true when playing against them in DEI too. Strong heavy infantry, but not very flexibile and suspectible to outmanouvering.