Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Promoting the Curia

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Promoting the Curia

So that you know, the Curial CMS is being posted into quite regularly, this is the latest article, a special issue.

It is sad to see how no one is using the CMS sigbar to promote it, and in general it is very sad to see how most of Citizens seem to be ashamed of promoting the Curia, while still partaking in it. With all the due respect, that does not make much sense to me, either one believes in something and proactively works for its good and betterment, or they don't. Hopefully things will improve in the future, with the help of more willing citizens.
    Last edited by Flinn; August 08, 2022 at 09:24 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I honestly do not see anyone ashamed of promoting the Curia. I also do not think referring to the Curia as an "award committee" is promoting it when the vast majority of awards are not even given by the Curia. Moreover, the morale of the Curia is extremely low. It does not take its role seriously. Citizens are supposed to be the cream de la creme. of the site. It supposed to guide the site in a way that members find it useful and engaging. As some have noted, it seems it doesn't matter what "the Curia" thinks. The admin will continue doing what it wants resulting in even lower morale and purpose. If you cannot promote these two points, then there is little purpose for it. There is nothing to promote.

Become a Citizen?
    Why, do I get special privileges?
    Yes, you get a badge and different color name.
    What else?
    You can vote on proposals to improve the site.
    Does the admin listen?
    Well, they don't have to.
    Oh, then what's the point?
    You can vote for members to get awards and patronize citizens.
    Oh, so what else is expected of me?
    You are expected to behave by posting well and being polite if you don't we will remove the badge and color.
    Oh
    Interested?
    I don't think so.
    Ok, no problem.

Citizenship is a hard sell to everyone but Artifex candidates.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    There is nothing to promote.
    That's exactly the kind of behavior I'm referring to

Citizenship is a hard sell to everyone but Artifex candidates.
    Some more Artifexes would be welcomed, indeed.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I have successfully patronized 27 members for citizenship and approach probably 20 other members for citizenship as late as last spring.
    Moreover, your quote and comment is disingenuous. The comment was directed at your own assumptions that the Curia is an award committee and that it has not bearing on the site at large. My "conversations," while not an exact transcript of any conversation, it was consistent with many discussions I have had with prospective members about citizenship. Sorry, but I have always based my opinion on what people tell me.

What would be welcomed? Citizens bothering to patronize good posters/ members and this site valuing this group.

Blog Entries

Pike, I quoted you, plain and simple.

There is nothing to promote.
    It's impossible to misunderstood this.

From what I can see from your post, the Curia is not worth it, not worth partaking in it, not worth promoting it, so why bothering at all? If you don't think that this "institution" is worth anything, if you do think that being an award committee is pointless, I don't see why you should be concerned at all, then. That's what I don't understand and that frankly annoys me... but anyways, we are expressing opinions here, not facts (I too spoke with a lot of people, particularly to older members, and lo!, most of them seemed to agree with me).. then we can keep discussing this in loops for years and nothing will change, ever.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The element where I agree with Pike here is that we don't have too much of a fundamental sell at the moment. The best I can figure is it being a 'stakeholder' system by which you earn a few extra rights and it becomes a universal 'next step' for established members as it has become in a lot of ways anyway. Just be around and do some good and you are more or less entitled to it. If we're worried about oversaturating it, we're well past that line. There might be a few ways to reframe this that wouldn't change a great deal in practice, but could bring the necessary adjustment in attitude for this initiative, in other words, 'no reason not to be a citizen' if you are established. I think binding almost every conduct element except something like VONC to site moderation status would be a necessary step since it is just too messy in this day to split off the process, ie, ostrakon or 'curial warnings'. If we aren't willing now after the many examples where it could be merited, then it's only a tool for drama's sake and we can put that energy in something else.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Blog Entries

Yup I guess it's also a matter of different perspective: to some people it seems that a Curia that does not offer something concrete to you, it's pointless.. to me, and others, it seems that a Curia that give you the opportunity to partake, volunteer and reward others, is something.

Commy, you should really put a proposal for an overhaul; you are very often spot on in both identifying the issues and proposing viable solutions for them, you need to pick up the mantle and embark in this quest.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I'd like to initiate that process concurrent or after another 'once more unto the breach' discussion in another section. This week and next week are busy enough that I can't upfront much at this moment.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Pike, I quoted you, plain and simple.

It's impossible to misunderstood this.

From what I can see from your post, the Curia is not worth it, not worth partaking in it, not worth promoting it, so why bothering at all? If you don't think that this "institution" is worth anything, if you do think that being an award committee is pointless, I don't see why you should be concerned at all, then. That's what I don't understand and that frankly annoys me... but anyways, we are expressing opinions here, not facts (I too spoke with a lot of people, particularly to older members, and lo!, most of them seemed to agree with me).. then we can keep discussing this in loops for years and nothing will change, ever.
    You quote mine. Really, I do not know what you want. You promote open discussion, but if it doesn't go your way, you pout often demonstrating behavior we would like to eliminate.

Anyway, I doubt any old member considered the Curia an award committee. You need to read posts from 2005- 2009 and it tells a very different story of the Curia. Back in the day, there were many committees created that promoted the site and created services for members to utilized. The Curia was a platform for innovation and the site evolved. Moreover, I already noted the vast majority of the awards offered are not given by the Curia. Plus, if we are an award committee, where are the proposals of members for awards?

If you want to promote the Curia it starts with each person committed to good post and honest debate. Each member needs to set a high standard for discussion. There once was a noble idea, the House of Noble Discourse. A noble idea that many seem to ignore. Once we can do that, we promote members who exhibit these same qualities and make them citizens. The process should be simplified and expedient. Then, we can have real discussion about attracting modders, gamers, and content creators to the site. As I have said on many occasions, as long as people view the Curia or citizenship as distasteful, it is a waste of time. You need to get your out of the sand and realize why certain members who are active and yet refuses to be citizens.

Blog Entries

You quote mine. Really, I do not know what you want. You promote open discussion, but if it doesn't go your way, you pout often demonstrating behavior we would like to eliminate.
    Begging your pardon, but I did not comment on your ideas, but on your attitude, which I identify as the problem I'm trying to address here. At your service

My attitude is that the Curia isn't in a state that can promoted. People have to change or no one would want to be here. Your not so passive aggressive post towards me is not the solution we are hoping to accomplish this. You need to step back because I do not think you are grasping my points if you think I'm unduly negative.

Blog Entries

My attitude is that the Curia isn't in a state that can promoted.
    Then I would say that there's no sense for you posting in this thread, which is about promoting the Curia for how it is today. Thanks for your input anyways, should you have any proactive idea to promote the Curia in its current state, feel welcomed to share it here. Until then, we humbly remains at your service

Then I would say that there's no sense for you posting in this thread, which is about promoting the Curia for how it is today. Thanks for your input anyways, should you have any proactive idea to promote the Curia in its current state, feel welcomed to share it here. Until then, we humbly remains at your service
    I guess you glossed over the embolden part.

Anyway, I doubt any old member considered the Curia an award committee. You need to read posts from 2005- 2009 and it tells a very different story of the Curia. Back in the day, there were many committees created that promoted the site and created services for members to utilized. The Curia was a platform for innovation and the site evolved. Moreover, I already noted the vast majority of the awards offered are not given by the Curia. Plus, if we are an award committee, where are the proposals of members for awards?

If you want to promote the Curia it starts with each person committed to good post and honest debate. Each member needs to set a high standard for discussion. There once was a noble idea, the House of Noble Discourse. A noble idea that many seem to ignore. Once we can do that, we promote members who exhibit these same qualities and make them citizens. The process should be simplified and expedient. Then, we can have real discussion about attracting modders, gamers, and content creators to the site. As I have said on many occasions, as long as people view the Curia or citizenship as distasteful, it is a waste of time. You need to get your out of the sand and realize why certain members who are active and yet refuses to be citizens.
    Seriously, how does one make a thread to promote the Curia and then turn around and attack anyone who make suggestions not just here, but have made numerous threads on the very same subject? If today is your concern, then you should think about your next post and consider how would such a response "promote the Curia."

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

It might be time to move back to the topic of this thread.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

So that you know, the Curial CMS is being posted into quite regularly, this is the latest article, a special issue.

It is sad to see how no one is using the CMS sigbar to promote it, and in general it is very sad to see how most of Citizens seem to be ashamed of promoting the Curia, while still partaking in it. With all the due respect, that does not make much sense to me, either one believes in something and proactively works for its good and betterment, or they don't. Hopefully things will improve in the future, with the help of more willing citizens.
    Good idea to use the Curial CMS to promote the Curia, and for people to use Curial CMS sig bar.

For people who would like to help promote the Curial CMS, here's how to add the sig bar to your profile:

• At the top right side of the screen, select My Account, then Edit Signature
    • Copy and paste the Curia CMS sig bar into your signature (you can find it Flinn's signature, and now in mine), or (if you prefer) add copy and paste this code into your signature: [CENTER][URL="https://www.twcenter.net/forums/content.php?139-the-curia"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/xng9Hsp.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

I'll encourage staff to help promote the Curial CMS using the sig bar.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 13, 2022 at 01:54 AM.

Honestly, the best way to promote the Curia is to follow this code:

Debate in good faith and be respectful to all members.

• Avoid using language that is deceptive, inflammatory or disruptive.
    • Do not be rude, hostile, or overly sarcastic. Display your wit, but don't be a tit.
    • Argue rationally and as objectively as possible. Avoid using logical fallacies or overly-emotional language.
    • Contribute to the discussion and include worthwhile material to debate.
    • Support your assertions of truth or fact with evidence. Link your sources - videos and images alone are foolish. Unless accompanied by other sources, refrain from using tabloids, blogs, social media comments and conspiracy-theory sites.
    This is the Code promoted by the House of Noble Discourse.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

A code that pretty much holds up is locally pinned by curial vote (last link in my sig)

Six of one and a half dozen of the other. You got to follow it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12