Thread: Low tax rate = committing atrocities

Icon5 Low tax rate = committing atrocities

Population boom, famine, social unrest, using military action to repress those unrest, military action leads to low fund. There are 2 scenario: either reducing military activities, raising fund, leaving the state vulnerable to hostile invaders or becoming a hostile invader, plundering the rest of the world.

Without treaties, great alliances, or a United Nation type organization, any states, nations which thought they can do military yet avoid to be a hostile invader, soon fund will run low, the whole nation can't keep up with others who has always been focusing on their goal. An inevitable end is coming, that nation is nothing than a dirt in the field, easily crushed and looted by their needy neighbors.

In a Total War, no pity, no love, only heartless and mindless campaign AI with buffs, unable to do diplomacy, the player is forced to committing atrocities, crimes against humanity in order to continue the long campaign. Luckily, it's only Medieval2TTW so the player goes to sleep at night with a smile on his face. Days come by, the player chooses another faction and do it all over again, and so on...

Default Re: Low tax rate = committing atrocities

We play total war games because we'd become real-world politicians otherwise.

wait what? I never commit atrocities, Unless they kill my faction leader. Than the next city gets razed. But almost never does this happen, and i always just take it over and put a Allied state. the Raze function is really bad in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    wait what? I never commit atrocities, Unless they kill my faction leader. Than the next city gets razed. But almost never does this happen, and i always just take it over and put a Allied state. the Raze function is really bad in the long run.
    It keeps unrest down, most of the time sack does better job since it reduce unrest and give you the most money but if you conquering large city or larger that is not faction capital(like Rome) then razing it is better to also reduce overpopulation.

Razing risks your general getting traits such as uncomfortable humanitarian or other trauma related difficulties....
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

While this is certainly a fairly easy way to play, it is not the way you have to. You can play in a way that is more chivalrous, making use of elite tactics and 'they hit first' to justify actions and minimize casualties while not grinding away at a population's expense. But this is of course slower and more tricky, not to mention inefficient. This is also not to say one should put taxes at minimum or offer absolute resource liberty; sometimes a compromise (say 'normal' tax rate) will keep the nation in better shape while still being better to live in paired with neighbors, for longer. Perhaps long enough to wait for the other nation-state to make the first move. I'm playing with morality here, but I digress.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    While this is certainly a fairly easy way to play, it is not the way you have to. You can play in a way that is more chivalrous, making use of elite tactics and 'they hit first' to justify actions and minimize casualties while not grinding away at a population's expense. But this is of course slower and more tricky, not to mention inefficient. This is also not to say one should put taxes at minimum or offer absolute resource liberty; sometimes a compromise (say 'normal' tax rate) will keep the nation in better shape while still being better to live in paired with neighbors, for longer. Perhaps long enough to wait for the other nation-state to make the first move. I'm playing with morality here, but I digress.
    Looking at trait eb2 guide suggest the recommend tax rate are normal and low. Governor in low tax grew to become lenient(lower tax but increase pop) while Governor in normal grew to become just(increase law) or lenient

And in the guide there are many traits that will punish you with rubbish traits if you put your tax higher than normal so i only put my tax at normal and low unless i'm really desperate for cash.