Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Amendment] Legio 501st Modder Awards rewording

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default [Amendment] Legio 501st Modder Awards rewording

I think the recent discussions have proved that the current descriptions for the small awards to modders are confusing and not satisfying. I propose a rework to the requirements of getting these awards.

I think there is actually no point in trying to list a bunch of modding sections in order to cover all of them.
    I think it'd be reasonable to add a note to the higher levels as z3n suggested that the Curia may evaluate different sections of a mod separately.
    Updating a mod with new features is no longer neglected.
    I have added creating tools and resources to the list.
    I think the beta-testing part is iffy. In the current wording when someone plays a mod in beta-testing for 6 hours they should be awarded by the Curia no matter if the mod team got any useful feedback from it. And the Curia can't see what's happening in closed testing groups. I think it'd be better if a new small award was created for beta-testers that would be assigned by Hex at the request of modding teams to those that they think deserve the extra recognition for their efforts.

I have settled on the following:

• Legio 501st Modder Award (Gold) - Awarded by the Curia for three or more actions matching a criteria from the following list:
      • releasing (including as part of a modding team) a mod or an update to one involving work estimated to have taken more than 6 hours;
      • creating or updating with new features a functional modding tool with instructions how to make it work;
      • creating a detailed and original tutorial containing relevant media (screenshots, video, code snippets);
      • creating resources for modding involving work estimated to have taken more than 6 hours;
      • performing a remarkable act which benefits the modding community.

Note, the Curia may count different remarkable modding sections of a mod independently.

• Legio 501st Modder Award (Silver) - Awarded by the Curia for two actions matching a criteria from the following list:
      • releasing (including as part of a modding team) a mod or an update to one involving work estimated to have taken more than 6 hours;
      • creating or updating with new features a functional modding tool with instructions how to make it work;
      • creating a detailed and original tutorial containing relevant media (screenshots, video, code snippets);
      • creating resources for modding involving work estimated to have taken more than 6 hours;

Note, the Curia may count different remarkable modding sections of a mod independently.

• Legio 501st Modder Award (Bronze) - Awarded by the Curia for one action matching a criteria from the following list:

I think this would be a reasonable way for the Legio awards to make practical sense as small awards intended to promote modding activity and I hope it's not confusing.

Default Re: [Amendment] Legio 501st Modder Awards rewording

I don't think the problem is the wording; its the means in which it is given out. proposing and then voting is waste of people's time.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

One step at a time, especially if we're currently moving forward with votes. When an executable idea can be offered to 'automate' the system it can be voted on then, but right now there is the demonstrated reality that the wording is nonetheless not ideal.

But I think the wording of this proposal presents a similar problem. It eliminates time escalation, keeps the quantitative portion and adds the need to break down mods into various odd chunks with their own time distribution. It solves the immediate issue of the ongoing proposal, but is hardly efficient. If I might suggest an alternative,

1. Change the awards tab to say 'Awarded by the Curia for contributions to the modding community." Keep short, keep simple, update past the original description that was never changed there.

2. Update the constitution to have one description.
    "The Legio 501st awards are granted by the Curia for contributions to the modding community. Contributions may include the following:

[...current list minus hour estimation...]

The appropriate level should be decided by how many released contributions (such as 1, 2 and 3 projects for respective levels), by the amount of time in modding effort (such as 6, 12 or 24 estimated hours of work in the project) and/or by the level of impact on the modding community short of deserving an Opifex, which these awards should not be granted in place of."

This gist I believe would be the most functional answer and avoid cramming redundant descriptions with minute differences into each award, offering discernible guidelines while allowing discretion. The literalist view (offered metrics between respective levels) should be considered if there is no apparent consensus on the measured impacts of contributions (such as a few people believing the impact deserves silver and others, deserving gold). A subsequent proposal could be offered to streamline the process of awarding of course.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Well I guess ignore the PM I sent you asking if I could post the PM you sent me as a discussion .

Anyway, I think this change is a step towards the right direction. I support but would love to see input from others before any action is taken .

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Good proposal. I support it. The rest of the awards given out by the curia are very poorly understood and subjective.

Opifex simply states "awarded for exceptional work" (pretty much) and artifex is something like "awarded for modding".

Imo it's not a bad thing that they are subjective but we can clarify them a bit by working on these small awards. One of the things that stood out to me is that beta testing should count number of written submissions totalling greater than 500 words. Maybe bronze for one report of that length and 1500 words or 3 reports for silver.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

There is no way you can assess time spent unless you are going to set a standard for each type of modding. it is not practical.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

It's an estimation, which is required unless you want to specify every possible scenario. Beta testing is not exclusively measured in written statements and should not have to be quantified as such.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?

You can't "estimate" because you cannot assess it at all.

Anyway, the original wording is simple and to the point and it allows us to reward up and coming modders easily.
    If there is a drawback, then it is the fact it still reliant on a very proactive Curia to issue them.
    If if, ... I think the numbers should be 1,3, and 5, rather than 1,2,3 but by five they should be an Artifex. Keep it.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    It's an estimation, which is required unless you want to specify every possible scenario. Beta testing is not exclusively measured in written statements and should not have to be quantified as such.
    ???
    It's the only way that counts.
    There's always something that could be reported after a beta test. It's a question of whether the beta tester wants to take the time to write out real feedback or not.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

If I am allowed to write with my humble modding expirience...modding is about efforts and results . Beware though.."As result" each modding creation in under subjective point of view.
    A simple example...If someone wants to award two modders with the Opifex award MUST he put his subjective aproach on the creations of the two modders or the ammount of effort that the two modders made inorder to create a mod. a tool or a free source?
    In my example: In M2TW Modding the last ten years we all know the famous MARKA Horses ... EBII uses its own horse creations ...Will there be a standard of "quality" of the result in those models when half of players like the one style and the other half like the other or we will award both attempts because they offer players time of gamming pleasure? Standards are hard to be 100% defined because each creator sees his creations as his "children" better than the rest if we will use Aesopus myth of which child was the best looking. We must reward the time consumming, the persistance to the ultimate goal (creating a model or a tool) and the final result (being factional not bettr looking).... That way we will encourage new modders to continue develop their skills for the bennefit of mods or submods and in the end for the bennefit of TWC that STILL is a modding site. Not a political, military or any other kind of site. I apologise for this interuption in this thread. IF as simple member I am not allowed to write here please delete the post.
    EDIT: I haven't reach that level of modeling :

In a single day....I needed years of failures and successes but what i had was the right encouragement to keep improving my self...That encouragement Awards must give it for now on...New modders do not always have the honor to have great teachesrs loike I had. So awards must work like steps to encourage modders to imrove bit by bit for the ultimate goal to allow us have pleasure time playing the games they modding ...
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; November 14, 2021 at 11:57 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

What the are you talking about?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

So, are we going ahead with this people? I think the wording needs a serious rework and I think this will get the job done.

It seems to me there is no will to send this to a vote.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

I was sure I supported this, but I didn't

so, support!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

As much as I'd prefer another approach to consolidate the wording, this solves practical and ongoing issues at the moment and it would be a waste of time to negotiate another approach. Support.

Support.

Thanks for supports guys! Consul, please move to vote then!

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Gladly!

Moved to vote.

Vote here.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

I disagree with the removing of beta-testing from the awards. They were in part meant to reward the work of beta-testers. A recommendation from the modding teams should suffice without involving Hex.

Or a stand-alone Curial award for beta-testing could be created.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Technically only Hex gives out awards and I think a suggestion by the modding team would be more practical than curial processing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast