Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filthy (Skaven AAR) [updated November 27]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Filthy (Skaven AAR) [updated November 27]

Filthy: a Skaven AAR

Chapter 1: Mittens and a Scarf

Every family has a foolish member who causes their elders to roll their eyes in disbelief, yes-yes? One of my clan-brothers, Kittik, studied the man-things whose towns and watch-towers encroached closer and closer to our clan’s warrens. He watched them swing sharp axes, acquiring wood to build new homes. He saw them farming the land, and raising their young. He even read their elementary books, with their tales of bright-eyed young man-things having adventures and befriending woodland creatures. If he had thought more about the difference between how the man-things acted in their book-tales and the behaviour of the axe-wielding man-things who chopped-hacked at the forest, he might not have made his big mistake.

Having studied man-things carefully, Kittik carried out a plan which, he thought, would lead to a revolutionary change in relations between our peoples. One morning in spring, he walked downriver, past a deep pool where a long-haired princess of the man-things liked to swim. After she emerged and clothed herself, she walked along the riverbank. As he emerged from his hiding-place behind the trees, Kittik imagined her surprise and delight, as she encountered a furry creature that was not only affectionate and friendly, but intelligent. Soon, Kittik hoped, he would be enjoying scraps of delicious man-thing food, warmed by a fire and the company of friendly man-things.

However, when he emerged from his hiding-place and spoke to the princess, it was Kittik who was surprised - by the reaction of the princess and by her actions which followed. Since then, on frosty days, the princess wears my clan-brother’s fur to keep her warm. And they call us filthy! Even so, the mistake of my clan-brother and the reaction of the princess to his plan gave me an idea.

Reassuring Message

… the most terrifying thing about this subject is that the vast majority of mankind would agree that there is no such thing as a Skaven
    - Warhammer Wiki
    Man-things, do not be alarmed by anything you read in this little tale. This is, of course, mere fantasy, as every-one knows that Skaven do not really exist. You can relax and enjoy your deliciously spiced man-thing food, knowing that there are definitely no giant, intelligent, red-eyed mutant rats burrowing beneath your feet and plotting the downfall of their enemies.

Chapter Index

Chapter 1: Mitters and a Scarf
    Chapter 2: Skaven Diplomacy
    Chapter 3: The Warfare of the Dwarf-Things
    Chapter 4: Skaven Work Together
    Chapter 5: The Walls of Kraka Drak
    Chapter 6: The Siege of Kraka Drak
    Chapter 7: The Lord of Kraka Drak
    Chapter 8: Threat Assessments
    Chapter 9: The Undying Ones
    Chapter 10: New Horrors
    Chapter 11: Ekitch's Finest Hour
    Chapter 12: Ekitch's Defiance
    Chapter 13: Ekitch's Story
    Chapter 14: Boom Boom Boom Boom!
    Chapter 15: Throt and the Count
    Chapter 16: Incantations against Dragons
    Chapter 17: The Ruins of Kislev
    Chapter 18: Mitri Kyriakin's Revenge
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 27, 2022 at 09:05 AM.

Default Re: Filthy (Skaven AAR)

Chapter 2: Skaven Diplomacy

The Master Moulders meld flesh and bone like clay, breeding or building beasts that can be used to bolster their armies
    - Warhammer Wiki, Clan Moulder
    My clan-brother’s foolish attempt to befriend the man-things gave me an idea. Here, on the north-eastern edge of the Old World, a biting-cold eastern wind often blows from the Chaos Wastes. The man-things who live here like to wrap their shivering limbs in furs, yes-yes? Clan Moulder will sell them furs, and they will not bother us for a while. There is an old saying of the man-things who live on the edge of the Chaos Wastes: you watch my back and I’ll watch yours. The Skaven have a similar saying: watch your back and sink your teeth into your enemy’s while he’s not looking.

The man-things to our south, in Ostland and Kislev, are not the only threat that Clan Moulder face. Dwarfs of the Kraka Drak clan marched from the World’s Edge mountain range, and settled in the hills north of our warrens. They are expanding their mine-workings, closer and closer to our homes. Their miners have axes and crossbows, and their craftsmen make good armour.

Miners of the Kraka Drak dwarfs

The Skaven have skilled craftsmen too. All Skaven clans are known for working with leather, steel and warpstone. But Clan Moulder alone have mastered the crafting of flesh. In our flesh laboratory, rat ogres were grown. They are bigger than a man-thing and strong enough to break-smash their way through an enemy line. To deal with enemy crossbows, we grew wolf rats. Wolf rats are no braver than ordinary clan-rats, but their long stride can carry them quickly behind the enemy, and their slobbering jaws can sink fast and hard into the backs of our enemies. That should be enough, at least, to distract the dwarf-things with crossbows. The tenacious dwarf-things might surprise us, but the paws of our wolf rats carry a surprise for them too.

Wolf rats of Clan Moulder

Our army marches north, to the nearest dwarf colony at Khazad Bordkarag. With the strength of our rat ogres, the speed of our wolf rats and the swords of our clan-rats, we can send a proper message to the dwarf-things who are invading our territory. That would be real Skaven diplomacy, yes-yes.

Chapter 3: The Warfare of the Dwarf-Things

"We fight to protect our kinfolk, we fight to defend our clans, but more importantly we fight to uphold our honour. Never forget the torment we have suffered and for each and every wrong our enemies heaped upon our ancestors, they shall repay the debt in blood. For we are sons of Grungni; alone we are rocks, united we stand with the strength of a mountain."
    Dwarf King Alrik at the defence of Karak Hirn.
    - Warhammer Wiki, Dwarf
    The warfare of the dwarf-things is impressive, yes-yes? It’s hard to convince rats from the slave warrens to charge into a line of sturdy dwarf miners. Skavenslaves know that their rusty blades are a poor match for pick-axes that can break rock and stone. The dwarfs wear well-made armour and have strong will to stand and endure whatever their enemies throw against them. Fighting dwarfs is like attacking a wall of stone.

A daunting prospect, yes-yes? Even so, as the dwarfs demonstrate with their deep-down delving, a wall of stone can be fractured and broken. As our infantry came within the range of the dwarf-things with crossbows, the stamping of our feet on the hard-frozen ground was accompanied by the sickening thud of their quarrels slamming into Skaven flesh.

Our wolf rats ran around a low hill, behind the dwarf-things, and charged towards the unprotected rear of the enemy’s line. But Kazran Truthteller, the dwarf commander, was a quick thinker. He anticipated our surprise attack and turned his personal guard to protect the rear of their crossbow-dwarfs. Many of our wolf rats sprinted around the flank of Truthteller’s bodyguard, but some were caught.

The wolf rats charge

The fighting spirit of Skavenslaves – and even clan-rats - hangs by a single hair, but fortunately our flesh laboratory had done its work well. As the jaws of our wolf rats struck at the rear of the enemy crossbow-dwarfs, our rat ogres ran ahead of our line. Our rat ogres would crack-split the wall of dwarf miners, and our Skavenslaves and clan-rats with swords would pour into the cracks in their line. The battle at Khazad Bordkarag was a good opportunity to see the latest product of our flesh lab in action: a mutant rat ogre, even larger than the usual kind and with a blade-arm that can strike fear even into the stoniest of dwarf-hearts.

The mutant rat ogre reaches the dwarf-things

Mercenary2479's Avatar Foederatus

As always...excellent storytelling combined with powerful imagery Alwyn. That mutated rat ogre looks like a tough quarry to bring down. May you enjoy more success in the recording of this tale than Kittik did trying to get food scraps from the man things. "Watch your back, and sink your teeth into your enemies...yes-yes?"

Thanks, that's encouraging and yes, a mutant rat ogre is pretty tough!

Chapter 4: Skaven Work Together

The Skaven as a whole are a cruel, treacherous, and highly numerous species that have since spread their loathsome corruption to the farthest corners of the Warhammer World.
    Warhammer Wiki, Skaven
    Man-things call us treacherous. They should look more closely at themselves, considering that after the battle of Khazad Bordkarag, the man-things of Kislev ended their trade agreement with us. I don’t understand – anyone could have eaten the man-things in that Kislevite trade caravan, yes-yes! Why would they assume that it was Skaven?

But I have not told you how the battle ended at Khazad Bordkarag. Our Skavenslaves didn’t last long in melee with pickaxe-wielding dwarfs before they ran. In an army of man-things, a sudden decision by part of the army to flee could cause others to follow. No-one wants to be in the last regiment to run, the easiest ones for the pursuing enemy to catch. But, in a Skaven army, everyone expects the Skavenslaves to flee, they’re expendable. They might return, especially if their commander persuaded them to, but a wise Skaven leader knows that there is little gain in running after rats who are scurrying back to their safe, warm warrens.

Our wolf rats struck hard at the crossbow-dwarfs, with the aid of a surprise provided by our flesh laboratory. Some dwarfs found their vision blurring and the strength of their limbs failing, as poison took hold. The attacking wolf rats attracted the attention of the axe-dwarfs in the enemy army, who pushed back hard, forcing the wolf rats to run. Wolf rats don’t last long in melee, their main use is to strike quickly at the enemy’s weakest point.

Many wolf rats were slain by the dwarf-things

Two parts of our army were now falling back, Skavenslaves and wolf rats. Skaven regiments don’t stand for long against their equivalents in the armies of the dwarf-things or man-things. But Skaven work together, combining our strengths against powerful foes. The remaining wolf-rats used their speed to strike at the flanks and rear of the enemy, falling back and charging again. After our rat ogres created cracks in the line of dwarf-things, our clan-rats used their swords to expand the cracks. The products of our flesh laboratory turned the tide of battle, as the poison of our wolf rats and the swinging blade-arm of the mutant rat ogre forced the dwarf-things back until they turned and fled. Unlike Skaven, the dwarf-things do not react well to seeing their fellow warriors running from the battlefield.

A rat ogre pursues the fleeing enemy

The dwarf-thing outpost of Khazad Bordkarag was ours, and we had a decision to make. We could leave their outpost in ruins and fall back, or occupy it and move on. If we fell back, the dwarf-things could send a larger force to rebuild it, and they could threaten our only city, the Hell Pit. If we occupied Khazad Bordkarag and moved on, we would have to deal with another dwarf-thing outpost, the port town of Sjoktraken, before marching through snowy northern wastes to assault their capital of Kraka Drak. Breaking dwarf-things on an open battlefield is difficult. Defeating dwarf-things who stand on a dwarf-built city wall and shoot their crossbows down at you is even harder.

Artifex

Default Re: Filthy (Skaven AAR) [updated November 28]

- What a great sight it is to see a skaven AAR...

- ...man-thing comment is irrelevant-useless, yes-yes. See below for real information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rat Critics.jpg  
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

I just found this, Alwyn, and I am excited to dig in as soon as I have time! The Warhammer TW games are not really my cup of tea, but the Alwyn AARs surely are, so sometime soon you should be getting some actual commentary from me
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Rat Wolf - I a haven't played Warhammer TW, or Warhammer in general but that sounds like something I don't want to meet in person.

Without knowing anything about the Skaven, in contrast to their crude appearance Kittik sounds like a smart person (?) and the Skaven skilled in war. I'm looking forward to seeing whether their hard-boiled warrior culture and Clan-consciousness will lead them to victory against these mean Dwarf-Things!

Thanks, Maltacus, Kilo and theSilentKiller!

The rat critics mentioned Clan Eshin, who have a role in the next chapter. I hope there will be something here for people who aren't into the Warhammer universe. I wouldn't want to meet a wolf rat either!

Chapter 5: The Walls of Kraka Drak

The walls of the dwarf-thing fortress of Kraka Drak

Kraka Drak was the largest and wealthiest of the Norse Dwarfholds. Kraka Drak sat on the largest iron, silver, and sapphire deposits in Norsca. The nearby coast is also blessed with an abundance of amber. The small harbour at Sjoktraken on Draksfjord gave easy access to the Sea of Claws via Ungruvalk - Warhammer Wiki, Kraka Drak
    After the Skavenslaves broke quickly at Khazad Bordkarag, it was time to reform Clan Moulder’s army. Clan-rat swordsmen took the place of Skavenslaves. A Clan Moulder packmaster was dispatched to the nearest outpost of Clan Eshin, to begin urgent negotiations. Some of our rat ogres and wolf rats marched south to fight for Clan Eshin, while Clan Eshin sent night runners to teach our clan-rats how to disappear into the shadows and shock-strike the enemy with sling and blade, yes-yes.

With our reformed army, the dwarf-thing port town of Sjoktraken fell easily. The waters around our new port are frozen for most of the year, but Skaven are adaptable. Clan Moulder traders, in their traditional red coats lined with white fur, set out on sleighs pulled by wolf rats, taking our trade goods to Norscan towns along the coast.

The Norscans are fierce man-things who make good warriors. They are skilled at surprise attacks and raids, which is probably why they are good Skaven-friends – they fight like we do. When we trade with the Norscans, it’s important to take the right kind of trade goods. If you give Norscans gem-stones taken in a raid on a dwarf-mine, they will be happy for a day. If you give Norscans dwarf-made axes, so that they can go on their own raids, they will be happy for a life-time, yes-yes!

After we took Sjoktraken, only the capital of the dwarf-thing colony remained – but it was a formidable obstacle. The walls and towers of the dwarf-thing fortress of Kraka Drak are strong. Anyone approaching the walls must cross a flat plain, and the dwarf-things do not allow any trees to grow that could provide cover. As you approach, you are an easy target for their crossbows. The dwarf-things have skilled craftsmen to make their weapons, and eager hands and keen eyes for using them. This dwarf-hold would not fall easily, not even to a proper army of clan-rat swordsmen with rat ogres and stealthy slingers.

Clan Moulder needed something new to take this mighty dwarf-hold, yes-yes. This was a chance for me, Throt, Lord of Hell Pit, to show the quality of my flesh-crafting. We needed something even stronger than a rat ogre. A beast with the power to break-smash an iron gate and to send shivers through the spines of the dwarf-thing axemen behind the gate. It was time to experiment.
    Last edited by Alwyn; December 11, 2021 at 06:04 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: Filthy (Skaven AAR) [updated December 11]

Wolf rats are cute puppies compared to what Throt is likely to have in mind...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

...enter, Hell Pit Abominations?

How does siege capabilities function in Warhammer TW? In the Medieval 2 warhammer mods units can (code-wise) be either artillery pieces or elephant artillery. The former has been used to depict for example Slann mages and various shamans with totems, the latter for greater daemons and the ogre leadbelchers.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

A new Alwyn AAR? Splendid-amazing indeed yes-yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Clan Moulder traders, in their traditional red coats lined with white fur, set out on sleighs pulled by wolf rats, taking our trade goods to Norscan towns along the coast.
    Looks like Christmas came early this year

And great to see so many old faces again, Maltacus and theSilentKiller.

Love that you have embarked on a Warhammer AAR, the fantasy aspect I've always found intriguing along with its varying factions and species. Enjoying the rat infestation you have going on so far and look forward to reading more.

Reading AARs before bed can be so much fun, and Alwyn, you've delivered excellently! I'm now all caught up with these new exploits, and I must say, I am loving the style of this, and the ways you're building immersion with the "yes-yes"es and other fun hyphenations. Long story short, I don't have any real interest in the Warhammer TW stuff, but I have immense interest in this! So well done you!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Very intriguing ending, though 'flesh-crafting' sounds a bit sinister - I now imagine some giant abomination they've created from the flesh of their enemies to break done the walls. Its your fault now if I can't sleep tonight!
    I like how you include small quotes from the wiki, made me read-up a bit on Warhammer lore (which fairly interesting with a mix of more classical stuff and some really unique ideas)

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    Very intriguing ending, though 'flesh-crafting' sounds a bit sinister - I now imagine some giant abomination they've created from the flesh of their enemies to break done the walls. Its your fault now if I can't sleep tonight!
    Oh dear... you're not going to like where it's probably going then...

Happy New Year and thanks for your kind comments (and perceptive suggestions about what kind of creature Throt was creating in Clan Moulder's flesh laboratory)! Maltacus, hopefully the next chapter explains how sieges work in Warhammer (if you'd like to know more, let me know). Welcome to TWC, Crossl3ones! I agree with Turk, it's brilliant to see people returning.

Chapter 6: The Siege of Kraka Drak

Many foes will flee from the unnatural sight of a Hell Pit Abomination long before the creatures gets close. With a horrifying slither and shamble, the creature propels itself across the battlefield, rearing up to a towering height before it hits the enemy line like a thunderbolt. - Warhammer Wiki, Hell Pit Abomination
    To reach the dwarf-thing stronghold of Kraka Drak, an attacker must trudge through miles of snow-covered empty wasteland with no opportunity to forage for food or firewood. When your cold and hungry warriors reach the walls, you must cross open ground under fire from dwarf-made crossbows, pushing your slow-moving siege tower or battering ram.

An obvious move for an attacker is to fill siege towers with your infantry, to overwhelm the defenders on the walls with superior numbers. We did this, even though the dwarf-made armour and axes of the enemy’s warriors made this unlikely to succeed. Another obvious move is to send a diversionary attack on another gate, to force the enemy to spread themselves more thinly. We did this too, even though our clan-rats had no chance of breaking through the axe-dwarfs defending the gate.

The diversionary attack

A less obvious move would be to fly over the walls, or burrow underneath them. While we have no beasts with wings, our clan-rats excel at digging. Our tunnel-diggers distracted the defenders, but we needed something stronger for victory. While another Skaven clan might have brought artillery, Clan Moulder used our flesh laboratory.

We needed something strong enough to break-smash an iron gate, and loathsome enough to put the fear of the Horned Rat into the stalwart dwarf-thing defenders. This would be the greatest experiment in flesh-crafting that Clan Moulder had ever made, yes-yes! We captured three large specimens of the vile grey worm-things which slither along the deepest tunnels of Hell Pit, hunting Skavenslaves. We fed them captured dwarf-things, and provided each worm with a different quantity of growth juice. After the third day, the smallest worm had disappeared. After the fifth day, only the largest worm remained. We grafted warpstone injectors onto the largest worm, to fuel its strength and rage. Our enemies called it an Abomination, and we adopted the name to encourage them to fear it. To Clan Moulder, it was the first-born result of our finest flesh-crafting.

With the help of rat ogres, our first Hell-Pit Abomination hammered an iron gate until it bent and burst inwards. Our finest creation squirmed forward, shrieking and slobbering with excitement and hunger at the sight of dwarf-things beyond the broken gate. Our rat ogres and clan-rat swordsmen charged the disordered enemy.

The Hell-Pit Abomination

But a mighty dwarf-thing warrior, Thorgard Cromson, the Lord of Kraka Drak, stood his ground. He waved his axe defiantly and rallied his warriors. The dwarf-things raised their axes and charged. A Hell-Pit Abomination is terrifying, but dwarf-axes that can break stone could destroy Clan Moulder’s finest flesh-crafting work too.

The Lord of Kraka Drak rallies his warriors
    Last edited by Alwyn; January 03, 2022 at 02:05 AM.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Filthy (Skaven AAR) [updated January 1]

Happy New Year to you as well Alwyn!

That Hell Pit Abmomination really didn't steal his name. That one is terrifying yes-yes. One almost feels sorry for the dwarf-things. Almost.

Happy New Year's, indeed! And I hope that in addition to having had some good relaxation and time with family, you also managed to pound some dwarves into the dust as well
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Yes-yes, the Hell-Pit Abomination is a terrifying worm-thing. Yes, I enjoyed taking on the dwarfs of Kraka Drak, here's what happened next...

Chapter 7: The Lord of Kraka Drak

The effects of a lifetime's work with warpstone can be seen, as bone spines protrude out of Throt's back and a third arm sprouts out of his bloated, but powerful frame. - Warhammer Wiki
    When the main gate of Kraka Drak was broken down by a huge Hell-Pit Abomination, Thorgard Cromson, the Lord of Kraka Drak, saw his axe-dwarfs falter and fall back. But the Great King of Kraka Drak would not easily let go of his capital. He stood his ground bravely. He rallied his frightened warriors and called for reinforcements to do what dwarfs do best in battle – building an impenetrable wall of armoured axe-warriors.

The Hell-Pit Abomination under attack

When I ran through the gateway with Packmaster Scuttle, I saw the danger. Our clan-rats could not defeat the dwarfs without help, and the available source of help was our Hell-Pit Abomination. The Abomination’s hide shone luminous green in places, as warpstone injectors grafted onto its back increased its strength, but it was under attack from a regiment of dwarfs. Its hide is tough and leathery, but dwarf-axes can crack stone. If the dwarfs could hold the line, our attack on their capital would fail.

I sent the Packmaster to distract the dwarf-things attacking the Abomination, while I approached Thorgard Crimson. His axe-arm was strong, and his armour was of the finest quality. A wolf rat charged at his throat, and he took off its head with a fast swing. A rat ogre lifted its blade to strike, and he remove its arm and sliced through one of its legs, bringing the rat ogre crashing down to the ground. A final axe-blow ended the rat ogre’s life. Thorgard Crimson was not only strong, he was agile and swift.

Throt faces Thorgard Crimson, Lord of Kraka Drak

In one hand, I held Creature Killer, my things-catcher. This pole-arm has metal jaws at its far end, containing inward-pointing steel teeth. The jaws of Creature Killer can surround the neck of a foe like a slave’s collar, and snap shut to put an end to your enemy. In my second hand, I held my whip, useful for sending beasts into battle, or to distract and wound a foe. In my third hand, I held a sharp sword. Clan Moulder are master mutators, keen experimenters with growth juice and warpstone. Master mutators seize the opportunity to improve themselves and a third arm is useful. A competent warrior can parry a blow from one arm, and a veteran can block or dodge blows from two, but not many can handle three attacks at once.

Thorgard Crimson swung his axe and bellowed a mighty roar. Another benefit of experimenting on myself with warpstone is that I can move faster than an enemy expects – this time, his axe swung through empty air. My whip snapped at him, sending him off balance. When Creature Killer snapped around his neck, it was all over. There was a new Lord of Kraka Drak.
    Last edited by Alwyn; January 16, 2022 at 04:05 AM.

Default Re: Filthy (Skaven AAR) [updated January 16]

Nicely done, Alwyn! Now the dwarf stronghold is yours!

A question to gameplay (as I'm no Warhammer TW player). When you've taken a place like this, do you have to recolonize it, or take some time to convert it to your faction's population? Like, does it use mechanics similar to religion in Rome: Barbarian Invasion to slow you, or can you just romp on past this now that it's under your belt?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast