Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 098 teaser: EVENTS' PICS by Cephalophore

Icon14 098 teaser: EVENTS' PICS by Cephalophore

6-22-23:
    This is the zip that contains the events as they are in my own files. A work in progress and do not cover all the new events in SSHIP which I struggle to keep up with. You will find the Italian, Middle Eastern, and Greek events here.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/4ii5g...Events.7z/file

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would like to share my current work on the mod with you all. Anyone who has played recent editions of SSHIP has likely come across some of my previous images. However, I have taken a new approach to event imagery. Each culture has a separate set of images, the majority of which are taken from illuminations/miniatures. I can provide links to the digitized manuscripts and databases upon request.

GREEK CULTURE

NORTHERN EUROPEAN

SOUTHERN EUROPEAN

MIDDLE EASTERN

EASTERN EUROPEAN

I'd greatly appreciate anyone who can help provide me with illuminated manuscripts (primarily 1000s-1300s) that are clearly of a distinctive Slavic, Iberian, or Italian style as these have proven the most difficult to find - I understand there are technical terms for these styles, but I am trying to be intelligible. Mosaics and Frescos are good too, but I haven't began to search for those yet.

Thanks, I hope you guys like them
    Last edited by Cephalophore; June 22, 2023 at 03:36 PM.

Default Re: SSHIP Teaser: Cephalophore's Events

Yeah, its gonna be hard for this period in terms of eastern european art. You see, ruthenians, as an example, used greek art style. They had their own quirks, but you'd be fine by putting greek art for them. Hold on, though, i have something to contribute.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This is suzdal golden gate. Try googling it. It has images like this, but i can't find this particular one.

Alsom there is хроника Георгия арматола, dated 14th century, i think. Shows some interesting things.

I will ask my friend for some more sources of ruthenian art, if you need.

Hey Alberdo,

I appreciate your input. I was not aware of either of these! It is likely that I bypassed the manuscript initially, because I try to give secular depictions priority. You might be aware of the Illuminated "Facial" Chronicle of Ivan? It is a bit late, however the imagery is not necessarily anachronistic - taking much inspiration from the extant East Slavic miniatures. There are literally 1000s of miniatures in those volumes. I haven't fully explored them because I cannot mentally transliterate Cyrillic, let alone old Cyrillic.

I would greatly appreciate any sources you can send my way!

I completely agree with you that the Slavic images often employ the Byzantine style.

My main problem is that the Poles and the Hungarians are defined as Eastern Europeans in game, however their art is usually identical to Western styles. So, as you say about mixing in some Byzantine styled stuff, I may just have to mix in those too.

Its a tricky situation with orthodox art style. Chronicle of Ivan is anarchonistic only because it sometime has so much sabres. Aside from that, it does not matter that much, because orthodox art almost never shows real things. Sure, that chronicle has distinct features of moscovite art, not all orthodox art is the same, but if you compare general view to like 9th century byzantine art, it does not look that different.
    Just look at this 9th to 10th century byzantine fresco and compare it to the Ivan chronicle. They do look the same with all the leather cuirasses, pteryges and those bras, all of which most likely never existed in such form. So yeah, you get the idea, orthodox christian art did not change for like 1000 years.

There are examples of orthodox art that does actually look more realistic, despite still having leather cuirasses that did not exist. For example:
    This is supposed to be from the end of 18th century - Об отцах Соловецкого монастыря и их страданиях. You can see that it shows real armor, which is inspired by middle east and was indeed worn by moscovites. As you can also see, it shows that leather cuirass with pteryges as well, which always shows up in orthodox art. In this case, i just compared it to the depiction of teutonic soldiers, shown in Ivan chronicle. Ofc teutonic order didn't wear leather cuirass with pteryges and didn't use sabres, but it just shows how useless it is to analize some orthodox art.

Another example of how silly orthodox art is. You said that you need frescoes from 1300s, so i guess this fits, cause its from late 1300s. It was made by artists from Lithuania, but obviously, not lithuanians, who were pagans, just baptised at that moment and they were also not orthodox christians, but catholics. This means that this art is made by ruthenians, who art that time were not strangers to western military equipment, but they still added those leather cuirasses with pteryges. Helmets too are inspired by bascinets of that time, merged with greek helmets of 2000 years ago, which were constatly brought back in orthodox christian art. This resides in Lublin castle chapel.

So yeah, in terms of putting newer, anachronistic orthodox christian art, try to put the most "orthodox" one, because they look the same. You can skip the ones, which obviously have anarchronistic elements. It depends how accurate do you want to be, really. If you wanna have 100% accuracy, it will be a bit harder. It will also be hard to find non-religious art, because you know, those were the times of religion.

Its a tricky situation with orthodox art style. Chronicle of Ivan is anachronistic only because it sometime has so much sabres. Aside from that, it does not matter that much, because orthodox art almost never shows real things. Sure, that chronicle has distinct features of moscovite art, not all orthodox art is the same, but if you compare general view to like 9th century byzantine art, it does not look that different.

This is supposed to be from the end of 18th century - Об отцах Соловецкого монастыря и их страданиях. You can see that it shows real armor, which is inspired by middle east and was indeed worn by moscovites. As you can also see, it shows that leather cuirass with pteryges as well, which always shows up in orthodox art. In this case, i just compared it to the depiction of teutonic soldiers, shown in Ivan chronicle. Ofc teutonic order didn't wear leather cuirass with pteryges and didn't use sabres, but it just shows how useless it is to analize some orthodox art.
    The Orthodox style is indeed quite fantastical. The facial expressions are almost always depressing, somber.. really a juxtaposition to the smiling faces of Western art. There is a larger focus on expression than capturing reality. As for the sabres, you raise a good point... sabres occasionally feature in western manuscripts, sometimes Mongols, Turks, Arabs, etc. are shown dressed in the style of Europeans. Sometimes they're given monstrous features. etc.

https://runivers.ru/lib/book6958/
    ^^^Link to a large collection of the Ivan Chronicle, but it's not every single extant manuscript^^^

https://www.wdl.org/ru/item/13020/
    I appreciate you bringing this one to my attention. It is probably one of the most brutal ones I have seen. The Morgan Bible couldn't compare nor the Ilkhanid miniatures.

Another example of how silly orthodox art is. You said that you need frescoes from 1300s, so i guess this fits, cause its from late 1300s
    Haha, yeah, it's funny. There are so many illuminations from the 1300s that show 1200s era armor, but then there are ones with more accurate to the period depictions. I think "The Grande Chronicles of France" has many renditions that are like this.

So yeah, in terms of putting newer, anachronistic orthodox christian art, try to put the most "orthodox" one, because they look the same. You can skip the ones, which obviously have anachronistic elements. It depends how accurate do you want to be, really. If you wanna have 100% accuracy, it will be a bit harder. It will also be hard to find non-religious art, because you know, those were the times of religion.
    I have generally accepted that total accuracy is a fantasy of stubborn "historians" that have mythologized interpretations, but I take your advice already - I try to avoid blatantly ahistorical art. Religious art is fine, but I avoid objectively religious images as much as possible. I don't want to put a picture of the virgin Mary up there, y'know. A good bit of the Greek stuff is straight out of religious texts. You pretty much only have three non religious choices (that I know of):
    Διήγησις Αλεξάνδρου (located here) http://eib.xanthi.ilsp.gr/gr/manuscr...selectedAnchor
    Manasses Chronicle (a perfect example of slavic in the orthodox style) https://digi.vatlib.it/view/MSS_Vat.slav.2
    Of course, Skylitzes https://www.wdl.org/en/item/10625/

Last edited by Cephalophore; October 31, 2021 at 11:03 PM.

These look great

Thanks, Nulgath!

When I run these miniatures through GIMP I occasionally touch up or manipulate a few things... an example is here:
    ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPT MINIATURE

REDONE MANUSCRIPT MINIATURE

IN-GAME MINIATURE

That gigantic baby is unsightly and an abomination.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: 098 teaser: EVENTS' PICS by Cephalophore

Indeed, your modifications are completely justified !

CLICK ME LIKE ONE OF YOUR GREEK GIRLS

Gorgeous ! Excellent job Cephalophore! I can't wait to see these event images replace the old ones !!!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Great stuff! I suppose the purple\burgundy outside the frame is actual transparent in game?

@Kostic
    Thanks! The Greek culture is almost completely finished at this point and Northern European is not much further behind.

@Gigantus
    Yes, indeed. I probably should upload these as PNG or something. I just habitually export as jpg.

Pretty amazing your images for sship events!!! +Rep my friend
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Thanks, Luna. Soon, hopefully soon; all the vanilla images will be a forgotten memory

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

Do you want Georgian miniatures?

http://warfare.ga/Georgia.htm

http://warfare.ga/12/Georgian-Jruchi...pels-12thC.htm

Last edited by Khevsur; November 22, 2021 at 12:51 PM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

@Ceph - mind also how do they appear in-game. In most cases they'll be much smaller (the beggining-of-turn reports) than you have them here. Maybe fewer details would be better?

I haven't tested many factions yet, but I love every time a picture of Ceph pops up!
    Great job!

@Khevsur

Actually, I have the first one of Georgian riders. However, what would be more useful is digitized manuscript in Georgian libraries. I.E. Links to manuscripts with miniatures in them. I assume that Georgian Libraries likely have digitized materials.

@Jurand

The pictures that appear smaller are actually separate files. I have just realized that these do not support transparency. Quality is not sacrificed when they're shrunk, but they are surrounded in blackness. off top of my head.. vnvtraitancilarry.tga or something? this needs to be cropped. I will do it and will be fixed when I send the next zip to you.

@Kostic

Greek culture will be most thorough.
    If you're playing as any other culture you will be seeing a lot of vanilla still, unfortunately.

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

I will try to get high quality material. By what date should I do this?

I am actively working on replacing all images. The sooner the better. The longer the wait the more likely I will have already created an image from another source. However, the Georgian Reform events and Georgia specific events such as Mongols Invade Caucasus will be best if I have Georgian Miniatures.

I have been unable to find much Georgian miniatures. Most websites that I found charge money for copies or require an official request to access. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast