Thread: Extracting & Editing Campaign/Strat Models

Callistonian's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Extracting & Editing Campaign/Strat Models

Before I re-install ETW and download pack manager and etc., I'm hoping someone can tell me if it's possible to extract campaign/strategy map models such as those for resource and settlement buildings. What tools would I need to do this and will these give me something in .ms3d or otherwise openable in 3ds Max or Blender?

Also, is this the highest quality strat models in the game files? This is as good as I remember the strat models in ETW looking, but it's much lower quality than the renders in the building UI. Is this simply because the graphics settings were too low? Are the assets used for the building UI still present in the game files or do we only have these LODed assets as shown in the picture?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Extracting & Editing Campaign/Strat Models

I remember converting a unit model for use as strat model in 1648 back in the days, not sure which python converter (to milkshape) I used:

ETWrigid_modelConverter_v1_0_beta
    ETWrigid_naval_modelConverter_v1_0_beta
    ETWvariant_weighted_meshConverter_v1_3

Get them here

Can't remember though how I went about to extract the model in the first place. Weapons are at the bottom of the model so need to be moved into place before rigging. Can't remember either whether the skeleton was in place or if I had to use Goat to apply the default skeleton. 10 years does things to the mind....

No idea about the other stuff.

Last edited by Gigantus; October 28, 2021 at 10:14 PM.

I know unit models can be converted, we have a ton of them ported to M2 for various mods. And I've seen ETW mods with edited strat models. But I've never seen an ETW mod with edited building/settlement strat models. I found a thread in this forum where someone says it's easy to do but offers no explanation.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Ah yes, me rushing in again. Never tried converting a non character strat model (managed to to convert the strat ship), sorry. Have you asked the ITWE guys if they might have a clue, after all they are also deeply into RTW remastered?

I found and extracted the strategy map assets from ETW's models.pack using Pack File Manager 4.1.2. I was able to convert a number of files using KnightErrant's Python scripts posted above. The problem is that KE's scripts can't handle .rigid_model_animation.

Every thread I've seen around here leads back to Ultimate Unwrap 3D, and using the demo version I am able to open .rigid_model_animation files. I refuse to believe that the entire modding communities of ETW and all subsequent Warscape games have been paying a $60 toll for what is essentially a middleware import/export app in the vein of Milkshape 3D, especially when the actual import/export scripts were written by a member of the TWC community presumably for free. Why people chose to write modding plugins for these paid middleware apps is beyond me. I guess, back in the day, people thought Blender was too scary... There must be another way to convert .rigid_model_animation files.