Thread: Issues getting any true FPS

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Issues getting any true FPS

I recently upgraded my monitors and purchased two LG 27UL500. I have a Nvidea GTX 1060 6GB with 16gb of RAM and I've been having trouble getting any games except Zero Hour to run above 20 FPS, even on low resolutions like 1080p instead of 4k. I'm also using up something like 15gb of RAM when I play Zero Hour and other games. Planet Zoo, Cities Skylines, Hearts of Iron are all below 15 FPS, doesn't matter if it's at 4k, 2560x1440(something around that at least) or 1920x1080p.

Below picture is in planet zoo at low settings on 1920x1080p

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Default Re: Issues getting any true FPS

Switch back to the old monitor, does the FPS issues resolves itself? Because RAM usage suggests something else is going on. Games don't eat that much RAM. Check the task manager to see what's eating that RAM first.
    - The FPS you're getting with 1060 seems like you're actually running on 4K. Keep the desktop resolution to 4K and the in-game to 1080p in the primary gaming monitor.
    - Also did you check the temps on your GPU? May be thermal throttling.

Blog Entries

Desktop resolution set to 4K, ingame at 1920x1080p.
    Temp looks to be good.

Just played from Ground Branch, not the most graphical game out there but it did 4k on 55fps with a temp of 75 celsius at the max.

Last edited by General Brewster; October 28, 2021 at 10:39 AM.

Low vs Ultra summary, the GeForce GTX 1060 will be a good match for 1080p on Planet Zoo - Low 92 FPS, Medium 73 FPS, High 49 FPS, Ultra 35 FPS.

Is that what you're getting in this game?

Blog Entries

Not even close but I wasn't getting that on the old screen(s) either!

The 12FPS as in the above picture is on 1920, medium settings.

It seems your GPU max usage was 62% whereas it should be generally 99-100% when rendering games. Make sure you haven't set some GPU profile in the MSI-Afterburner that maybe limiting it and make sure under Power Options you have selected the "High performance" mode.

Blog Entries

Hi Ishan,

I feel a little bit stupid.. but where exactly do I find these power options?

- Press Windows Key
    - Type "Choose a Power Plan"
    - Select High Performance mode if Balanced mode is active

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Windows 11 sucks, tried that search just now to see if my 'high' setting was carried over from 10 and all I get is web results. Sigh, back to doing things old school...

Edit: It switched over to 'Smart Game Boost Power Plan' - guess I have to figure out how that works ('activate it when you switch to Game Mode for boosting') as so far there is nada on the net. On first glance high performance setting was set to switch off hard drive when idle (20minutes) while game boost is 'never'. Pretty sure I had set 'high' to 'never' switch off the hard drive, seeing that it's a PC.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 28, 2021 at 09:57 PM.

Win11 has some good features for gamers but currently it requires at least a year to get proper updates, especially for the people with AM4 socket. I tested the insider build for about a week and they're just using the crowd to find the flaws. It needs time for polish.

Blog Entries

I made a system mirror before converting plus I have daily backups of my working files (e-mails, documents etc) so reverting back to 10 isn't an issue, I am on day three now. Excuse the ignorance - what is a AM4 socket (processor related?) and how to check?
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 29, 2021 at 04:48 AM.

Yes system image is best option. No matter the havoc, everything can be restored in 10 mins if something goes terribly wrong.

And AM4 socket is the motherboard socket for AMD users using the process based on Zen2 and Zen3. Users have reported 15% gaming performance drop in Win11. It's being patched.

Blog Entries

Wish it was 10 minutes, 1.5TB does take a tad longer from a regular hard drive

I think I could live with 15% drop for a while, if I had AMD - my gaming dedication us 'sub fanatic'.

Just discovered that 11 switched off my system restore, probably because it used custom settings.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 29, 2021 at 06:38 AM.

I spent 2 months to completely figure out what works best for gaming. My system image consists of:
    - Windows 10 debloat which uses 1.2GB of RAM upon startup out of 32GB total. Most of the crapware and telemetry gets uninstalled.
    - Custom settings and configuration for windows & of every other software installed.
    - All apps that I use & drivers.

It takes 51GB in total and 10 mins to restore back to fresh fast install with everything configured on a PCI-E based NVMe SSD. SSDs have proven to be the best tech in last decade both for work and gaming.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    - Press Windows Key
    - Type "Choose a Power Plan"
    - Select High Performance mode if Balanced mode is active
    Alright, set to high performance. Didn't change anything. Added screenshot is after I put it on high performance. Game is on 1920x1080 and the settings are on low. Low and ultra made zero difference. Only thing that caught my eye this time that it put my CPU on 100% as couple times.

Download and run the heaven benchmark and post your results. Keep the same settings as by the user below:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Score should be around 1800.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    It takes 51GB in total and 10 mins to restore back to fresh fast install with everything configured on a PCI-E based NVMe SSD. SSDs have proven to be the best tech in last decade both for work and gaming.
    Agreed, fresh install from\to SSD is a breeze. I thought you were referring to a system mirror restore. Fresh install is my ABFF approach and so far, fingers crossed, I did not have to use it.

Blog Entries

Not really sure why it says Windows NT. Or why there's a citrix indirect display adapter mention but well. Seems I preformed higher than you said it would Ishan.

That's because you are using lower settings. No AA with Tessellation disabled.
    Anyways it seems the card is performing in the benchmark and unable to load to 100% in games this could be because of conflict with Citrix which is a VDA (Virtual Desktop Agent) WDDM based driver.
    I suggest a complete reinstall of NVIDIA GR driver using DDU in safe mode, disconnect the LAN\internet to prevent auto-update while reinstalling drivers.
    Or you could select the advanced option that prevents it: