Thread: Best Saka Strategies?

Default Best Saka Strategies?

Anyone here an avid Saka Rauka player? My first playthrough since probably EBI. Wondering specifically about the top tier government and where you prefer to place those? Any other strats or recommendations also welcome.

For reference, I am at turn 70 and have destroyed Baktria and have reduced Pahlava to Nisaya. Still some ways to achieving reforms, but I'd like to turtle in the top corner of the map for a while before pushing into India and then swarming the rest of the map once reforms and top-tier government achieved.

Default Re: Best Saka Strategies?

Ok, I have played Saka before and can add to this.

If you are on track to settling down, this is the government to take note of:

Kanthuanda Kshaharę (Urban Land):

Alrighty, This post settlement government can be built in most places in the east and provides decent infrastructure options across the board along with local recruitment and a small retinue of Saka units and can converts to the Eastern Imperial (EI) but be warned, you folks will become quite unhappy when this is installed but it is absolutey essential to stick with it because that culture conversion is needed for what will be elaborated below.

Once you achieve imperial domain, these are the governments avaliable to you:

Shavanę Kshaharę (Satrap's Land):

This is the government you will likely have in your minor provinces (Where the Seleucids can usually build Hyparchia). It needs 30% EI and provides furthur conversion to 40% EI, this is the first government to provide the ability to build foreign garrisons (Lvl 1 only).

Shavanę Kanthuanda Kshaharę (Satrap's Urban Land):

This slightly more exclusive government needs 40% EI can be built in Satrapy Provinces such as Baktria and Taksashila and provides improved infrastrcture options compared to the previous governments and provides furthur conversion to 50% EI. This is the government where Lvl2 foreign garrisons can be built.

Shahiyę Kshaharę (Royal Land):

This gem of a government can be built from the previous two governments once your authority and territoral expansion is at its peak (Maximum of 6). Build this ideally in Satrapy Provinces with city level settlements as it helps to cement control over these all important regions. Saka elites such as Nobles and Cataphracts can be mustered here along with Varu (Indian Elephants) if built in India and Pahropan i Balk (Baktrian Guards) if built in Baktria. In addition, it provides up to 60% EI conversion and allows the best infrastructure the Saka have avaliable to be built including Lvl 3 Foreign Miitary Garrisons (With the areas you are sitting on right now, you can even recruit additional Sakan Cataphracts!).

As for the Saka late game, all cavalry spams are still acceptable provided that you have the micromanagement to look after all of them in the heat of battle. If not, mixed armies are still fine with local troops serving as infantry and foot skirmishers while your vaulted Sakan cavalry can deal the same amount of destruction as before. But that's not all! Don't get too comfortable sitting on your throne, much greater powers from beyond the known steppe transpire to undo all tht you have achieved....

And finally ,one curious thing to note, the Saka cannot access their Law temple until they settle down.
    Last edited by realm56; October 25, 2021 at 07:33 PM.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Thanks as always, Realm. Given that Royal Land can be built in Satrapy Provinces, I can theoretically build Royal Land in a place like Persepolis, no? So I just want to verify with someone who's done it that I can spread Royal Land between Baktria, India, Iran, and Iraq. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Ok, I have played Saka before and can add to this.

If you are on track to settling down, this is the government to take note of:

Kanthuanda Kshaharę (Urban Land):

Alrighty, This post settlement government can be built in most places in the east and provides decent infrastructure options across the board along with local recruitment and a small retinue of Saka units and can converts to the Eastern Imperial (EI) but be warned, you folks will become quite unhappy when this is installed but it is absolutey essential to stick with it because that culture conversion is needed for what will be elaborated below.

Once you achieve imperial domain, these are the governments avaliable to you:

Shavanę Kshaharę (Satrap's Land):

This is the government you will likely have in your minor provinces (Where the Seleucids can usually build Hyparchia). It needs 30% EI and provides furthur conversion to 40% EI, this is the first government to provide the ability to build foreign garrisons (Lvl 1 only).

Shavanę Kanthuanda Kshaharę (Satrap's Urban Land):

This slightly more exclusive government needs 40% EI can be built in Satrapy Provinces such as Baktria and Taksashila and provides improved infrastrcture options compared to the previous governments and provides furthur conversion to 50% EI. This is the government where Lvl2 foreign garrisons can be built.

Shahiyę Kshaharę (Royal Land):

This gem of a government can be built from the previous two governments once your authority and territoral expansion is at its peak (Maximum of 6). Build this ideally in Satrapy Provinces with city level settlements as it helps to cement control over these all important regions. Saka elites such as Nobles and Cataphracts can be mustered here along with Varu (Indian Elephants) if built in India and Pahropan i Balk (Baktrian Guards) if built in Baktria. In addition, it provides up to 60% EI conversion and allows the best infrastructure the Saka have avaliable to be built including Lvl 3 Foreign Miitary Garrisons (With the areas you are sitting on right now, you can even recruit additional Sakan Cataphracts!).

As for the Saka late game, all cavalry spams are still acceptable provided that you have the micromanagement to look after all of them in the heat of battle. If not, mixed armies are still fine with local troops serving as infantry and foot skirmishers while your vaulted Sakan cavalry can deal the same amount of destruction as before. But that's not all! Don't get too comfortable sitting on your throne, much greater powers from beyond the known steppe transpire to undo all tht you have achieved....

And finally ,one curious thing to note, the Saka cannot access their Law temple until they settle down.
    Can i build law temples in camps, after settling down? I am avid supporter of law and order !

Sorry, those particular temples are settlement exclusive and avaliabe post reform only.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu