Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Decision] Creating a Curia Banner (and Logo)

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default [Decision] Creating a Curia Banner (and Logo)

Pretty straight I guess

my idea is to briefly discuss here what should be the technical side of it (maximum size and file dimension basically, format) and leave the creative part completely in the hands of our artists, putting up a competition to decide (a very simple poll with option, nothing really different from what we are used to here).

I'm not techy, but from my previous experience anything in PNG format with something like 350*700 pix and max size of 500KB should work.

Logo is really optional and should be consistent in style and colors with the banner, so maybe if we really want it we can ask the winning artist to make it after their winning banner. Alternatively, or in addition, we can also ask for a signature bar.

ps if you are wondering what use we could do of a banner/logo/sigbar, then there are various possibilities: promoting the Curia in our signatures, adding a bling to the most important curial threads (constitution, reports), in the Curia CMS and in general every time we wanted to identify something so that it is promptly connected with the Curia.

edit:

Shall the Curia have an official banner?
    Decision: The Curia needs an official banner, therefore an art competition will be held, with public submissions.

To make it easy and fast, the submission thread will be posted in the Prothalamos, where every member can come and submit their proposal. For the purpose of giving time to people to notice the submission thread, it will remain open for three (3) weeks; also the Consul (or the Censors) will take care of promoting the competition where possible (Thema Devia, Q&S, Discord) and ask the Hex for a front page announcement as well.

It's only up to the submitters to decide how to craft their proposal, but the submission must be in PNG format, 350*700 pix and max size of approx 500KB.

Once the submission period will end, the Consul (or the Censors) will take care of putting up a poll in the Curia Vote subforum, which will remain open for 2 weeks. Every citizen will have only one vote and in case of a tie, a second round of vote will be set up to decide which one is the winner.

The maker of the winning submission will receive a reward of 15 rep points, with the courtesy and help of the Hex.

Once the banner will be approved by vote, it will be considered official for the Curia, and therefore it will be posted in the OP of the following threads:

- The Constitution
    - The Citizen Handbook
    - Curial Information and Reports
    - Citizens, Awards and Nominations
    - Townhall
    - Register of Medals
    - Annals of Elections
    - Annals of Amendments
    - Annals of Decisions

It will also be used in every Curial Report or Curial Article posted in the Curial CMS.

Closing note: while not mandatory, everyone is free to use the banner in their OPs in the Prothalamos or the Questioned Perpetue, if they like.
    Last edited by Flinn; October 25, 2021 at 05:35 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: [DECISION] Creating a Curia Banner (and Logo)

We should use the same size and format as the content publication and scriptorium banners and logos. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

I agree, the tech data I posted above is the one used for banners of the Site Awards since long.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Support.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

A banner should look nifty over official stuff like the reports - less 'bureaucratically stuffy'

Support.

A banner would be a good idea if we have a shared idea of what the Curia is.

This is what the descriptions says:
    A Citizens only forum for the discussion of proposals for the betterment of the site and nominations for citizenship, awards, and elections.
    However, this is our function. It doesn't define who we are. Some it is award committee, others, it is a pseudo government. Yet, for some, it is a recognized members who demonstrate good postings and contribution. Yet, some may say some combination of all three. Any banner would have capture both our identity and function.

SUPPORT .... I am curious what transpires.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Decision] Creating a Curia Banner (and Logo)

Support.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

ok it seems that there's generally a positive feedback

in the meanwhile, do you people think that submitters have to be kept private? I don't think so and I'm fine with a public submission thread which we'll be up like 3 weeks (pretty much a standard), the more because someone passing by could notice it and decide to participate.

Also, my idea is to ask only for the banner and in case the winner later wants to make a logo and/or a sigbar, I will ask Hex to give them some rep (like 15 points, looks fair) for the extra work. Any opposition?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I assumed that any competition would be public and run fairly similarly to all of the previous Curial competitions, like the Troy Badges competition.

If we decide on both a banner and a logo they should both be submitted at the same time in the same competition, or a separate competition should be held simultaneously for both.

Rep rewards should ideally, and Hex willing, follow the same distribution as previous contributions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I assumed that any competition would be public and run fairly similarly to all of the previous Curial competitions, like the Troy Badges competition.
    absolutely fine with it

If we decide on both a banner and a logo they should both be submitted at the same time in the same competition, or a separate competition should be held simultaneously for both.
    I'm not very keen of asking for "too much" work, especially if not really needed; I mean, the banner is gonna be used extensively, the logo/sigbar are very subjective and anyone might want to decide to use their own version (i.e, in their signatures). This has been put up mainly for the banner, but I mentioned the possibility of optionally adding the logo/sigbar at the discretion of the winner, knowing that there could be a rep reward for that.
    I don't really think we need an official logo/sigbar, since, as I said, those are very personal (expanding: you can pretend the official logo banner to be used in certain official curial posts or articles, but you can't pretend people to use something specific in their signatures and anyways even if an official logo/sigbar would exist, nothing will prevent them to pick something completely different.. it's their signature after all), but of course it would be nice to have an option for a logo/sigbar which is consistent with the official Banner.

Rep rewards should ideally, and Hex willing, follow the same distribution as previous contributions.
    I agree, and also eventually it will be the Hex who will decide what rep to give, although I don't see them rising any issue if what we ask to begin with is reasonable. I think that 10 reps for a banner and maybe another 10 or 15 for the logo and sigbar is reasonable, not different from what I've used myself as a rep rewards for long while running the Site Awards.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Support for both instances, though a banner should be the primary focus.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

ok I've updated the OP with the official wording and the rules, please reinstate your support so that this can be moved to vote asap.

ps. as the proposer and actual Censor, I volunteer to post all the necessary threads and do all the due updates once the competition will be over and the banner becomes official.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

No rest for the wicked - support.

Let the masses vote... SUPPORT

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Re-support

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Support.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

nice @ Consul, please move this to vote as soon as possible, it will take time to follow the full procedure, so the sooner the better

thanks

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Every "graphics" competition without the distribution of Graphics Competition points is a wasted opportunity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    Every "graphics" competition without the distribution of Graphics Competition points is a wasted opportunity.
    Unfortunately those are outside the remit of the Curia, afaik. I'll talk about this with Hex, in case they wish I suppose they can still assign competition points, but this will be run here in the Curia in any case.

Thanks for pointing this out

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I fully agree with Araval. It would be ideal, and I find it rather likely personally, for Hex/Content to offer up some delicious Graphic Competition Points as a prize.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast