Thread: Animation Speed Tip (Better looking Battles)

Default Animation Speed Tip (Better looking Battles)

Setting the time rate in game (on the battle screen) up to about 1.3 or 1.4 makes the unit animation look much more realistic, as opposed to moving under water. Hold shift and click the time compression arrow on the battle minimap and it will go up in increments of 0.1 instead of jumping from 1.0 to 2.0 then 6.0

It will revert back to 1.0 when scrolling on the map, but as soon as you stop it'll jump back to whatever you set it to. This works with M2TW vanilla and other mods as well, it drastically improves the fun of watching battles IMO.

I posted this a while ago but only in the EB2 forum, answered someone's post about it here earlier today, and just thought I'd drop this here for anyone who didn't know.

Makes M2 battles 1,000,000% more fun to watch up close, no more "moving underwater" weird slowish-mo fighting.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Animation Speed Tip (Better looking Battles)

It's not well known - thanks for sharing.

I always wondered how some youtubers were able to slow things down to an absolute crawl during a battle as they spoke about this or that unit. Very good info. +rep

Blog Entries

I seriously wonder if it is possible to make a battle script that does it automatically for you - the issue I see are the name of the UI element plus the Shift+Click

46thCharlemagne's Avatar Libertus
    Central Republic of Dindunuffinz Raggamuffinz

Quote Originally Posted by mlc82 View Post
    Setting the time rate in game (on the battle screen) up to about 1.3 or 1.4 makes the unit animation look much more realistic, as opposed to moving under water. Hold shift and click the time compression arrow on the battle minimap and it will go up in increments of 0.1 instead of jumping from 1.0 to 2.0 then 6.0

It will revert back to 1.0 when scrolling on the map, but as soon as you stop it'll jump back to whatever you set it to. This works with M2TW vanilla and other mods as well, it drastically improves the fun of watching battles IMO.

I posted this a while ago but only in the EB2 forum, answered someone's post about it here earlier today, and just thought I'd drop this here for anyone who didn't know.

Makes M2 battles 1,000,000% more fun to watch up close, no more "moving underwater" weird slowish-mo fighting.
    Years ago someone posted about this little-known ability to change game speed by 0.1 increments by holding down the shift key while clicking the arrows on the time dilator, and I've been using your exact same preferred values ever since, for the same reason.

I love the visual realism of this game (and intentionally ignore its many unrealistic aspects, but find it still more realistic in ways than even the most recent TW games) along with much of the physics and game mechanics, so I very often will watch battles up close, or zoom in at key moments like a great charge or watching rows of dozens of cannons firing at nearly the same time.

1.3 or 1.4 seems most realistic most of the time. There are a few situations where it seems like they're moving a bit too fast, but once the action is intense things seem just about right. I have never played at 1.0 for years, and use 2.0 when getting a little impatient, 6.0 for the same reason but much less often.

46thCharlemagne's Avatar Libertus
    Central Republic of Dindunuffinz Raggamuffinz

Almost forgot, for those who love close-up visuals you have to occasionally bring the time rate to 0.1 or 0.2 and watch footmen being blasted into the air by a powerful cavalry charge. Hearing their screams play out repeatedly, again and again as they flip through the air is hilarious.

I've watched many an enemy general do a summersault through the air before breaking his back/neck on the landing, after his mount charged onto my cunningly-placed stakes.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I seriously wonder if it is possible to make a battle script that does it automatically for you - the issue I see are the name of the UI element plus the Shift+Click
    I'd like to see an example of such a script because by some dumb reasons can't compose it by myself.

Also want to script disable pause function at all, I believe I saw an example somewhere around TWC but can't find it now.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Blog Entries

Disabling individual UI elements via script isn't possible afaik, at least not the key board commands. You will however find scripts that disable the input and then use the script to click a button, like this 'no retreat' script of mine from 1648 involving the pre battle scroll:
    Code:
        ;--- Keine Feigheit vor dem Feind ---
        declare_counter hist_schlacht
        monitor_event ScrollOpened ScrollOpened prebattle_scroll
            if I_CompareCounter hist_schlacht = 1
                campaign_wait 1
                disable_cursor
                ui_flash_start prebattle_fight_button
                campaign_wait 3
                select_ui_element prebattle_fight_button
                simulate_mouse_click lclick_down
                simulate_mouse_click lclick_up
            end_if
            enable_cursor
            set_counter hist_schlacht 0

end_monitor
    You could give it a try to disable the key linkage following this guide of mine. You will find some commented out linkages (fov stuff) which should give you an idea how to disable it fully and only for battle.
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 25, 2023 at 08:23 AM.

Got some progress here, dealing with Pause button and working on speed changes by another ways. If you have interest I'll post the results here.

Blog Entries

If you have a working solution then I suggest to open a thread in the miscellaneous tutorial forum and link it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    If you have a working solution then I suggest to open a thread in the miscellaneous tutorial forum and link it here.
    Done.
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post16132580

I find out that 1.2 speed is sometimes too fast for units that already boosted in EDU, such as missile cavalry - their fast movement looks unnaturally. So I set 1.1 for me and it looks just fine.