For Reference; for TW Rome: Remastered, the location of preferences.txt is altered from TW Rome: Vanilla.

The new default file path is:

C:\Users\“username”\AppData\Local\Feral Interactive\Total War ROME REMASTERED\VFS\Local\Rome\preferences\preferences.txt

~~~~~~~~

I've been enjoying the remastered version of TW:Rome. The tweaks to diplomacy and trade have added more customizable elements to game play over vanilla imho. In particular have been getting into the mod 'Rome Total Realism: Imperium Surrectum 0.2.3'. It's a visually beautiful mod and has good historical attention to detail in the unit skins and army compositions. It also has all the memory leak issues and CTD's i remember from early versions of Europa Barobarum I.

I've started optimizing preferences.txt settings and it took a bit of time to work out how Feral Interactive has changed the directory tree of the game around. Some of the files that used to be in the main game directory of Rome have been ported to the file path I've given above. Generally I'd look for what you are trying to modify but can't find in those directories off ..Users\..\AppdataLocal\Feral Interactive.

I'm trialing some changes in prefernces.txt, in particular
AUTO_SAVE:FALSE

To attempt to minimize CTD that seem to cropping up every half hour. (The CTD's aren't happening in the base game, just in the mod).
There used to be a trouble shooting thread for EB up a long time a go and one of the causes of CTD's it listed was saving just before a battle.

Same old game, seems to be the same old ground I'm going over. But its been good fun to play Rome TW again.