Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scandza: Total War (Preview & Download)

Default Scandza: Total War (Preview & Download)

Scandza: Total War version 1.0 is finally here, released to the public!

- Units & 2D Art -

- Campaign Map (slightly outdated and using normal environment) -

- Soundtrack by Krauka -

Please follow one of these links to download Scandza: Total War 1.0:

ModDB

Dropbox

Patch 1.2 (17-01-24)
    ModDB
    Dropbox
    (optional w. normal environment here)

Non-Steam installation:

- Extract the "scandza" folder into your "bi" folder inside your main RTW folder (eg. "D:\Games\Rome - Total War\bi").
    - Update: Download and install Patch 1.2 (extract and overwrite the full version "scandza" folder).
    - Place the "Scandza - Total War.bat" inside the main RTW folder and run it.

Steam installation:

- Extract the "scandza" folder into your "bi" folder inside your main RTW folder (eg. "D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\bi").
    - Update: Download and install Patch 1.2 (extract and overwrite the full version "scandza" folder).
    - Right click on Rome: Total War in your Steam Library and go to "Properties".
    - In the "Launch Options" copy and paste "-mod:bi\scandza -nm -ne -show_err" (without quotation marks, and important to use the backslash!).

- Run your game through Steam and select "Launch Rome: Total War Barbarian Invasion".

The mod is fully mod-foldered, so it will not conflict with your clean installation of Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion (or Gold).

NOTE:

If your screen resolution is lower than 1080, you have to edit the preferences.txt (inside "...bi\scandza\preferences").

Set these two to your screen's resolution:
    STRATEGY_RESOLUTION:1920x1080
    BATTLE_RESOLUTION:1920x1080

Depending on your resolution, you may want to disable the Widescreen setting (in advanced video options).

The mod is balanced for Hard/Hard difficulty and Huge unit scale.

The mod starts in 391 AD, the same year that Theodosius I extinguishes the eternal fire in the Temple of Vesta and establishes Christianity as the Roman state religion - but very little of this matters in the far removed region of Scandza; here legends are still alive, and lasting states yet to be formed; but history is fast approaching and people will soon settle into strong tribal states, the successors of which will last until this day; others will migrate to the continent or the soon to be defenceless Britain; this is the time of the great migrations, and also the shaping of what we know as Scandinavia.

Population management:

The background script lowers the population of all settlements after each Winter, at the beginning of Spring (every fourth turn) - and additionally every Summer along the North Sea Coast. This migratory tendency will increase gradually, especially for the Western Germanic sphere.

All larger settlements (2nd tier government building and up) will also, on top of that, lose some population each season, but this can be somewhat countered by having a governor present.

Migration unrest mechanics:

The religions of Barbarian Invasion have been replaced by a stance towards migration: either a settlement will have a strong pull towards migratory tendencies, or it will be in favour of a more settled "sedentary" stance. The migratory tendency will create unrest in your provinces (just like having the wrong religion). Settlements will always officially be "sedentary", but can be almost 100% migratory (a lot of unrest).

The core migration building (present in all provinces, and indestructible) will prevent the conversion towards sedentary belief. The negative value will not in itself do anything except prevent family members, neighbouring provinces, or buildings from having an effect before they reach positive values. The migratory belief is only spread if there are foreign agents (spies or assassins) present in the province.

The agents will automatically receive the trait that spreads migratory belief when they end their turn in foreign territory. This makes it very important to hunt down foreign agents, and in turn you can use your own agents both for counter espionage, killing other faction agents, or spreading unrest in other faction provinces. When agents enter friendly settlements they will receive a counter trait that removes the spreading of migratory belief (this makes it possible to use agents defensively).

The only effective way to counter the spread of migration, and turn it towards sedentary belief, is to improve farming, build certain monuments, or mass your family members in settlements.

Settlement economy and strategy:

Stratifying society by privileging your warrior class (building recruitment buildings) and centralising decision making (building higher government buildings) especially too quickly, may weaken your finances and turn some towards migration. Recruitment buildings will lower your tax base, and each higher tier settlement in your realm will increase the migratory pull faction-wide (make it harder to convert to sedentary in all your settlements).

Urban settlements are best encouraged where trade has high potential, otherwise they may in effect be a drain on the rural provinces and lead to a collapse of control. 3rd tier government buildings and up will lower public order faction-wide (though in the higher tier settlement itself you have a much higher potential for public order, recruitment, and economy).

Conquering a settlement will always result in damage to the government building and barracks; and these buildings will also be damaged in your larger settlements (2nd tier government building and up) if you have a garrison more than half the size of the population, without a governor present
    - however, when this happens your settlement's freemen population will be boosted as a result of the turmoil.

Smaller factions (3 settlements or less) will, in later stages of the game, receive financial support in the form of debt forgiveness and a cash boost, to help them recover and possibly return to compete with the larger ones.

All faction starting capitals will spawn garrisons if besieged for a full turn, as long as at least one named character is present in the settlement and the population is high enough.

Also, be aware that defeating a faction by taking their last settlement could trigger a horde, so it may be wise to let them carry on as your subjects instead.

Team:

- Dansk viking: Mod lead, mapping, coding, scripting, 3D modeling, skinning, unit cards, etc.
    - Joar: 2D art, UI content, ancillaries, text elements, advise, etc.

Others:

- The Arthurian: Total War team for allowing the project to start as a submod, using their base of units, and other stuff to work from.
    - The Roma Surrectum 3 team for their beautiful campaign and battle map environment.
    - Soundtrack by Krauka.
    - Art elements courtesy of Giovanni Caselli.
    - All the people, modders, guide-creators, etc. on TWCenter for support and inspiration throughout the years!
    Last edited by Dansk viking; January 26, 2024 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Updated patch 1.2 with normal fog of war
    Gesaga him éac wordum, þæt híe sint wilcuman Deniga léodum

BagaturSasha's Avatar Invictus
    Artifex

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scandza: Total War

Thanks for this mod! waiting the chance to play the full version!

Leader of the "Creative flame" studio.
    Author of the book "Legends of Moon Landscape"
    also author of the books "Fly", "Volcanorium" and other works too. Mostly specialized on fantasy.

https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?...r:BagaturSasha
    My Wiki page
    --

In previews look very, very cool the units and UI art made by Joar!
    Fall of the Republic & Rise of the Empire: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...FRRE-mod-links

Thanks! Yes, Joar's stuff is amazing as always.

Mod download has been available for about an hour now. Enjoy!

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Default Re: Scandza: Total War (Preview & Download)

Wow great job guys!
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Cheers!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Congratulations! Looks very good!

Thank you!

Please note that I've added some information about recommended settings: notably that the mod is balanced for Hard/Hard difficulty and Huge unit scale.

I released a very minor patch to fix an issue with the script.

Get it here:

ModDB

Dropbox

I just downloaded and tried it, its not bad but not fun either, I played it on recommended settings h/h. My warlords are weaker than my enemies, my enemy gets a new warlord with at least 45 guards every single turn if I wipe them out the turn before. I cant recruit enough or fast enough to be of any good and make terr. advances, all of my money goes into rebuilding after riots, Ive done nothing other than have low troops, I should be loved for the farmland and cesspools and places of worship I have spent most of my money on. Instead they riot continuously...long story short , game ended up with me quitting with no intentions of playing again, it just didn't hold any interest for me beyond being new and I wanted to try it.
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's a pity. It's meant to be hard, but not in the way you describe it.

I'm not sure what you mean by enemy "warlords" being stronger and them getting new ones with 45 soldiers every turn (the standard for general's bodyguard is 24, except for kings and heirs).

Why are you getting riots? Perhaps you have enemy spies in your territory spreading unrest (migratory belief)?

What faction, and how many turns/to what year did you play?

Indefinitely Banned

Wow!! The units look really cool.

Most of the credit for the units goes to the amazing guys who made Arthurian: Total War!

Dear Dansk viking, dear team,
    First, thank you very much for this mod which is just great. I have loved Arthurian TW (and still play it now and then) and this one is great. The idea of Migration as a religion is just great.
    I am playing as the Swedes and like every bit of it.
    I have however a question and a comment (personal view of course):
    - Question: in the Swedish brief, it is mentioned that Swede has access to better cav than the other factions. My impression battling against the others is that the units are all the same, cav included. Is there a difference? Is it the fact that I can train cav generals and maybe not the others?
    - Comment: I find rather difficult the fact that barracks are automatically damaged if no governor is in the city (to be honest, as very openly explained by Dansk viking in the release thread: « Conquering a settlement will always result in damage to the government building and barracks; and these buildings will also be damaged in your larger settlements (2nd tier government building and up) if you have a garrison more than half the size of the population, without a governor present. »). But for me these are damaged whatever the size of the garrison (and not « if you have a garrison more than half the size of the population »), and it’s even worse as the recurring cost of a general/governor is very/too high (650/750 per turn). I don’t really understand the underlying reason for having these buildings damaged, whatever the size of the garrison. And I would maybe suggest to reduce the cost per turn (without changing the recruitment cost) of a general/governor by 1/3rd to 50%.
    This said, thank you for this great mod!
    FFJean
    Last edited by FFJean; November 04, 2021 at 03:54 PM.

Thank you for the kind words!

That the Swedes have better horses than others is from Jordanes' description of them. The only impact on the actual starting position is that the Upper Swedes (Upp-Svíar) have a war horse resource in their capital which means they can train noble cavalry from the start and with only a regular stable (regions without that resource must have a warlord's stable).

Sounds like there's something wrong with the script on your end, that's concerning. I just tested it in my own game, and the building destruction only happened when I had more than ~1500 men in my ~3000 population tier 2 settlement, without a governor. Can you confirm the error in your game, perhaps upload a screenshot of the garrison and population?

The main reason for it initially was actually to make sure higher tier settlements do no have too low population. Besides destroying the buildings, the script also gives a small population boost to the settlement (besides the governor building malus to growth will be out of effect until repaired) - so it's a kind of trade off: you have to repair buildings and restore order, but you get some more "freemen population". The logic behind that is that when you have an ungoverned warband in a settlement, a lot of unrest (and probably assaults of various kinds...) will naturally occur, which will also mean some of the lower classes (thralls) will be able to become free from their masters etc.

The general/governor costs a lot, that's true, because of their retinue, but I think this makes sense since it would've been one of the biggest expenses of a warlord of this period: the gift-giving and awards for loyal followers. It also reflects how extremely effective these units are when in battle.

Cheers!

Dear Dansk viking,
    Thank you for your time. See attached the 2 pics, with population >1,000 and garrison at 400, so less than 50%.
    As governors are incredibly costly, it is difficult to pay for governors everywhere. Hence my suggestion to bring down their recurring cost from approx. 700 to 500.
    Thank you again,
    FFJean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SkTW.jpg   SkTW-2.jpg  

Joar's buildings' icons are simply stunning!

@FFJean - you don't seem to be short of cash, even with those expensive governors...
    Can you upload a save, it would be interesting to have a look.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; November 06, 2021 at 08:47 AM.

Dear Jurand,
    You are right, I am swimming in money . But this is not my point, it is that buildings are damaged despite the fact that the garrison is less than 50% the size of the town's population. And the other point is that I have the feeling that governors are too expensive, and indeed in 2 ways:
    1/ their direct cost per turn (659-750, depending on the exact type)
    2/ but also, and this for me is not great, because they impavct negatively the income of settlements they manage. All settlements have better income without a governor than with one. And by far (1,000-2,000).
    So yes, I am a slow builder, a turtle, you are right, I have real cash available. But that's my type of play, and I still do think that governors/generals are way too expensive - or at least they should develop more "good" skills/traits to better manage settlements than without them.
    Thank you to both Jurand and Dnask viking for your time, I am just trying to objectively help and positively criticise what is a great mod, which I am playing since it was released
    Yours,
    FFJean

Well, you may be right, but it depends on the devs' choice.
    In the SSHIP mod it depends on a governor's traits. Sometimes he lowers income (but provide a boost in public order and population growth)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

and sometimes he provides all three benefits (well, perhaps if you'd take into account costs of his unit, it's still a negative impact on growth):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; November 06, 2021 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJean View Post
    Dear Dansk viking,
    Thank you for your time. See attached the 2 pics, with population >1,000 and garrison at 400, so less than 50%.
    As governors are incredibly costly, it is difficult to pay for governors everywhere. Hence my suggestion to bring down their recurring cost from approx. 700 to 500.
    Thank you again,
    FFJean
    I see what's going on here. There are several scripts at work.

Firstly, the highest tier settlements lose 240 population without a governor present each turn (this may be a bit excessive, the tier below only loses 60). This is halved with a governor present.

Code:
    monitor_event SettlementTurnStart SettlementName Hólar
    and SettlementBuildingExists = proconsuls_palace
    and not GovernorInResidence
    console_command add_population Valbo -240
    end_monitor
    It means that your population falls below 800 each turn.

Then the script that destroys government and recruitment buildings kicks in (because your garrison is ~400). This script also adds population (as explained above), and for the highest tier settlement this is 240 pop.

Code:
    monitor_event SettlementTurnStart SettlementName Hólar
    and SettlementBuildingExists = proconsuls_palace
    and not GovernorInResidence
    and PercentageOfPopulationInGarrison > 50
    console_command set_building_health Valbo core_building 0
    console_command set_building_health Valbo barracks 0
    console_command set_building_health Valbo equestrian 0
    console_command set_building_health Valbo missiles 0
    console_command add_population Valbo 240
    end_monitor
    You don't need to have a governor everywhere, but in cases like this, it'd be a good idea. Generally in the highest tier settlements you may want one, especially if you're running low on population.

What you can do to get that particular settlement back is to send in some cheap units and disband them in the region, ~1000 or so should do it with the 7% growth you have. Then bring a governor, and you should be able to bring it back up to a sustainable level. (Or you can just park a governor there and ignore the population, you also won't need much more garrison there with a low population).

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Joar's buildings' icons are simply stunning!
    They are indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by FFJean View Post
    Dear Jurand,
    You are right, I am swimming in money . But this is not my point, it is that buildings are damaged despite the fact that the garrison is less than 50% the size of the town's population. And the other point is that I have the feeling that governors are too expensive, and indeed in 2 ways:
    1/ their direct cost per turn (659-750, depending on the exact type)
    2/ but also, and this for me is not great, because they impavct negatively the income of settlements they manage. All settlements have better income without a governor than with one. And by far (1,000-2,000).
    So yes, I am a slow builder, a turtle, you are right, I have real cash available. But that's my type of play, and I still do think that governors/generals are way too expensive - or at least they should develop more "good" skills/traits to better manage settlements than without them.
    Thank you to both Jurand and Dnask viking for your time, I am just trying to objectively help and positively criticise what is a great mod, which I am playing since it was released
    Yours,
    FFJean
    I think Jurand has a good point, that what you get in return (bonus population growth, public order, etc.) is enough to compensate the lose of income. It's like the buildings giving options (like recruitment) but possibly also lowering income. It's a cost benefit that you as player have to consider.

I'll see if anything need re-balancing in a future patch. For good reasons most of the testing has been looking at the first 30 or so years (120 turns) so it's not unlikely that some of the late game balance needs to be adjusted. I wonder how you like the anti-blobbing mechanics; do you feel that the mod is still interesting and challenging during late game?

I really appreciate your feedback, FFJean, and I'm impressed how many turns you've played thus far!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast