Thread: Need installation help

Default Need installation help

Hi

Im a tech noob and cant figure out how to correctly install SSHIP.
    I downloaded SSHIP test 0.98 version of 21.08.21 from the sticky post and extracted the files into the mods folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods).
    I ran the SS setup and made sure to choose the right settings. Now, i press the SSHIP launcher i get an error saying "cannot find M2TW or Kingdoms executable" and "SSHIP is probably installed into the wrong folder".
    Why am i getting this error?

Default Re: Need installation help

Go to the configuration file, I think its called cafg.
    You might have to change the file address in the top few lines.
    The notes in the file explain it

still getting the same error after doing that

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Don't run the SS setup - I think this kills everything.
    If this doesn't help, then write if you've run any other mod on your comp. If not, then installing in another folder may help, having to .exe files (kingdoms and medieval2) etc.

I ran the SS setup to tick off the correct settings like it says in the installation instructions on this site.
    I havent run any other mods besides SS 6.4, which works. I tried to extract SSHIP 0.98 version of 21.08.21 into the folder where M2TW and Kingdoms exe was located, but i still got an error when i pressed the SSHIP launcer.
    As far as i understand i only had to extract the SSHIP folder to play, yes? not running any installation exe?
    hope u can help

I believe that it's written "ready to play". I'll update the thread with a warning that it means to run the launcher, not the setup.
    If the SS6.4 worked, then the SSHIP will work as well.

so you want me to install M2TW kingdoms (I have it on steam), then install SS 6.4 but not run the setup, then download SSHIP test 0.98 version of 21.08.21 and extract the files into (in my case) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods, and then press the SSHIP launcher?

no, just unload the SSHIP and run the launcher.bat
    the base SS6.4 is now already included (and many unnecessary files were deleted, so the size of the SSHIP is smaller)

So, I uninstalled M2TW and deleted all the files. I then downloaded M2TW again and reinstalled it. I then unpacked SSHIP into the mods folder and clicked the launcher but end up with the same error: "You probably installed SSHIP into the wrong folder". I tried moving SSHIP into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War but still not working. It did however change the loading screen when i tried to click the medieval2 exe but when I tried to start a campaign i got crashed to desktop.

Edit: i would very much appreciate if some1 could spell out the installation process from start to finish

Thanks, got it to work. I had to mask SSHIP as one of the original Kingdom mods. So i deleted the crusades files and put the SSHIP ones into that folder and then launched the crusades from steam - success

Quote Originally Posted by Larsel View Post
    Thanks, got it to work. I had to mask SSHIP as one of the original Kingdom mods. So i deleted the crusades files and put the SSHIP ones into that folder and then launched the crusades from steam - success
    Yeah, this is one of the ways to do it.
    Another is to make a shortcut of the .bat file and put it on your desktop or elsewhere (we've provided an icon of a silver grosch to make it look nice)

I did that first but it did not work

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Another solution is to create an SSHIP_098 folder before putting the mod items in it. The launcher shortcut is configured to go through SSHIP_098 by default, if memory serves.

That's right @kostic, by default the SSHIP 0.98 auncher will look for a folder named /Medieval II Total War/mods/SSHIP_098 `

If you change the mod's folder name, you have to reflect that change on the launcher.bat and the config.cfg

And Jurand is right: if you run the SS setup after installing SSHIP, it wil erase some changes we made and the mod won't launch. In the SSHIP 0.98 version there is no need to use the SS setup, everything is already configured.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats