Thread: Buildings destroyed in Campaign

Default Buildings destroyed in Campaign

I was thinking about this.... many of the AI faults are due to the fact, that many buildings are either destroyed or damaged after conquering a region. This is responsible for the poor AI performance regarding unit training, since no strong units are avaiable, it will train a lot of paesants and basic militiamen. Is there any way to prevent building destruction when conquering a region, or is it hardcoded into the game?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Buildings destroyed in Campaign

It's hard coded into the game, but total destruction is relatively rare - I think it only happens during long sieges or when the besieger fields siege engines.

Edit: that's actually from my Med2 experience, didn't realize this was Med1 so it might not be accurate.

randy_cat , destruction of buildings when capturing provinces/castles is hardcoded, but there is an opportunity to influence it.

1. If a faction cannot build some buildings (for example because of the wrong culture) then they will definitely be destroyed during the capture of the province.

2. It is possible to prevent the destruction of the rest buildings. To do this, you will need to edit the building stats file (for standard campaigns, this is "CRUSADER_BUILD_PROD13.txt"). Some buildings are already meets the conditions due to which they are not destroyed, for example : "IMPROVED_FARMLAND", "CATHEDRAL", "GRAND_MOSQUE", "COPPER_MINE" and other buildings for resource extraction. A building with the Localised name "Forest Clearing" ("IMPROVED_FARMLAND" in "VIKINGS_BUILD_PROD.txt ") also does not collapse.

There are two possibilities :

a) Enter the value < -1 or > 1 in the "Income generated by this building" field. You need to specify for each level of the building upgrade. I think this is the best option without "side effects".
    b) Add the type "FARM_INCOME" or "LEV1_INCOME" for buildings. The "side effect" is that governors and faction leaders will receive the virtues of "Steward" and "Trader" faster as there will be more such buildings. "Trader" is obtained from the construction of buildings containing the type "LEV1_INCOME" and this is a small bug as I understand it.

3. If the Viking faction captures the castle (more precisely, the faction declared as "FN_07" and having a religion REL_PAGAN). then only buildings with the Localised name "Forest Clearing" cannot be destroyed, as well as those with the 'frontline' property set to "YES" (in the standard campaign only has "WATCH_TOWERS" set the value is "YES", but can be changed for any building).

Well, thanks for the answer, anyway i kinda fixed it by doing as follows: reduced the building requirements for units ( ex: feudal knights require just a castle to be recruitable ), added many new low tier units, increased the training priority for valuable units ( meaning, the ai is more likely to train better units )

I will add something about the destruction/damage of buildings.

In essence, destruction and damage are the same thing - the upgrade level of the building is simply reduced by 1. If the building has a minimum upgrade level, then it disappears and this is considered destruction. The check is done separately for each building in the province using random, the chance of destruction/damage depends on the level of the castle upgrade, it is higher for the Player than for the AI. For each building, the faction receives 50% of the cost in the form of pillage. Buildings inaccessible for construction by the faction are always destroyed to the ground, buildings with certain properties are skipped (but only if the faction can build them), I wrote about this earlier.

1. If a province/castle is captured by a Player and a castle of the 0th (base) level is built, then the chance is 89%, and decreases by 20% for every 3 upgrade levels, i.e. 0 (Fort), 1, 2 = 89%; 3, 4, 5 = 69%; ...12, 13, 14 = 9%; 15( the maximum level in the vanilla version) = 0%.

2. If the province/castle was captured by an AI faction and a level 0 castle was built, then the chance is 79% and decreases by 40% for every 3 upgrade levels, i.e. 0, 1, 2 = 79%; 3, 4, 5 = 39%; 6 and above = 0%.

3. If the castle has fallen as a result of a siege, then two passes are made to check the possibilities of destruction/damage.

4. There are some differences for the Viking faction (the faction with the name FN_07 and with the religion REL_PAGAN).

a) If there is a castle, then it can be damaged/destroyed with the same chances as the usual factions, but all other buildings will necessarily be completely destroyed to the ground except for some of which I mentioned earlier.

b) If a province is captured in which there is no castle, the buildings are destroyed anyway (this does not happen for other factions).

c) The faction can receive additional income from pillage, which depends on the size of the province's farm income. If there is no castle in the province or the castle is taken by storm, then the entire amount of pillage is doubled.