Thread: Editing descr_strat makes campaign inaccessible?

Laetus

Default Editing descr_strat makes campaign inaccessible?

I've just upgraded to the latest release after struggling to find the time to play for several months. I often make minor alterations to files such as descr_strat and last night tried to add an academy to Roma, I get a little tired of my youngest character picking up unschooled traits before I have even had the time to build basic education buildings. However, this time around, when choosing the imperial campaign option on the single player menu, the game is unable to progress further. Is there some quirk of EB2 in particular that prevents the descr_strat file being altered? I seem to remember having a similar issue with EB2 files in the past, but as have always managed to make such alterations when using other mods.

Thanks guys, and thanks again to the team for producing such an incredible mod!

Default Re: Editing descr_strat makes campaign inaccessible?

Did you insert this into the part of the descr_strat where the list of buildings in Latium are located?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    building    
    {
    type academic academy
    }

Tried it in my build and it worked fine.

Hope this is of use to you
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Delete the map.rwm file after you edit the descr_strat file.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Delete the map.rwm file after you edit the descr_strat file.
    Not really required for changes in descr_strat. I am assuming that 'the game is unable to progress further' comment means it is a crash to menu - which always is an issue with the descr_strat file. Very likely a format issue as realm56 implies, like omitting the closing bracket because there is already the one for the whole settlement section.

Laetus

I'm fairly certain I edited it in the way realm56 suggested, I actually had a couple of attempts. I'll double check this evening. Unfortunately I'm out at the moment and can't remember exactly what message popped u when I tried 5o select the campaign, but I'll share it later if the issue persists. Good to know it's an issue with me and not some built in difficulty with the mod.

Cheers again guys.

Blog Entries

Best to post the whole settlement section here, wrap it in code tags to preserve formatting. Or attach the whole file and specify the settlement name as it appears in the file.

Laetus

Cheers Gigantus, will do. Its not a big deal if I can't get it to work, I'd just like to know what I'm doing wrong as it probably won't be the last thing I end up tweaking. Although I have found EB2 to be the mod I tweak the least, being so great to start with.

Blog Entries

I trust you keep back up copies for cases like this?

Laetus

Sure do. I also keep a "log" of any changes I make. I intend to playthrough a couple of campaigns without making any file alterations, to help with bug spotting, but I'm listening to a History of ancient Rome podcast and couldn't help but start yet another Roman campaign.