Thread: Shadow wars

Default Shadow wars

I have happened upon a rather compelling strategy and I was wondering if anyone else had tried it so far? Baktria had come back from the brink of destruction to reclaim most of its last territory from the Saka after I invaded Oskobara and drove Saka out of the plateau. While the Baktrian distraction had made the Saka invasion relatively painless, the far greater threat being public order concerns in the acquired territories, it also created a dilemma. How did I reclaim the Baktrian territory without declaring war? My king at the time is an obese and fabulously wealthy man who hadn't fought a single battle in his life. He had just made peace with Hayastan and I didn't feel like launching another war against Baktria was something he would want to do. The solution? An army of assassins assisted by a company of spies. With the spies assistance I was able to target the public order buildings of the desired territories and drive them into rebellion. As soon as the rebellion fired I swooped in with my prince and elite army to claim the new territories for Seleucia. With this strategy I captured three cities within a handful of turns without declaring war and only a single veteran army. Since they were Baktrian territories my public order concerns were minimal.

Anyways, I assume this strategy was well known by now but I just wanted to share my experiences. The ability to protect my nations reputation while also pursuing expansion without an open declaration of war was a welcome one and felt very fitting with my current ruler.

Default Re: Shadow wars

Quote Originally Posted by Shlazaor View Post
    I have happened upon a rather compelling strategy and I was wondering if anyone else had tried it so far? Baktria had come back from the brink of destruction to reclaim most of its last territory from the Saka after I invaded Oskobara and drove Saka out of the plateau. While the Baktrian distraction had made the Saka invasion relatively painless, the far greater threat being public order concerns in the acquired territories, it also created a dilemma. How did I reclaim the Baktrian territory without declaring war? My king at the time is an obese and fabulously wealthy man who hadn't fought a single battle in his life. He had just made peace with Hayastan and I didn't feel like launching another war against Baktria was something he would want to do. The solution? An army of assassins assisted by a company of spies. With the spies assistance I was able to target the public order buildings of the desired territories and drive them into rebellion. As soon as the rebellion fired I swooped in with my prince and elite army to claim the new territories for Seleucia. With this strategy I captured three cities within a handful of turns without declaring war and only a single veteran army. Since they were Baktrian territories my public order concerns were minimal.

Anyways, I assume this strategy was well known by now but I just wanted to share my experiences. The ability to protect my nations reputation while also pursuing expansion without an open declaration of war was a welcome one and felt very fitting with my current ruler.
    Yes! I do it every time I need a key province but am not willing to risk open war. Although this tactic will backfire if the opposing settlement has a governer who hates outsiders or somehow has an opposing spy working in counterespionage duties...
    Last edited by realm56; October 15, 2021 at 10:17 PM.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

This is a great strategy for several factions, although it's less potent than in EB1. Parthia in particular benefits from using spies to destabilize AS regions until they rebel. I've actually managed to conquer all the required territories for the Parthian reforms using esponiage.

Quote Originally Posted by romulus_aeneas View Post
    This is a great strategy for several factions, although it's less potent than in EB1. Parthia in particular benefits from using spies to destabilize AS regions until they rebel. I've actually managed to conquer all the required territories for the Parthian reforms using esponiage.
    The funny thing here is that Parthia, unlike every other faction in the game starts off with not just one, not even two but three spies! This is the game practically telling you to destablize said regions until they rebel .
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

This is a great way to nibble away at mega-empires like the Seleucids Always nabbing those border regions, nom nom.