Thread: Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2020-2021 - Nominations Thread!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2020-2021 - Nominations Thread!

Welcome to our eighth Yearly Awards competition!

You're all invited to nominate your favourite writing or to submit something new you've written.

For AAR of the Year and Creative Writing of the Year, only writing posted on TWC between 1 October 2020 and 30 September 2021 can be nominated.
    This year we're introducing a new category, for pieces written specially for this competition - read on to learn more!

In this competition, we recognise and reward the greatest writers among us this year – both Creative Writers and AARtists!

This year's categories are:

AAR of the Year
    For – what else? – the best AAR!
    You may nominate any AAR that received an update between 1 October 2020 and 30 September 2021.

CW of the Year
    For - naturally! - the best Creative Writing!
    You may nominate any piece of Creative Writing that received an update between 1 October 2020 and 30 September 2021.

Tale of the Year
    Any member of TWC may enter a piece of their own writing to compete in our new Tale of the Year category!
    Details of rules and how to submit your writing are in the next post of this thread - please read the details before submitting your work!

Please read the rules, in the next post, before making any nominations or submissions.

Default Re: Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2020-2021 - Nominations Thread!

RULES

Each category has eligibility criteria, in the post above. There are some other rules:

Nominations and submissions are welcome from now until 11:59pm GMT+0, 14th November 2021. After this, there will be a two week voting period.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The nomination period has been extended; nominations and submissions will be accepted until 11.59pm GMT +0, 28th November 2021. There will then be a two-week voting period.

Part One: AAR of the Year and Creative Writing of the Year
    Nominations for AAR of the Year and Creative Writing of the Year are to be made in this thread
    Nope, that's not a link. Post your nominations in this thread that you're reading right now please!

No self-nomination
    You cannot nominate yourself or your own work for AAR of the Year or Creative Writing of the Year.

Maximum of three nominations per category
    You can only nominate a maximum of three nominees for a category. Any more than three nominations and only the first three will be counted.

You do not need to make nominations in every category
    You may make a nomination (or nominations) in only one category, if you wish. Or you may make nominations in both categories. It’s entirely up to you!

When making a nomination, please give as much information as possible
    Please make sure you say which category you are nominating a person or piece of work for.

Please give the title of the piece, AND the name of the author.

If you are struggling to remember the exact details of the member or piece of work you wish to nominate, please nominate them anyway, with as much information as you have. If WS staff cannot easily identify the person or work you are nominating, they may ask you for more details. If they still can’t identify your nomination, they may decide not to include it in the competition.

To make your nominations, please copy and paste the following into this thread, with your nominations for each category:

AARotY:

CWotY:

For example:

AAROTY: Story A by Member 1, Story B by Member 2, Story C by Member 3

Part Two: Tale of the Year
    Submissions for Tale of the Year should be sent by PM to the competition manager
    Please include "Tale of the Year" in the title of your PM - and please make sure it's obvious which parts of your PM are part of your submission and which parts are not. (I'm going to ignore "Hi" at the start of the PM unless you tell me it's part of your entry!)

Each person may submit only one entry to Tale of the Year

Your entry may be about anything and may be written in any style, but it must be a new piece of writing created for this competition
    You can write an AAR, a short story, a poem, a non-fiction piece - anything you like... provided it doesn't break TWC's Terms of Service!

Your submission must have between 200 and 750 words
    Each entry must have a minimum of 200 words. The title counts towards this minimum, but footnotes, explanatory notes, and other supplementary texts do not. The submission must also have a maximum of 750 words INCLUDING all titles, footnotes etc. Please note that different word-counters can give different results. This is the word-counter used by WS Staff to check your entries, and this is the one we will rely on when deciding whether a submission qualifies for the competition.

Part Three: general rules
    Each member may only win one award
    If a member wins more than one award, they will be given the chance to choose which award they wish to receive. This applies to second and third place awards as well as first place awards. The other(s) will be awarded to the runner(s)-up.

‘Honour’ system
    We are running this competition on the ‘honour’ system. If you notice that you have been nominated for an award you do not qualify for, please notify the WS staff.
    Likewise, if you notice someone else has been nominated for an award they don’t qualify for, please notify the WS staff.

If, at any stage, the WS staff discover that a nominee for or winner of any award does not qualify to be entered in that category, the WS staff reserve the right to disqualify them. If voting has not yet begun, the disqualified nominee will simply not be entered in the competition. If voting has already begun, and the disqualified nominee obtains enough votes to win an award, that award will be given to the person with the next highest number of votes.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the chat thread or PM any member of WS staff. Have fun writing and nominating!

We are very grateful to all (Scottish King, Hitai de Bodemloze, m_1512, Radzeer and Dance) who began the Writers’ Study Yearly Awards in 2014 and to Joar for designing the artwork.
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; November 18, 2021 at 08:35 AM.

I could dig through the fora and find every worthy candidate (of which there are many), but as my time is in short supply of late, I will limit myself to nominating just those things which have really stuck in my mind. I hope any oversights or missed gems will be forgiven!

Nominations

AARotY: Osaka, by Hitai de Bodemloze; House de Villaret, by Tigellinus; Derc Plays Through World History, by Derc

CWotY: A Painted Shield of Honor, by Basileos Leandros I; Honor and Bravery, by Flinn

P.s. Apologies to all of the great AAR writers out there I could not include here. Cookiegod, Turkafinwe, Morticia, and many others have works I wanted to include as well. Alas, that is why we have hard limits for nominations, so that choices must be made.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Here are some more Yearly Awards nominations:

Nominations AARotY: Written in Sand by Kilo11; To earn a Kingdom by Turkafinwë; Toutatis Favours the Brave by Welsh Dragon

CWotY: A Painted Shield of Honour by Basileas Leandros I; Scorched Earth by Kyriakos; The Spear of Achilles by Shoebopp

Like Kilo11, I'm thinking about the other writers who deserve to have their work recognised too - as well as the writers who Kilo11 mentioned, I'm thinking of Oga, zachman1201 and Leminh (Rome II AAR creators), Mercenary2479 (in our Thrones of Britannia forum) and Fahnat, Drtad and others (in our Medieval II area) and Justinian Australis, Napoleon Complex and McScottish (in our Eras section). It would be great to see more nominations.
    Last edited by Alwyn; October 30, 2021 at 08:44 AM.

Please note that the second post in this thread has been updated. Nominations and submissions will now be accepted until midnight (GMT) on 28th November 2021.

I'm late (again), but here are a few extra nominations. (I'm short of time, so I'm confining myself to AARs in order to be able to nominate anything. Apologies to our Creative Writers.)

AARotY: New Town by Alwyn; The White Horse by Scottish King; Dragon Break by Christonikos