Thread: China Detains Journalist For Daring To Question Official Truth

Default China Detains Journalist For Daring To Question Official Truth

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...role-in-korean

Former Chinese journalist Luo Changping was detained by police in the country Thursday after critiquing China's role in the Korean War and its depiction in a blockbuster film on social media.
    Luo's commentary was in reaction to a state-sponsored film, "The Battle at Lake Changjin," that portrays an American loss in the Battle of Chosin Reservoir, The New York Times reported.
    According to the Times, Luo took to the social media platform Weibo, China's version of Twitter, and questioned the legal justification of China's intervention when North Korean troops invaded South Korea. At the time, northern troops were close to defeat.
    In the battle, United Nations forces were forced to withdraw from North Korea by Chinese forces.
    "Half a century later, few Chinese people have reflected on the justifiability of the war,” the journalist wrote, according to the Times. Luo then commented on a specific Chinese military unit in the film, saying they "did not doubt the 'wise decision' of the top."
    Luo's arrest was propagated on state media and China's main television network, CCTV.
    The country's government has been known to monitor social media platforms used in China, taking posts down that appear critical of leaders and the Chinese Communist Party. The Times reported that the government sought to make an example out of Luo, who was forced out of the journalism industry in 2014.
    With how much the Chinese ruling class work to keep their slaves ignorant of history and the outside world, can China really be considered anything but a backwards medieval society using industrial espionage and the proceeds of crime to maintain the illusion of modernity? Could China ever really be seen as a modern nation-state instead of a massive concentration camp like it's smaller clone North Korea?

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Default Re: China Detains Journalist For Daring To Question Official Truth

What are we debating here?

That the Chinese government is unpleasant? Does anyone here not currently banned disagree with this?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

not currently banned
    Nice touch

---

Hat's off to a brave man he must have known the hammer would drop.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

It is quite concerning, especially given how Biden administration and Canadian federal government is full of CCP assets, which also applies to many other Commonwealth nations, whose governments are polluted by CCP influence.
    It does seem that while being abhorrent, China still has upper hand over no-longer-free world.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    It is quite concerning, especially given how Biden administration and Canadian federal government is full of CCP assets, which also applies to many other Commonwealth nations, whose governments are polluted by CCP influence.
    It does seem that while being abhorrent, China still has upper hand over no-longer-free world.
    Seems to me that currently in my commonwealth country of residence, there is an article in every newspaper, across the spectrum from liberal to conservative casting shade on the CCP. The political narrative here seems to be a competition over who can sling the most mud across the Pacific towards Beijing. It has the distinct feeling that my society is being primed.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it has always been that way. Certainly Australian society is very good at finding an other to rally against. Makes it much easier to manipulate. The CCP are currently this other. Makes a nice change from the other being refugees fleeing for their lives. At least the CCP actually does nasty things.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Sounds similar.

I still remember the war propaganda about Iraqis throwing newborn at the wall in Kuwait.

I have a sound scepticism against news from the Anglosphere about the actual arch enemy.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; October 11, 2021 at 02:37 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

So they spent $200 million to make what looks to be the Sharknado of war movies?

Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    So they spent $200 million to make what looks to be the Sharknado of war movies?
    I'm not entirely sure how else you could show the firing squad that human wave attacks end up being and make them look even half way heroic, rather than the mass stupidity that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how else you could show the firing squad that human wave attacks end up being and make them look even half way heroic, rather than the mass stupidity that they are.
    You have to understand that, traditionally, the Chinese ruling class has seen the lives of it's people as worth less than nothing. So it made perfect sense to them to send waves of unarmed, nearly naked men at American positions rather than waste money on guns and bullets. Were war to break out today, I don't think it would take long before China resorted to these same tactics once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Sounds similar.

I still remember the war propaganda about Iraqis throwing newborn at the wall in Kuwait.

I have a sound scepticism against news from the Anglosphere about the actual arch enemy.
    That was Kuwaiti propaganda, and the story was initially corroborated by Reuters and Amnesty International. It wasn't particular to the Anglosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Still gladly used by Cheney Administration in best Hearst press "Huns" style to demonize the opponent.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    You have to understand that, traditionally, the Chinese ruling class has seen the lives of it's people as worth less than nothing. So it made perfect sense to them to send waves of unarmed, nearly naked men at American positions rather than waste money on guns and bullets. Were war to break out today, I don't think it would take long before China resorted to these same tactics once again.
    Human wave tactics seem to be more of a communist/leftist thing then Chinese tactics, also highlighted part is a genuinely racist assertion, given how we are talking about nation that had universally recognized fundamental works of military theory/strategy written millennia ago, while Mao's government openly rejected Chinese nationhood and history at the time. Needless to say, Chinese regime itself realized that masochistic neomarxist self-hatred can only take them so far, hence why while Beijing props up self-hating cosmopolitans in the Western nations, domestically anti-nationalist narratives are heavily suppressed.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Sounds similar.

Still gladly used by Cheney Administration in best Hearst press "Huns" style to demonize the opponent.
    Apologism for a genocidal regime with one of, if not the, highest kill counts on civilians (mostly its own) in history? A strong contendor for worst regime in human history alongside the Nazis? I'd be surprised if I wasn't so digusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Human wave tactics seem to be more of a communist/leftist thing then Chinese tactics,
    They're combination of ideology devaluing individual lives, plentiful manpower but lacking war material production. Communism is, in practice, prime example of such ideology, but China does have much longer tradition of cultural imperative that doesn't value lives of most people (short of the nobility, of course), in order of magnitude greater than what was going on in most of the world.