Thread: Europe in the winter time?

Indefinitely Banned

Icon5 Europe in the winter time?

For all of you Europeans here, what do you think of travel on the continent in January or February? I’m looking at Switzerland, Italy and Croatia and maybe France.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Europe in the winter time?

I'd pick late Spring in any case, it's always the best period.

Mid Winter you can have a lot of snow at times (especially in Switzerland) and while it's a nice sight, it can also be an annoyance if you are traveling around. Significant rains can happen too. Really, if you want to enjoy the trip, pick late Spring.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Flinn's no doubt right, though it may depend what your alternatives are. Weather wise, for instance, I might pick winter rains over searing summer heat in countries like Spain, Italy and Greece. However, if you do go in winter, do make sure beforehand that the places you want to visit are actually open to the public. I do recall some museums and archaeological sites being closed outside the tourist season.

A place I would definitely recommend visiting in winter over any other season is Norway. Great place to go cross-country skiing if that is your thing.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEOFKINGWARMAN88 View Post
    For all of you Europeans here, what do you think of travel on the continent in January or February? I’m looking at Switzerland, Italy and Croatia and maybe France.
    If you're lucky there is snow and you can go skiing. If you're unlucky there used to be snow but since then we've had warm rain which melted the snow into an ungodly mixture of mud and snow that likes to pretend that it has solid ground underneath only to surprise you with an ankle deep muddy cold puddle when you step on it.

January and February are generally bad times to visit Europe because everything worth visiting is kind of closed. Not to mention that 'rona loves the cold.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; October 07, 2021 at 07:03 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I'd pick late Spring in any case, it's always the best period.

Mid Winter you can have a lot of snow at times (especially in Switzerland) and while it's a nice sight, it can also be an annoyance if you are traveling around. Significant rains can happen too. Really, if you want to enjoy the trip, pick late Spring.
    It actually depends. In Scandinavian winter you have hygge and the snow is less cold than icy pouring rain coming at you sideways with high velocity. In Eastern Europe the roads turn to mud during spring and autumn, so winter isn't actually that bad a time for an offensive.

The alps are really nice all year round, so no worries there, except of course driving the serpentines in the winter if you don't know how to drive, and you can try out what I did and get stuck downhill for the night because you forgot to bring chains when visiting friends and the road is only going to get cleared in the morning. Don't try to drive like the locals, they are like mountain goats with lifetime experience and you only see the successful ones. The crosses at the side of the roads aren't for auto-aim.

In Italy meanwhile do like the Italians unless you're in the south (bastardi!), most locals there know which radars work and which don't (from my recent experience: None of them do. For maximum safety, take the speed limit, multiply it by two so that the car behind you doesn't bump into you).

Also come to think of it, if you're not going to the alps for skiing during the winter, just don't go, as the mountains will be packed and so will all the roads and the tunnels. You don't want your lifetime memory of Switzerland to be the Gotthard from the inside for hours. If you have a car and want to cross the alps on a winter sunday, I recommend parking your car and walking to save time.

Venice on the other hand might be the other way round, since the city will be relatively empty compared to otherwise.

I've never been to Croatia during the winter, so no idea there.
    Last edited by Cookiegod; October 08, 2021 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Blog Entries

I don't suggest to drive in Southern Italy at all
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

and maybe France.
    I cannot think of any season that I could recommend for traveling in France.

Blog Entries

This is mean, but deserved ...

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    If it wasn’t to visit a pen pal and just to say I was in Paris I probably pass on it.

Why not have the best of both worlds . 3rd of January I leave for Hamburg, Germany on a transatlantic cruise. Late March sometime I fly back for a late birthday gift from me to me .

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Spring of 1940 was nice.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    A place I would definitely recommend visiting in winter over any other season is Norway. Great place to go cross-country skiing if that is your thing.
    Shhhhh! Finland is best for cross country skiing - in winter everyone just do it on my commute route and I always feel like an idiot struggling to walk on deep snow

Norway is for downhill skiing? Or you can jump over cliff and fly - here the parachuting clubs close in winter though

Indefinitely Banned

Spring of 1940 was nice.
    That's just cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Shhhhh! Finland is best for cross country skiing - in winter everyone just do it on my commute route and I always feel like an idiot struggling to walk on deep snow

Norway is for downhill skiing? Or you can jump over cliff and fly - here the parachuting clubs close in winter though

I always wanted to visit Norway. Do you still live in Finland Sir AqD?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I haven't visited norway yet! Finland is mostly flat while norway is mountainy. You should visit both! (and I might too, next year)

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    I haven't visited norway yet! Finland is mostly flat while norway is mountainy. You should visit both! (and I might too, next year)

I will try! Norway always has been on my radar so I’ll like to visit at some point.

Has anyone been to Slovakia before and if so how did you like it?

Blog Entries

only once like 8 years ago because of business; pretty much similar to any other eastern Europe country at the time, nothing bad to say but I was there for half a day only

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

I will try! Norway always has been on my radar so I’ll like to visit at some point.

Bratislava is nice, didn't visit anything else though.

Rhinelander's Avatar Domesticus

I was in Budapest and Kyiv this December. Even though I had a great tinem I would have prefered to go there in times when there are warmer temperatures.

I've always said that the best travel "hack" is not minding wearing a sweater when you travel. All travel expenses in Europe are cheaper during the winter (planes, hotels, shopping if you're into that), the more tourist-y locales are far less crowded, and you get to see a side of the continent overlooked by most foreigners. As a baller on a budget, I plan all my big trips over the winter!

Example: Florence in the summer is a hot, tourist hellhole. It's only in the winter months that it becomes the soft and beautiful Renaissance city that you imagine it should be.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I don't know about other places but over here most prices double come December. If you want to travel cheap the best time to do it is outside of season, meaning end of february - may and September - late November. In season everything is a lot more expensive.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Caeser67 View Post
    I've always said that the best travel "hack" is not minding wearing a sweater when you travel. All travel expenses in Europe are cheaper during the winter (planes, hotels, shopping if you're into that), the more tourist-y locales are far less crowded, and you get to see a side of the continent overlooked by most foreigners. As a baller on a budget, I plan all my big trips over the winter!
    Good advice and welcome to TWC! In Northern Europe there is a lot ski tourism in the winter, and if you are vacationing there, make sure to check when schools have winter vacations (if any). If you travel during those times, every place is overpriced and packed.

If I travel anywhere southern and warm (and want it that way), I usually try to have my vacation before or after the season and the hottest time. For example around May and October. The downside is that the nights may be cold in many locations during those times.