Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House of the Dragon. Game of Thrones..

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default House of the Dragon. Game of Thrones..

Is it still possible to get hyped for this?.

After the abortion of GoT8, it's understandable a lot of people will give this a miss. I think that would be a mistake. D&D are not connected and the budget is huge.
    The story is also completed (in the books) so there shouldn't be too much 'making it up as we go.' There's also no rush, so hopefully all coffee cups and water bottles will be removed in post....
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; October 06, 2021 at 06:09 AM.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: House of the Dragon. Game of Thrones..

Is there a German word for the feeling that you would have been incredibly excited for something had it not already betrayed you but instead you're entirely apathetic to the thing you once cared deeply about?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

Probalby, them lads love a catchphrase.

This is not that, this is something new and shiney and different with more Dragons (maybe as many as 17 dragons)...

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm gonna watch the hell out of the show. I just can't bring myself to get excited or expect anything less than absolute mediocrity after the travesty that was the ending of GOT. At the very least GRRM is working on this project, but I'd rather just have him finish the ing books than work on this honestly.

Definitely gonna watch it but not hyped, keeping my expectations low.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Is there a German word for the feeling that you would have been incredibly excited for something had it not already betrayed you but instead you're entirely apathetic to the thing you once cared deeply about?
    Massenwirkung

Okay I did a lot of reading regarding this and watched a bunch of official promo content. This definitely has some serious potential and feels like it will be way better than D&D garbage (S7-8). But I won't say more as I might jinx it.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

D&D garbage (S7-8)
    Still perplexed at that not sure thay when such compression and not more seasons. Does HBO provide a hard core budget cap or something because I could see the same happening here.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Still perplexed at that not sure thay when such compression and not more seasons. Does HBO provide a hard core budget cap or something because I could see the same happening here.
    Budget constraints are usually applied but I did read that HBO was down with more budget and was okay for 10-12 Seasons like GRRM wanted but D&D wanted to end it quickly for a bigger cash grab from Disney\Star Wars.
    But S8 was met with immense criticism and then suddenly D&D decided to "quit" on star wars. Not sure what happened in the background but glad.

Blog Entries

D&D jumped off Star Wars for that Netflix money. The chance to write/produce their own shows was obviously a big draw.

The real tragedy is HBO dumped Rome for GoT because they couldn't provide the budget for both. Rome was supposed to run for 7 seasons and was coming in at $1m per episode. GoT started around the same and rose to $15m per episode for season 8. HotD is reported to start at $10mper episode for the first season.

Rome will remain an impeccable show in TV history imo. English isn't my native language nor do I claim to have knowledge of Roman history but that show was just amazing. Even side characters drawing dicks on walls in that show gave stellar performance. I was gutted to see Rome being cancelled. It had so much potential. Where Octavian got in power is the highlights, it would've been glorious beyond that but alas.

HOTD can become a success, HBO knows there's already a solid fanbase now and with great writing it can be done. I mean Rome barely had any grand battles or field tactics but still felt epic in everyway. No need to blow the budget on heavy CGI and other BS. Focus on the story, characters & thrill\intrigue and a home run can be achieved with this.
    Last edited by Ishan; October 13, 2021 at 03:39 PM.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Budget constraints are usually applied but I did read that HBO was down with more budget and was okay for 10-12 Seasons like GRRM wanted but D&D wanted to end it quickly for a bigger cash grab from Disney\Star Wars.
    But S8 was met with immense criticism and then suddenly D&D decided to "quit" on star wars. Not sure what happened in the background but glad.
    Seems like a poor choice to basically kinda screw your legacy with GOT over for a cash grab. With 12 seasons they could have avoided a lot the downsides of the last two seasons and everything feeling slapdash and let's get this over with.

Also I do believe actual fans of the game of D&D would prefer you use Benioff and Weiss... I admit I don't game too often right now but I was pretty perplexed the D&D usage.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

My main gripe was obviously the ending and the way Benioff and Weiss butchered Stannis, especially, the Shireen Baratheon part.

Anyways, in relevant HotD news it seems The Last Kingdom actor Ewan Mitchell has joined the band:
    https://winteriscoming.net/2021/10/1...of-the-dragon/

Also it seems there's an explaination for the change in Iron Throne:

In the Game of Thrones season 2 premiere, Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) explains how kings change the throne room when they take over. In the season 2 episode, Cersei (Lena Headey) enters the Great Hall and sees Joffrey directing others to redecorate. After she asks what's going on, he says he's returning the room to its proper appearance. "That is a seat for a conqueror. It needs a room to match it, not vines and flowers." Joffrey's line explains everything fans need to know about the Iron Throne change in House of the Dragon. Kings have their own preferences. In fact, his predecessor, King Robert (Mark Addy), may have played a large part in the Iron Throne's change. After all, King Robert had the Targaryen dragon skulls removed from the Great Hall. So it's not a stretch to assume he had some swords removed too.

Besides a king's preference, there's also another reason at play. House of the Dragon takes place 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones. Because of that, it's understandable that the Iron Throne changed over time. With different Targaryen kings coming in and out and various members of court spreading their influence
    https://screenrant.com/house-dragon-...ones-season-2/

My main gripe was obviously the ending and the way Benioff and Weiss butchered Stannis, especially, the Shireen Baratheon part.
    Could have had a lot less teleporting. Arya could have had sufficient time to gains skills and have a more feeling like her leaving the Faceless man was not a one day spitball meeting plan. Sansa given more time to mature. Mother of Dragons could have had a more time to descend into madness etc etc. Hell even if the actors needed time or the show wait out a year that would worked as well.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Could have had a lot less teleporting. Arya could have had sufficient time to gains skills and have a more feeling like her leaving the Faceless man was not a one day spitball meeting plan. Sansa given more time to mature. Mother of Dragons could have had a more time to descend into madness etc etc. Hell even if the actors needed time or the show wait out a year that would worked as well.
    Agreed on all account and I can whinge for 2 pages but then Sir Halie, being OP, would slap me. I guess Lady Mormont was the only one carrying the banner in S8 till her last breath.

Main characters of HotD from what I googled:
    The other major House of the Dragon cast members are:

- Olivia Cooke as Alicent Hightower, who is "the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the most comely woman in the Seven Kingdoms. She was raised in the Red Keep, close to the king and his innermost circle; she possesses both a courtly grace and a keen political acumen."

Cooke told Metro.UK that Alicent is "very different" from her recent role in the movie Pixie, whom she described as "really manipulative and conniving and selfish." Perhaps Alicent is one of the good eggs in this world.

- Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen, described as "younger brother to King Viserys and heir to the throne. A peerless warrior and a dragonrider, Daemon possesses the true blood of the dragon. But it is said that whenever a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air…"

- Emma D’Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, "the king’s first-born child, she is of pure Valyrian blood, and she is a dragonrider. Many would say that Rhaenyra was born with everything… but she was not born a man."

In February, four more cast members were announced:

- Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon aka "The Sea Snake," who will be the lord of House Velaryon. Their bloodline is old as House Targaryen, and Velaryon earned his nickname for being the most notorious "nautical adventurer in the history of Westeros."

- Eve Best as Princess Rhaenys Velaryon, a dragonrider who is wife to Lord Corlys Velaryon. She did not get the throne at the Great Council because — hold your surprise — "the realm favored her cousin, Viserys, simply for being male."

- Rhys Ifans as Otto Hightower. As Hand of the King, Hightower is protecting the throne loyally, and sees the king's brother Daemon (Matt Smith) as the biggest threat to the monach.

- Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria. Mysaria had nothing when she arrived in Westeros. Now, after she's "sold more times than she can recall," she's actually got the trust and of Daemon, the heir to the throne.

- Fabien Frankel as Ser Criston Cole, a member of King Viserys I Targaryen's Kingsguard. On his blog, George R.R. Martin wrote Ser Criston is "the common-born son of the steward to the Lord of Blackhaven. He has no claim to lands or titles, all he has is his honor and his skill with sword and lance. He is a challenger, a champion, cheered by the commons, beloved of the ladies. He is a lover (or is he?), a seducer (or is he?), a betrayer (or is he?), a breaker of hearts and a maker of kings
    First season 1 is set 200 years before GoT, will this progress up till Robert's Rebellion? That's the I want to watch the most!

Agreed on all account and I can whinge for 2 pages
    I think I will stick with just being annoyed if possibly 4 seasons more on the table... I pissed than they hooked me in but did not end well and did it rushed. But if they really did have to luxury to really plan out 12 seasons they basically produced a slap in the face instead. Thus not sure I can trust HBO for a second go around.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

HBO was more than willing to pay for as many seasons as they needed. It wasn't HBO's fault that Beinhoff and Weiss turned down their offer because they'd rather have done star wars.

The story is also completed (in the books) so there shouldn't be too much 'making it up as we go.'
    Quite the contrary, in the books you dont even have story or dialogue all you have is historical footnotes, and accounts from a POV of a maester. They are going to come up with lots of things to fill up the gaps, and dialogue too, they need to.
    Also knowing how it all ends, im not sure im in the mood to seat trough this if im honest. Getting tired of gritty nihilist . Its a hard pass from me.

Plus im sure they are going to go hard on the dragons for the mass appeal to the common denominator. A cash grab really.
    First season 1 is set 200 years before GoT, will this progress up till Robert's Rebellion? That's the I want to watch the most!
    It wont. Its going to cover the dance of dragons. The civil war between the targeryans, that annihilated lots of dragons, and ended up weakening the targeryan royal house.
    Roberts rebellion was 16 years before the beginning of GoT.

HBO was more than willing to pay for as many seasons as they needed. It wasn't HBO's fault that Beinhoff and Weiss turned down their offer because they'd rather have done star wars.
    karma would dictate they wouldnt get the SW gig either. That is funny if you ask me.
    But honestly i blame GRRM the most for the debacle.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 25, 2021 at 02:57 AM.

I wash my hands at everything GRRM. His books were the reason the show/D&D did as well as it did and when there were no more books, well... you get what we got.

EDIT: I've had my avatar since post season 1 (it's Jon's bastard sigil) and have growingly felt the need to chuck it in favor of the Space Wolves sigil.

EDIT 2: Plus this show's catch is about a dragon civil war. Yeah, remember how much we saw Ghost in the final season when they sparred no expense? Now more CGI on a smaller budget. No thank you.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; October 28, 2021 at 07:45 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I'm enormously underwhelmed and uninspired by this, given the ending of GOT. I don't care how much money they throw at it.
    How can you get excited for a prequel when you know how everything else ends in such a crap fashion?

Also, @ Halie Satanus, nice dig there with the coffee mugs and water bottles thing. I almost forgot about that.
    Gods Benioff and Weiss really rushed that final season and it shows, manifesting in so many little ways like this, and you can't blame GRRM's lack of writing for everything. There were a lot of things D&D added to season 1 that weren't even in the books, so they were clearly capable of writing. I'm just glad to have the "Schadenfreude" of knowing their Star Wars project failed due to their own stupidity and that most people sharing opinions about them online hate them.

I remember the feelings I had when finishing Season 1 of Game of Thrones, my excitement in being able to watch a truly epic high budget medieval fantasy on premium TV, and being totally blown away by the performances of Sean Bean as Ned Stark and Mark Addy as King "Bobby B" Robert Baratheon. It was a consolation prize for HBO cancelling Rome, but given how D&D ended the show I wish they had just done eight seasons of Rome instead, as others have mentioned here.

I'd honestly wait at least 2 full seasons of hearing nothing but good reviews for this show for me to even remotely consider giving the pilot episode a chance. Otherwise, not interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast