Thread: Lesson number 2

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Lesson number 2

Learn Italian alphabet

Most of the letters in the Italian alphabet are the same as the English ones, although they have a different pronunciation.

In italian we don’t have words with the letters “k” (cappa), “w” (vi/vu doppia), “x” (ics), “y” (i greca) and “j” (i lunga), however we use them in foreign and borrowed words.

A good way to start practicing is pronouncing single letters before moving on to reading the entire words.

Spoiler for Alphabet

C & G With the letters “C” and “G” the sound can vary according to the vowel that follows

“soft sound”

CE /ʧ/ like “CENA” – GE /ʤ/ like “GELATO”
    CI like “CIAO” – GI like “GIRAFFA”
    “hard sound”

CA /k/ like “CASA” – GA /g/ like “ GALLERIA”
    CO like “COLORE” – GO like “GONNA”
    CU like “CUORE” – GU like “GUANTO”
    CHE like “AMICHE” – GHE like “GHEPARDO”
    CHI like “CHILO” – GHI like “GHIACCIO”

Here is an explicative video, you can use subtitles in English.

For “GN” sound /ɲ/ just remember “GNOCCHI”

E, O, S, Z
    As for the letters “E, O, S, Z” their pronunciation depend on the italian regional accents

“e” for /e/ and /ɛ/;
    “o” for /o/ and /ɔ/;
    “s”, for /s/ or /z/;
    “z” , for /ts/ or /dz/;

H The letter “h” in italian is silent, we do not pronounce it and it usually distinguishes two homophone words for example the noun “anno” means year and the third plural person of “avere” (to have) is “hanno”; or the simple preposition “a” differs from the third person singular of “avere” (“ha”).

S The “S” sound can be “soft” or “harsh” /z/ when: (SONORA is when the sound vibrates, if you put your fingers on your throat you can feel it vibrates) when:

It is between 2 vowels for example in “ROSA”,” VISO”, “CHIESA”, “USO”
    when it’s followed by a voiced consonant “b”, “d”, “g”, “l”, “m”, “n”, “r”, “v” for example “SBATTERE, SMETTERE, SGRIDARE”
    The “S” sound is “soft” /s/ (SORDA)

at the beginning of a word when a vowel follows for example “SOLE”
    when it’s double “ROSSO”
    at the end of a word “AUTOBUS”
    when it is followed by a harsh consonant for example “SCUOLA” “CASCO”
    when it comes after a consonant “FALSO” “PENSO”
    “S” and “Z” sound can be stressed or unstressed when the consonant is between vowels or at the beginning of a word; but the pronunciation varies a lot according to the region in Italy (softer in the South, harsher in the North).
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lesson number 2

Just read and do some pronunciation exercises. This will become of help in the future once you'll have to practice spoken Italian
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Okay, I read your explanations and listened carefully to the scary lady in the video. As a comment, the soft and harsh sounds that you mentioned are in English terms "unvoiced" and "voiced" respectively, "voicing" being exactly the vibration in one's larynx you described.

In my previous studies, we were never really learning the distinction between /e/ and /ɛ/ nor /o/ and /ɔ/.

Indefinitely Banned

Interesting video! When she says Giochi it sounds like to me she saying Jockey like a jockey in horse racing and that . I struggle sometimes with pronunciation with the other languages, My German teacher in high school said I was good with it but I always beaten myself up with pronunciation and that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Okay, I read your explanations and listened carefully to the scary lady in the video. As a comment, the soft and harsh sounds that you mentioned are in English terms "unvoiced" and "voiced" respectively, "voicing" being exactly the vibration in one's larynx you described.

In my previous studies, we were never really learning the distinction between /e/ and /ɛ/ nor /o/ and /ɔ/.
    Scary?

And yes, Italian language can be way more complex that what it looks at a first glance, it's a very old language which came from an even older one.
    As I said, this is just an exercise for you to practice pronunciation, I doubt it will have a direct impact in any test in this course, but it will be useful should you be speaking Italian one day

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEOFKINGWARMAN88 View Post
    Interesting video! When she says Giochi it sounds like to me she saying Jockey like a jockey in horse racing and that . I struggle sometimes with pronunciation with the other languages, My German teacher in high school said I was good with it but I always beaten myself up with pronunciation and that.
    It's just a matter of practice and listening: when you can listen to a spoken language regularly, the correct pronunciation of words will become automatic, IMO.
    Last edited by Flinn; October 07, 2021 at 03:28 AM.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I also got a pretty scary vibe from the lady in the video

Now I want some Gnocchi

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

lol well I don't see how she's scary, probably you guys feel the rigidity she is showing while having to speak a strictly academical, accent-less, Italian

Sometimes people that have very exaggerated facial expressions, eyes wide open, and constantly flashing a giant row of teeth may look scary to someone from a culture where that is not the norm. I occasionally got the feeling that I must be very attentive not to snap her out of that fake positive mood. She might take a bite at me.

Blog Entries

well yes I agree she's a bit of vampiresque .. but again, I believe is a result of her having to speak with the highest register.. as I said academic Italian always results in something artificial