Thread: The furthest-traveling mercenary as supported by historical evidence

Default The furthest-traveling mercenary as supported by historical evidence

I've always wondered which mercenary unit travelled the furthest during their deployments into various foreign theaters of war. We've all heard of the southern Gauls who migrated into Galatia and then sold their services to various Diadochi, or southern Gauls who were directly shipped to Egypt to fight for the Ptolemaic Diadochi, or even earlier cases such as Iberian warbands being deployed to the Peloponnese during the Classical Greek period. These were heavily documented by contemporaries, yet there must've been more.

Post other examples of mercenaries or just fighters in general who traveled far and wide to make their livings by stabbing other people. They don't have to be constrained to EBII's section of Eurasia, but I'd prefer that you keep the time period to 272BC to 0AD. You may share heavily attested-to examples, or even theories, but in the end, there must be at least SOME historical evidence. Also, just for fun, calculate the distance in kilometers between the mercenary unit's area of origin (basically the region where they've spent most of their formative years training or whatever) and their furthest deployment.

Also, here are "banned" or "obvious" examples:

1. Literally every Balkan guy in Alexander's initial invasion force. Yeah, they win in both historical veracity and sheer distance. We need something new, though.

That's pretty much it. Let your imaginations or knowledge run wild!

Default Re: The furthest-traveling mercenary as supported by historical evidence

Slightly outside of your time period, but I find this fascinating... https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-...nment-37452287

Default Re: The furthest-traveling mercenary as supported by historical evidence

The farthest I can think of right now, although outside the EB timeframe, are the Byzantine Varangian Guard.

The Gallic horsemen under Publius Crassus. Do we count them as mercenaries or auxiliaries? Not sure, but they did travel a great distance. First they served under Caesar in Gaul and then went to war in Parthia under Marcus Lucinius Crassus. We all know how that ended; they were slaughtered to the last man at Carrhae(including Publius, their commander and Crassus' son). So that was pretty grim huh?
    I think the greatest distance travelled by a pre-modern soldier has to be for the Mongolian warriors in the 13th century. All the way from Mongolia to Poland. They fought Japanese Samurai and European knights at the same time.

Fernandesz's Avatar Foederatus

Syrian archers in Britain. Or in WWI, Indians fighting in France. They arent mercenaries but is the same idea i think...