Thread: Have a Named Character be Heir to a different faction

Default Have a Named Character be Heir to a different faction

Haven't found any info on if this is possible, so is it at least possible to shoehorn the mechanic through scripting? I read the send_character_off_map thing but I'm not familiar with scripting in this game and it also seemed rather weird and buggy. If it's just not possible, what would be the closest way of replicating it?

Default Re: Have a Named Character be Heir to a different faction

If you're asking about any generic named character who is somehow converted from one faction to another and becomes the heir of that faction, yes that is theoretically possible without any scripting. There are a few different ways characters can convert between factions and the character with the highest authority is selected by the game to be the next heir when the current one dies.

But I suspect you're asking how to do this for a particular named character, which is tricky. You can indeed use send_character_off_map on this character if he is identifiable (has a label), and then spawn_army him into the new faction, but there is no way to directly make him the heir of this faction. You can give him max authority and he may become the next heir, you can then kill the current heir of this faction (if he's identifiable) and the transferred character will become the heir (should be immediate).

You could instead have two characters, one in each faction, each the heir of his respective faction at turn 0. Send the second one off map on turn 0 so he only shows up in the family tree. The 'transfer' would consist of killing or sending off the first one and re-spawning the second one to the map. Of course, the second one would be visible in the family tree prior to the transfer unless the second faction is teutonic, and this plan will only work for known characters who start as heirs on turn 0.

Yes, a particular Named Character. I'm not familiar with scripting yet, is there anywhere I can check the send_character_off_map to achieve this?

You can look up most script conditions and commands in the docudemons - a necessary tool for doing any scripting. Be warned that some of the descriptions in that file are incorrect and some information is missing. It is quite useful as a general guide but always be sure to test everything for yourself.

The syntax for send_character_off_map is simply:
    Code:
    send_character_off_map character_label_1
    You can also use character name, but I strongly recommend using unique labels instead of names wherever possible.