Thread: On the morality of evolution

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: On the morality of evolution

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Kissaki,

So, what you're saying is that the words in the Bible are true but that you can't get your head around there being an afterlife for which you will be sent into?
    There's no way you haven't just intentionally misunderstood his post.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Kissaki View Post
    Ultimately, we won't. The earth isn't going to be habitable forever, and even the universe itself will eventually die. Meanwhile, we're going to do our best to live and thrive, because that's what we do. On an individual level, too, we know that each and every one of us is going to die. But before that happens, we are doing everything we can to survive. Sure, it's just postponing the inevitable... but death is a train you cannot possibly be late for, so there's no point in rushing.
    Kissaki,

The Bible says that and so you are just postponing the inevitable so where is my mistake about what you said?

Kissaki,

The Bible says that and so you are just postponing the inevitable so where is my mistake about what you said?
    No, the Bible says you can survive your own death through the blood of Jesus Christ. I'm saying everything dies. You asked, "Humanity lives on a doomed planet which it has no control over so how is it going to survive," and I pointed out that in the long run, we don't. But that's not something evolution takes into consideration. Life wants to live.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

And as far as future evolution goes, there's this a book I read quite some time ago called "Life and Death of Planet Earth". To get a glimpse of its contents, you can watch this lecture by one of its authors.

Btw, if anyone knows of more recent works along the same line, please let me know. It's a fascinating topic.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Kissaki View Post
    No, the Bible says you can survive your own death through the blood of Jesus Christ. I'm saying everything dies. You asked, "Humanity lives on a doomed planet which it has no control over so how is it going to survive," and I pointed out that in the long run, we don't. But that's not something evolution takes into consideration. Life wants to live.
    Of course we're now talking timescales... Because there is every chance that our genetic legacy will outlive our planet (whether that is us or just from us is another question). And there's also every chance that those who inherit our legacy might also keep the planet alive a lot longer than it would otherwise survive, even beyond the life of our star.

An then there's that surviving death thing. We might also be able to synthesise Heaven too soon enough... with uploaded consciousnesses and living without want or need in a virtual environment as close as infinitely as technically possible.

But yeah... cold heat death or big rips or what ever...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Actually there is a close to 0 chance our genetic legacy will outlive the planet, because even if we do colonize outside the solar system those colonists will no longer be fully human within a very short time-frame and no longer recognizable as formerly human within 10000 or so generations. For our genetic legacy to survive you'd need a planet that is EXACTLY like Earth, same atmosphere, same gravity, same day/night cycle, same temperature, weather and seasons, roughly similar biological niches. The probability for that tends towards 0.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Actually there is a close to 0 chance our genetic legacy will outlive the planet, because even if we do colonize outside the solar system those colonists will no longer be fully human within a very short time-frame and no longer recognizable as formerly human within 10000 or so generations. For our genetic legacy to survive you'd need a planet that is EXACTLY like Earth, same atmosphere, same gravity, same day/night cycle, same temperature, weather and seasons, roughly similar biological niches. The probability for that tends towards 0.
    Well, if we're getting nerdy about this (and why on earth not), then however different our descendants will be from us, 10000 or so generations down the line, they will still be our legacy. And they would not nescessarily need a planet exactly like earth.

Why, we don't even need a planet exactly like earth - in the ballpark will do. After all, our species evolved some 300,000 years ago. In that time, climate has varied greatly. And the regional differences are quite significant as well. And the further back in time you go, the greater the atmospheric differences.

And in any case, by the time we are able to travel to distant stars, we have probably mastered terraforming to some degree, and probably even colonised Mars. So whatever our atmospheric needs, we ought to be able to find suitable planets.

I think the idea humans will advance to the point of colonizing other planets before this one potentially ends civilization as we know it is a pipe dream. If we have tech remotely capable of making other planets more livable we should be concentrating those resources on keeping the one we have in such a state. The survival of the species depends on it.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    I think the idea humans will advance to the point of colonizing other planets before this one potentially ends civilization as we know it is a pipe dream. If we have tech remotely capable of making other planets more livable we should be concentrating those resources on keeping the one we have in such a state. The survival of the species depends on it.
    I agree job one is keeping home a livable place. But I am OK with modest investments over time such that in the very long run we have a shot at sending people out into the wild black yonder on a coin toss. Colonization on the solar system is silly unless you are shooting for a young star someplace else, Mars is just as toast as Earth in the long run.
    Last edited by conon394; January 26, 2022 at 08:55 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Agreed I think the hail mary deep space expedition, if we ever get to that point, will have to be done by robots in any event, unless humans find a way to transcend our fleshy prisons.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

The greatest words ever presented to mankind are, " In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." He did it in six wonderful days, not in thousands, or millions, or even billions of years, how? Because He is God in Whom nothing that was created was not created but by Him. Everything that exists only exists because He is in it and through it and if He had to withdraw the minutest particle from anything it would collapse into nothing. Man cannot and never will be able to compete with God.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

The greatest words ever presented to mankind are, " In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." He did it in six wonderful days, not in thousands, or millions, or even billions of years, how? Because He is God in Whom nothing that was created was not created but by Him. Everything that exists only exists because He is in it and through it and if He had to withdraw the minutest particle from anything it would collapse into nothing. Man cannot and never will be able to compete with God.
    Ahh yes if you believe absoultly a particular set of texts long edited and modified to the effect that they have on you. There are unfortunately many others and many other firm believers in those other traditions. There have also been many other firm believers of the larger tradition you follow who see things rather differently than you do .
    Last edited by conon394; January 26, 2022 at 02:14 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

"The Bible says its true, so it must be true, because as we know from the Bible, every word in the bible is true"

There's like 1000 other books out there with the same premise; its just sheer narcissism on the part of some to assume that the one of the culture they were raised in is the exact correct holy text.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

If the Sun was created on day 2, when did the first day start and end? We don't know how God created, well, everything.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

I kind of feel I have to jump to Basic's defense here (albeit in a kind of backhanded way). Let's acknowledge that his biblical literalism is at least cohesive in the sense that only such an anthropocentric version of "creation" is consistent with the notion that the bible is the revealed word of god. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than believing that text fits in the context of a 13+ billion years 'back story' including the big bang, the birth of our solar system, and the origin of life followed by more billions of years of evolution.

If there is controversy about the nature of the universe and how it came about, it is not between theists and non-theists. It is most definitely between those who follow a particular religion and those who do not. It is about the question whether it is credible that scripture is the revealed word of God, not whether there is a god.

In that context I'd like to point out that dismissing Genesis as non-literal does not so much help the credibility of the bible by resolving an apparent conflict but rather it eliminates one of the opportunities it had to reveal something transcendant. Arguably, it would have been more credible if it said nothing at all about creation than something that does not show any signs of transcending contemporary thinking.
    Last edited by Muizer; January 26, 2022 at 04:54 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Say perchance I had to kill you to survive just because you had more than me, where is the morality in that? There isn't any yet men kill for lesser reasons than that. Oh and by the way women can be just as bad and they're supposed to be the better at understanding ones. No my friends evolution is nothing to shout home about.

Say perchance I had to kill you to survive just because you had more than me, where is the morality in that? There isn't any yet men kill for lesser reasons than that. Oh and by the way women can be just as bad and they're supposed to be the better at understanding ones. No my friends evolution is nothing to shout home about.
    Morality is a collective thing, with individual building blocks. Every person manages to justify his actions to himself, and so he is moral according to his own code. But if other individuals disagree with his moral views, he has a problem: now he is an outlaw. Perhaps they will seek to kill him.

And then, of course, there is the fact that a person would have to be pretty stupid not to realise that his own actions can be used against him. So even if he were a psychopath, devoid of empathy, then he would think twice before harming others for personal gain. But then the majority of individuals do have empathy, which is the essential ingredient for a society to work. And an inevitable step of evolution.

I do get the feeling, however, that you seem to think people who accept evolution also look to evolution for our morals. This is simply not the case. Evolution explains how such a concept could come to be, but it does not tell us what is moral and what isn't. That is a subjective matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    I kind of feel I have to jump to Basic's defense here (albeit in a kind of backhanded way). Let's acknowledge that his biblical literalism is at least cohesive in the sense that only such an anthropocentric version of "creation" is consistent with the notion that the bible is the revealed word of god. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than believing that text fits in the context of a 13+ billion years 'back story' including the big bang, the birth of our solar system, and the origin of life followed by more billions of years of evolution.

If there is controversy about the nature of the universe and how it came about, it is not between theists and non-theists. It is most definitely between those who follow a particular religion and those who do not. It is about the question whether it is credible that scripture is the revealed word of God, not whether there is a god.

In that context I'd like to point out that dismissing Genesis as non-literal does not so much help the credibility of the bible by resolving an apparent conflict but rather it eliminates one of the opportunities it had to reveal something transcendant. Arguably, it would have been more credible if it said nothing at all about creation than something that does not show any signs of transcending contemporary thinking.
    I’m similarly taken aback by the idea that theistic evolution has the presumably intended positive impact on the credibility of the Bible. Cutting God down from “I am the Truth” and the Bible from “the sword of Truth” to “you can’t prove I’m not true” is a grim concession which suggests the priority is not to defend truth but to protect a narrative. Thus as you say the conclusion, whatever it may be, is less relevant to the intended audience of non-religious skeptics than to Christianity and its apologists.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

You sound like the girl with glasses in this video.

Basically, you've missed the entire point.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I didn’t think people like that actually existed, and that Ricky Gervais just argues with his straw man interpretation of his opposition, until I started coming to the D&D section.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR