Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: On the morality of evolution

Default Re: On the morality of evolution

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz
    I doubt anyone in Spinoza’s time knew about El, most of what we know comes texts that were discovered archaeologically. Canaanite El was depicted anthropomorphically, but he was distant, in that it was his children that acted in the world, each representing particular forces of nature.
    Guess it was just me then lol. Spinoza’s modes or divine attributes and El’s children seem to perform similar functions in relation to God himself. I suppose the speculation was less literal and more a thought that Jewish doctrine would have the same objections to the idea as to polytheism (or the Christian trinity now that I think of it), so I’m surprised Spinoza’s God is in fact based on a common conception of God.
    The historical narrative you’re piecing together here comes from various hypotheses I’m pretty sure are wrong in one way or another.

In the Late Bronze Age, El (whose name is simply God) was the head of the pantheon throughout Canaan. He was the father god, the creator god, who was wise, compassionate, and eternal. His consort was the mother goddess Asherah.

The earliest certain mention of Yahweh is a Ninth Century BCE stele commemorating Mesha the king of Moab’s victory against Israel during the reign of Ahab. In it, Yahweh is presented as the god of the Israelites. Inscriptions from Kuntillet ᶜAjrud and Khirbet al-Qom refer to “Yahweh and his Asherah”, “Yahweh of Samaria”, and “Yahweh of Teman”. Samaria is both the heartland and capital city of the Kingdom of Israel. Teman means the south.

The popular hypothesis is that the conception of the monotheistic God grew out of a fusion of El the Canaanite father/creator god and Yahweh the national god of the Israelites. However, Psalms 118:27 refers to El-Yahweh. This can be interpreted as “El [who] causes to be”, which suggests the possibility that name Yahweh simply began as one of El’s epithets. Likewise, we know from 2 Kings 23:6–8 that until sometime in the reign of Josiah (c. 640–609 BCE), Asherah (El’s consort) was venerated in the Temple of Yahweh, consistent with the extrabiblical sources mentioning “Yahweh and his Asherah”. Throughout the Bible, one of the most important Israelite shrines to Yahweh was at Bethel, that is Bēṯ ᵓĒl meaning “The House of El” or the “The Temple of El”.
    Ah ok. I was under the impression that the true identity of El as Yahweh or vice versa was initially a theological source of conflict between Judah and the other tribes. If memory serves, the earthquake in 760 BCE precipitated a clash between the cults of Baal and El precisely because El was considered impersonal and therefore inferior to Baal as a source of divine aid. I had thought the origin myth of a single nation of Israel under a single God El/Yahweh must’ve therefore come after that period, possibly as a result of the Assyrian conquest and the religious conflict with Baal.
    The reforms under Josiah were wholly monotheistic before the Babylonian Exile. There were probably parallel versions of the Mesopotamian creation/flood myths in Canaan before the exile, and the Babylonian exile wouldn’t have been the first opportunity for Judahites to have been exposed to Babylonian literature. Nevertheless, several myths which appear in Genesis demonstrate clear engagement with Mesopotamian stories, as in the texts author(s) appear to expect the reader to be familiar with them, so that the way they were reworked can be seen as a polemic.
    If I recall correctly, Josiah was installed by the priesthood to reverse the polytheistic practices of his father and grandfather and codify certain oral traditions from the Torah into law. But I don’t think that yet meant other gods didn’t exist, only that they shouldn’t be worshipped. Perhaps I misunderstand that point though. My understanding of Ezekiel is to reassure a nervous Jewish diaspora that assimilation by Babylonian gods couldn’t succeed because those gods didn’t exist and the real God had a special covenant with the tribes of Israel, signaling the arrival of monotheism as Abrahamic religions know it today.

Nevertheless the concern was driven by the growing incorporation of Babylonian myths into Jewish oral tradition, like creation, Noah’s flood, tower of Babel, and the fear future generations of Jews would forget their heritage in such a way. I thought it was ironic that many of the myths in Genesis are supposed to be a byproduct of foreign influence seen as negative by some Jewish leaders at the time, so there might’ve been some dogmatic need to resolve the conflict and reconcile pantheistic stories to monotheism. If Jewish panentheism is a byproduct of Greek philosophical influence, my speculation on this point is irrelevant anyway, unfortunately. Is that a reference to the Septuagint?
    The term “god of the gaps” refers to seeing God as the explanation for that which has not yet been explained by science, which leaves an ever shrinking space for the explanatory power of God. Kaplan was referring to those things that science simply cannot address. There is no scientific evidence for the existence of right and wrong, no scientific evidence for human rights, and there never can be. Science can offer explanations for why our species develops moral systems, but it can never confirm or falsify the inherent value or accuracy of any particular moral proposition.

Kaplan was writing in the 1950s, at that time, many of the Jewish movements had been moving toward embracing a worldview based on strict scientific materialism. Yet, the issue with that position is that it leads to the logical conclusion that there is nothing inherently better about Jewish traditions and morality than the beliefs espoused by the Nazis. But of course that isn’t what Jews believe, so the term transnatural theology was meant to be descriptive, not explanatory. It’s a description of a belief, not a justification for believing it, and a recognition that no justification can be found within the confines of strict naturalism.
    I would say the idea of an absolute and superior moral code is not scientifically falsifiable, so Kaplan makes sense in that regard. I think there’s a fundamental difference in approach between the idea that only one moral code is correct, and natural observations which suggest certain behaviors humans generally consider moral vs immoral can be materially justified (disgust, anger, altruism, peer pressure, etc). These can be systems, yes, but the the assertion that a certain system is inherently correct and superior to all others is what science can’t explain, so it just seems to be a solution to a problem of its own making. One could argue that applies to religion in general, but even so, to describe it as something science can’t explain presupposes there ought to be an explanation. I’d wager there are any number of philosophical systems that explore the nature of consciousness without a God, but I don’t know that makes them inferior to ones with a God, descriptively or otherwise.

My understanding is Kaplan’s goal was to divorce Judaism from the supernatural, because the latter is untenable under naturalist premises. But even if one assumes God ought to exist as a description, it doesn’t seem self-evident that the transnatural would have any more descriptive value than the supernatural, unless natural law and the existence of God inherently conflict on some level. The abrogation of natural law is only a problem worth solving if one needs to conform to naturalist premises in the first place, which themselves are informed by the kind of evidence deemed insufficient or otherwise invalid a priori.

Even if it really is the intangible virtues of [insert group] that contributed to their survival and success relative to others, I’m not sure how that would be able to describe other, contradictory value systems which nevertheless helped other group(s) in the same way. If God is goodness itself (Judaism?) and not the anthropomorphic deity which gave goodness to the people, what is the descriptive value of God as a mark of superiority, as opposed to other forms of exceptionalism - particularly if loyalty is more valuable than belief? I haven’t read enough of Kaplan to know if he talks about it, but perhaps it has more to do with Reconstructionist Judaism than with his views in particular.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; February 05, 2022 at 05:34 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Where are these so-called gaps as I have never found one?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    Ah ok. I was under the impression that the true identity of El as Yahweh or vice versa was initially a theological source of conflict between Judah and the other tribes. If memory serves, the earthquake in 760 BCE precipitated a clash between the cults of Baal and El precisely because El was considered impersonal and therefore inferior to Baal as a source of divine aid. I had thought the origin myth of a single nation of Israel under a single God El/Yahweh must’ve therefore come after that period, possibly as a result of the Assyrian conquest and the religious conflict with Baal.
    For those that don’t know, what you’re talking about is the fact that most archaeologists, historians, and biblical scholars doubt that David and Solomon ruled over a great monotheistic “United Monarchy” that included the territories of both Israel and Judah. The main reasons for this is that most of the monumental architecture traditionally believed to have been built under the reign of Solomon dates to the reigns of Omri and Ahab, archaeological estimates of the population of the Judean and Samarian Highlands during the period David and Solomon would have reigned are quite low, extra-biblical primary sources refer to Judah as the “House of David” whereas Israel is referred to as the “House of Omri”, while the Bible itself retains ample evidence that early Judah was polytheistic.

Determining exactly what portion of, and what details from, the early monarchic stories constitute historical memory isn’t an easy task. Obviously, a lot of anachronistic embellishments went into them when they were written down centuries later, but a couple points to consider:

• Israel as a tribal affiliation predated the Kingdom of Israel, the earliest extrabiblical corroboration of this being the Merneptah Stele c. 1208 BCE.
    • Based on the fact the Kingdom of Edom is essentially invisible to archaeology outside their industrial scale copper mining, Erez Ben-Yosef makes a reasonable point that if a united monarchy based largely on patronage networks existed for a couple generations, it might likewise be invisible to archaeology.
    • Ben-Yosef also notes that the survey methodology used to estimate the population can’t really account for tent-dwelling pastoral semi-nomads.
    • The biblical text relevant to this period certainly contains authentic historical memories. For example, Shoshenq I’s campaign in the Levant c. 925 BCE.
    • During the Eleventh Century, a cluster of settlements developed on the Benjamin Plateau. These include Mizpah, which was Saul’s capital according to the biblical text.
    • Based on archaeological evidence, by the late-Eleventh/early-Tenth Century BCE, Jerusalem appears to have become the capital of a small kingdom, which included the Benjamin Plateau to the north. This is contemporaneous to David's reign according to the biblical text.
    • Subsequently, a series of building projects were carried out in the settlements on the Benjamin Plateau, which appear to represent Jerusalem’s efforts to solidify their hegemony there. This is roughly contemporaneous with Solomon’s reign according to the biblical text.

The last three points match the rough outline of the biblical text, only on a smaller scale. For these reasons, archaeologists working on this period in Israel find it completely reasonable to accept that Solomon built a temple of Yahweh in Jerusalem, regardless of whether or not the northern Israelite kingdom had ever been ruled from there.

Exclusive veneration of Yahweh developed in Judah. Yahweh was the national god of Israel according to extra-biblical sources. Yəhōšafat (Jehoshapat in English) the king of Judah c. 870–848 BCE had a Yahwistic name. ᵓĂḥazyāh (Ahaziah in English) the king of Israel c. 853–852 BCE likewise had a Yahwistic name. Therefore, I don’t see any reason to accept any hypothesis which proposes that the two kingdoms initially had different national gods.

If I recall correctly, Josiah was installed by the priesthood to reverse the polytheistic practices of his father and grandfather and codify certain oral traditions from the Torah into law. But I don’t think that yet meant other gods didn’t exist, only that they shouldn’t be worshipped. Perhaps I misunderstand that point though. My understanding of Ezekiel is to reassure a nervous Jewish diaspora that assimilation by Babylonian gods couldn’t succeed because those gods didn’t exist and the real God had a special covenant with the tribes of Israel, signaling the arrival of monotheism as Abrahamic religions know it today.
    This may be true, and it's widely accepted, but these types of hypotheses that biblical scholars come up with are tenuous.

The view that true monotheism developed during the exilic period is based on the fact that most of the explicitly monotheistic statements can be found in the writings of the hypothesized Deutero-Isaiah, that is Isaiah 40–55 written from the perspective of a Judahite in exile in Babylon after Jerusalem had been destroyed.

The argument that Josiah’s reforms represented monolatry rather than monotheism is based on the assumption that “the Book of the Law” found in the temple (2 Kings 22:8) was Deuteronomy, which includes “You shall have no other gods before me” (Deuteronomy 5:7). But what 2 Kings 22:8 actually says was found was “the Torah scroll”. Incidentally, what Deuteronomy 5:7 literally says is “You will have no other gods on (or over) my face”. What it actually means though, is “over me”. That is no god is greater than Yahweh. If this line really reflects Josiah’s reform, then what was the problem with Asherah? Something isn’t consistent in the hypothesis.

Then there is 2 Kings 19:19: “Now, Yahweh our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone, Yahweh, are God.” This is attributed to Hezekiah, Josiah’s great grandfather, but sits in a passage that most biblical scholars seem to argue was written during the reign of Manasseh, Josiah’s grandfather, or is at least pre-Exilic. Oh, except for this line, which they argue was added during the Exilic period, based on the fact that it’s clearly monotheistic. Okay, maybe, but you can see how that’s circular reasoning.

If Jewish panentheism is a byproduct of Greek philosophical influence, my speculation on this point is irrelevant anyway, unfortunately. Is that a reference to the Septuagint?
    I was referring to Neoplatonism.
    Last edited by sumskilz; February 08, 2022 at 12:44 AM. Reason: fixed spelling errors
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Exclusive veneration of Yahweh developed in Judah. Yahweh was the national god of Israel according to extra-biblical sources. Yəhōšafat (Jehoshapat in English) the king of Judah c. 870–848 BCE had a Yahwistic name. ᵓĂḥazyāh (Ahaziah in English) the king of Israel c. 853–852 BCE likewise had a Yahwistic name. Therefore, I don’t see any reason to accept any hypothesis which proposes that the two kingdoms initially had different national gods.
    Makes sense. Perhaps the issue is really about the development of YHWH and how his attributes were influenced by those of El, since the nature of El is established by the Canaanite pantheon and afaik the two were initially separate deities. If I’m not mistaken Asherah is at times noted as a wife/consort to El or to Yahweh depending on the tribe/region of the Levant. If true it would suggest the command from God to purge altars and sanctuaries dedicated to any other god(dess) in Deuteronomy 12 is extra spicy if nothing else. Timing is probably also relevant since some theories allege El developed into YHWH while others that they both existed at different points within the Canaanite pantheon.

As it relates to conflict between Israel and Judah, the former invaded the latter in the 840s BCE in some kind of Game of Thrones situation. If I recall correctly, it also involved local cults of El vs Yahweh vs Baal in a kind of legitimacy dispute, and the assassination of Athalia and ascension of Joash was related to that. So I figured it must’ve meant there were distinct beliefs about the the true nature of the supreme god that made El and Yahweh distinct local gods for all intents and purposes. Reading a bit more about the subject it seems I probably extrapolate too much from certain details, but the reason I mention it is to wonder where this kind of amalgamation of various ancient attributes of different deities combined into the God we know today. Biblically El (עֶלְיוֹן )and YHWH (יְהֹוָה) could be inferred as separate, unless the two were already synonymous when Deuteronomy was written:

8 When the most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel.
    9 For the LORD'S portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.
    YHWH seems to be the creator god, the personal god, while El is primarily a reference to the supreme god of the heavens, which makes sense. I think it’s in Samuel and Psalms that the two appear as one and the same, though I haven’t checked thoroughly, which may overlap with the exile period.

O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.
    2 For the Lord most high is terrible; he is a great King over all the earth.
    The argument that Josiah’s reforms represented monolatry rather than monotheism is based on the assumption that “the Book of the Law” found in the temple (2 Kings 22:8) was Deuteronomy, which includes “You shall have no other gods before me” (Deuteronomy 5:7). But what 2 Kings 22:8 actually says was found was “the Torah scroll”. Incidentally, what Deuteronomy 5:7 literally says is “You will have no other gods on (or over) my face”. What it actually means though, is “over me”. That is no god is greater than Yahweh. If this line really reflects Josiah’s reform, then what was the problem with Asherah? Something isn’t consistent in the hypothesis.

Then there is 2 Kings 19:19: “Now, Yahweh our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone, Yahweh, are God.” This is attributed to Hezekiah, Josiah’s great grandfather, but sits in a passage that most biblical scholars seem to argue was written during the reign of Manasseh, Josiah’s grandfather, or is at least pre-Exilic. Oh, except for this line, which they argue was added during the Exilic period, based on the fact that it’s clearly monotheistic. Okay, maybe, but you can see how that’s circular reasoning.
    It does seem inconvenient that direct mentions of El mostly dry up after Deuteronomy. Isaiah talks about YHWH before mentioning Lucifer wants to be like El, but other than that I think there’s just the random reference in Lamentations.

I was referring to Neoplatonism.
    Ah right. If the translation of the Septuagint marked a period of cultural exchange between Greek philosophy and the Jewish Scriptures, I suppose Jesus could have known about it? As a rabbi he would have been educated accordingly, possibly as a member of Beit Hillel. I could be wrong about the latter but I think Jesus’ repeated denouncements of strict legalism make the most sense in the context of the conflict between Hillel and Shammai and the plot to frame Jesus as a rebel leader so the Romans would agree to kill him. Anyway, the parable of Lazarus is infused with themes from the Greek afterlife, in a way that always struck me as out of place alongside Jesus’ other references to traditional theology. Are you aware of any significance behind the juxtaposition of Hades (ᾅδης) and Abraham’s Bosom (שְׁאוֹל)or is the Greek element a potential reinterpretation by whoever put the Gospels together? He does make a couple other references to hell but none in the context of consciousness, save that one. Hillel’s general theology might inform this or any of Jesus’ theology and historical references to everything from creation and Noah’s flood to apocalyptic canon. I just don’t know what exactly that theology might have been, beyond its progressive reputation.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; February 08, 2022 at 09:09 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

When Moses asked God what he should tell the people regarding God Himself, God replied, " I AM that I AM." And so the controversy goes on. Is God real? Does God actually exist? Well according to the Scriptures, a heart that is weighed down by sin, the appeal to repent by prayer will be in response to hearing the Gospel. That my friends is when one does realise that God does exist.

Very interesting.

It’s 1859 and there was this guy named Charles Darwin and he rode on a beagle to these islands, and had a little idea....(Evolution). Just like humans can take the variety that they saw in animals (descent with modification) and breed horses to be faster or dogs to more hot-dog-like; given enough time, Ol’ Charlie D. figured, nature could take even the smallest, slimiest, of creatures and create the biggest and most baddest of T-Rexes (random mutation & natural selection). Nice. BUT, there was one doubt that he couldn’t shake, a problem that threatened to undo his entire theory. here’s the story...

Opinions?
    Last edited by razerbelkin; February 13, 2022 at 08:27 AM.
    ישוע הוא האלוהים האמיתי היחיד ואני אוהבת אותו

The “problem” of the Cambrian explosion and “missing” fossils is a well-worn fallacy. Subsequent discoveries have extended the known history of life a few billion years further back than what was known in Darwin’s time. The main problem with trying to debunk evolutionary biology based on a book published over 160 years ago is it was 160 years ago.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/fossils...logic-time.htm

It’s not true that there are no transitional fossils. It’s not true that there are no precambrian fossils. It’s not true that evolutionary biology is a controversial or dubious concept in science. It’s not true that scientists have never proven random chemical reactions can produce the building blocks of life. The only reason I can think of why the presenter would make a video centered on those claims is if he assumed his audience either wouldn’t know or wouldn’t care whether or not they were true, because this information would have to have come up in any web search on the topic. The guy seems to like statistics, but missed the 1:5000000000000…… odds that his fixed species view is accurate.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NNijmxsKGbc

I think that I'll stick to the words, " In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth," followed by each daily record of what happened during the six days of creation. By the end of that period all things that were to be were completed making this planet up and running. Fossilisation only came into being after Noah's flood in a big way for that was when there was enough death to make them. Evolution is just a theory built on assumption and imagination, why? Because when God completed creation it was in maturity and so because things like rocks were matured it must have taken long timing for them to be that way. Man thinks this because he is not God never realising the full capacity of God's power.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

I guess to be fair... If I can draw a made up family tree on a page, God (or gods) can 'draw up' a genetic record just for kicks.

But what would the purpose for that be? What would God (or gods) motivation for creating a fake story hidden in our DNA?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

antaeus,

How can it be a fake story when we all are actually living in it and through it? We were made for God's good pleasure because as God He can do such things otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    antaeus,

How can it be a fake story when we all are actually living in it and through it? We were made for God's good pleasure because as God He can do such things otherwise we wouldn't be here.
    I see only two considerations:

1. Our current understanding of DNA is either correct, and every creature shares a genetic lineage that goes back billions of years.

Or

2. God placed DNA there in a way that made it look like it shows a billion year lineage.

What would be God's motivation for number 2?

Praeses

Look mate you're not a "real believer", so you can't understand...
    ...and its a secret, but if you promise not to tell....
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    I see only two considerations:

1. Our current understanding of DNA is either correct, and every creature shares a genetic lineage that goes back billions of years.

Or

2. God placed DNA there in a way that made it look like it shows a billion year lineage.

What would be God's motivation for number 2?
    antaeus,

Who says that DNA goes back billions of years? God put DNA into every single thing that needed it and only to the amount that was needed. In other words just over some six thousand years ago God gave to each of the kinds He made enough DNA so they could live out their destined lives accordingly. Why contest that by imagining something that never happened?

antaeus,

Who says that DNA goes back billions of years? God put DNA into every single thing that needed it and only to the amount that was needed. In other words just over some six thousand years ago God gave to each of the kinds He made enough DNA so they could live out their destined lives accordingly. Why contest that by imagining something that never happened?
    basics,

You're avoiding the question. The consensus, amongst virtually all those who use, study, and otherwise understand DNA, is that it shows lineage. You can tell who my parents are, based on DNA alone. You can tell who my grandparents are, and so on. You can literally count generations. This is not theory, it is fact. As much fact as the ground you walk on. You can pretend it is not, but that is you pretending, and not the word of God.

Therefore, if God made the world a few thousand years ago, then God made the world populated with creatures that have DNA lineage built in, that says they have ancestors that go back more than a billion years.

You can pretend that DNA doesn't say this. But it does. And it can be proven to what ever level of evidence you desire. DNA is a storage of lineage and ancestry. The only way to reconcile this with your understanding of the age of the world, is that God made it this way - when he made all the creatures, he made them with DNA that says they already had thousands and thousands of ancestors.

Why would God make creatures with DNA that says their ancestors have been around for thousands and thousands and thousands of generations?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Not much all kinds creatures have been happily sharing their DNA via lots of methods.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...er-dna/503585/

also

https://www.cshl.edu/the-non-human-l...inside-of-you/

You know the cool bit about the second is that makes you a transitinal basics.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

antaeus,

That's true but ole friend, one cannot go further back than Adam and Eve. But if you want to believe that your ancestor was a can of Campbell's or Heinz soup then feel free.

antaeus,

That's true but ole friend, one cannot go further back than Adam and Eve. But if you want to believe that your ancestor was a can of Campbell's or Heinz soup then feel free.
    Again you're avoiding the question.

Why would God make creatures with DNA that says their ancestors have been around for thousands and thousands and thousands of generations?

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Its fun to play with your sock puppets? Why would god punish everything for the sin of 3 individuals?

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

antaeus,

DNA may tell you that you have had ancestors but they don't tell you you actually did have ancestors going back thousands and thousands of years because at Adam and Eve they stop. When God made Adam he was made the perfect specimen meaning like all the other makings he was mature in every sense. Therefore his DNA was the best there could be but as we know every time a mutation takes place it brings about lesser strength and so it was when God changed the nature of mankind as well as the rest of creation all on this planet would get weaker as time elapsed. So, please answer my question, apart from what you think you read from DNA where is your proof that you had an ancestor before Adam? Name just one scientist who can name an ancestor older than Adam and has proof of that?

Name just one scientist who can name an ancestor older than Adam and has proof of that?
    Really? That is some what childish. Of course you could any other religion with a creation story and pick out their first pair names or more if they have them. I mean why not Manu and as I understand the Hidus put the world age quite a bit older than 6000 years.

Therefore his DNA was the best there could be but as we know every time a mutation takes place it brings about lesser strength...
    That is not how DNA works or mutation and changes to it. You really should not pontificate on a science field you are unfamiliar based on an iron age mythology written by people who had nothing approaching modern medical or biological understanding.