Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: On the morality of evolution

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: On the morality of evolution

conon394,

All the other faiths in the world are no more than offshoots of the original prophecy that God made about the " seed " of the woman Eve Who would contend with Satan for the souls of men. Their " seed " was not the very image of God, rather an image they imagined in whom good works was their way of entering their imagined heaven. Jesus Christ came into the world taught about the Kingdom of God, told of the necessity of being born again and backed that all up by wondrous miracles, dying and rising just as He said He would, being seen by over four hundred men and women later. Now that is fact as Mathew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Titus and Jude all testify to not forgetting the prophets who foretold of it.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

All the other faiths in the world are no more than offshoots of the original prophecy that God made about the " seed " of the woman Eve Who would contend with Satan for the souls of men
    Once again you misread the original text via poor translation and retroactive projection via the NT
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Once again you misread the original text via poor translation and retroactive projection via the NT
    conon394,

And pray tell, what was that original text that Jesus and all the other witnesses wrote about?

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    conon394,

And pray tell, what was that original text that Jesus and all the other witnesses wrote about?
    The OT in Hebrew and the most correct interpretation is descendants in general not a Seed. Jesus did not write about anything as might recall.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

[QUOTE=conon394;16059370]The OT in Hebrew and the most correct interpretation is descendants in general not a Seed. Jesus did not write about anything as might recall.

conon394,

When I talk of the " seed " I am talking of Jesus simply because the verses imply quite specifically and descriptively Jesus. Was He a seed of the woman? Most certainly as we all are since Eve being the first mother started the human race. Quote, " I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: he shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel, "— Genesis 3:15, American Standard Version. Now notice how specific the wording is, " He shall bruise thy head, " not we all shall bruise his head because it refers to a specific Person just as it refers to the serpent bruising His heel, not our heels. The prophesy is about Jesus.

And the word used in Genesis 3:15 per Strongs is: "זֶרַע zeraʻ, zeh'-rah;" defined as: "seed; figuratively, fruit, plant, sowing-time, posterity: carnally, child, fruitful, seed(-time), sowing-time."

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    And the word used in Genesis 3:15 per Strongs is: "זֶרַע zeraʻ, zeh'-rah;" defined as: "seed; figuratively, fruit, plant, sowing-time, posterity: carnally, child, fruitful, seed(-time), sowing-time."
    Infidel144,

It also explains why God the Son had to become a human thus fulfilling the prophecy. As a human He could rightfully claim to be of Eve's seed. Further it explains why the Father said, " Psalm 2:7,Hebrews 5:5,Mark 1:9-11 " I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee."

The OT in Hebrew and the most correct interpretation is descendants in general not a Seed. Jesus did not write about anything as might recall.
    conon394,

When I talk of the " seed " I am talking of Jesus simply because the verses imply quite specifically and descriptively Jesus. Was He a seed of the woman? Most certainly as we all are since Eve being the first mother started the human race. Quote, " I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: he shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel, "— Genesis 3:15, American Standard Version. Now notice how specific the wording is, " He shall bruise thy head, " not we all shall bruise his head because it refers to a specific Person just as it refers to the serpent bruising His heel, not our heels. The prophesy is about Jesus.
    There is absolutely no basis for this interpretation whatsoever. It isn't a prophecy at all, it's a fable attempting to explain why things are the way they are. And of course it is not about a specific person, which is so blatantly obvious if you read the bit immediately preceding the fragment you quoted. It's from the same verse, even: "And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers. He will crush your head, and you will strike his heel." 'He' refers to Eve's offspring, ie. people in general.

A prophecy is not a prophecy if you only know it's a prophecy after it has allegedly been fulfilled. A prophecy is always readily identifiable as a prophecy before it comes to pass - it's a defining point. To illustrate, here's a sentence for you:

"And the women of New Bedford, they bloom like their own red roses."

That's from Moby Dick. That doesn't preclude it from being a prophecy, however. Is it a prophecy, though? It makes just as much meaning as a prophecy as half of Gen. 3:15, which is to say, none at all. But if we could find an event that we could somehow shoehorn into that quote, why not, eh? Hopefully you can see how silly it is when it's an example not from the Bible.
    Last edited by Kissaki; January 22, 2022 at 05:38 PM.

I have a little problem with the theory of evolution, I quote myself from another thread:
    Hm, I am no expert, but as far as I know evolution cannot explain the so called "Flagellum" (latin) or in german: "Geißelmotor", which some bacteria use for movement. The motor needed to move the "string" attached to the bacteria is way too complex for evolution, so I heard.

If evolution was indeed the only explanation, at one point in time, there would be bacteria around with a not fully developed "motor", and such were never found. It´s too complex to have developed step by step.

Quote Originally Posted by razerbelkin View Post
    I have a little problem with the theory of evolution, I quote myself from another thread:
    An oldie but goodie:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdwTwNPyR9w

It may seem strange to ask how the surviving of the fittest has any morality about it? Humanity lives on a doomed planet which it has no control over so how is it going to survive?

It may seem strange to ask how the surviving of the fittest has any morality about it? Humanity lives on a doomed planet which it has no control over so how is it going to survive?
    Of course it is not strange, no more than picking one book of Bronze to Iron Age myths and moral codes to base your morality on.

Of course it is not strange, no more than picking one book of Bronze to Iron Age myths and moral codes to base your morality on.
    conon394,

So, it is not strange that all humanity tries to live by these mythological laws and yet fails all the time?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Well Basics, I have to agree on the absurdity of the thread title. Now the reverse, the evolution of morality, that would be a sensible topic. I mean, the observation that mankind does indeed seem to have a propensity to develop moral frameworks and that there are strong similarities between them even when developed independently, and furthermore that more basic forms of morality are observable amongst quite a few social animals does make it quite likely that having 'morality' is part of a successful survival strategy in the Darwinian sense.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Now the reverse, the evolution of morality, that would be a sensible topic. I mean, the observation that mankind does indeed seem to have a propensity to develop moral frameworks and that there are strong similarities between them even when developed independently, and furthermore that more basic forms of morality are observable amongst quite a few social animals does make it quite likely that having 'morality' is part of a successful survival strategy in the Darwinian sense.
    There are philosophical debates that can be had regarding whether or not biological altruism (for example) can be considered true altruism, but Frans de Waal's research on this topic is interesting. I suppose it's safe to assume that all Dutch people pretty much know each other, but for anyone else:

Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

conon394,

So, it is not strange that all humanity tries to live by these mythological laws and yet fails all the time?
    Which ones the ones that start out with a angry god, who can't plan well and is punishing his whole creation for his own failings? Or some other mythology or just or...

----------

Frans de Waal's
    Or anyone who anywhere who took undergrad paleontology or anthropology after say 1980
    Last edited by conon394; January 23, 2022 at 03:43 PM.

Ultimately, we won't. The earth isn't going to be habitable forever, and even the universe itself will eventually die. Meanwhile, we're going to do our best to live and thrive, because that's what we do. On an individual level, too, we know that each and every one of us is going to die. But before that happens, we are doing everything we can to survive. Sure, it's just postponing the inevitable... but death is a train you cannot possibly be late for, so there's no point in rushing.

Kissaki,

So, what you're saying is that the words in the Bible are true but that you can't get your head around there being an afterlife for which you will be sent into?

Kissaki,

So, what you're saying is that the words in the Bible are true but that you can't get your head around there being an afterlife for which you will be sent into?
    This has got to be the worst misreading of one of my posts that I have ever come across.

Decent lecture on the thread topic

https://youtube.com/watch?v=e6L6WxwRBnM
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII