Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would we do if we didn't have Christmas and Easter?

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default What would we do if we didn't have Christmas and Easter?

Once again Easter is upon us and I was thinking what sort of world would it be if we didn't have these two particular times to celebrate? One only has to see the excitement on children's faces as each awaits their gifts or Easter Eggs even though most don't really understand the significance of the events yet who can deny the joy that kids get out of them? I mean how do unbelievers explain to their children why they get presents at Christmas and Easter goodies at Easter?

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: What would we do if we didn't have Christmas and Easter?

"My little Wednesday, today we are celebrating the festival of Folla. The westgerman goddess of fertility and spring. Her holy animals are rabbits, the egg is a symbol of fertility. To her honor we are painting this eggs. We celebrate with her festival the time of the year, when life is coming back and Winter is going and a new cyclus of life is beginning. On 30 April/1 May we must celebrating the celtic gods with Beltane, the begin of summer in the celtic calendar."

Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Once again Easter is upon us and I was thinking what sort of world would it be if we didn't have these two particular times to celebrate? One only has to see the excitement on children's faces as each awaits their gifts or Easter Eggs even though most don't really understand the significance of the events yet who can deny the joy that kids get out of them? I mean how do unbelievers explain to their children why they get presents at Christmas and Easter goodies at Easter?

As there is no Christianity? We presumably would have some mishmash of European winter solstice type festivals and a spring ones as well. Easter gotta be where its gotta be, so hard to say where a spring festival might end up, Christmas is easy since it more less planted to around the standard depth of winter plan an was relatively common as a big holiday across Europe.

I suppose with a more heterogeneous religious setting a country might have to either have a policy of either allowing you a certain number of religious holidays that you could pick

" I mean how do unbelievers explain to their children why they get presents at Christmas and Easter goodies at Easter?"

Pretty easy really because the holidays are mass up Christian believe and civic national holiday at the same time. Same reason my Iranian neighbor (not christian) had a Christmas tree his daughters like decorating it.
    Last edited by conon394; April 11, 2022 at 06:37 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

If we’re asking whether or not people would celebrate Easter (the goddess of Spring) or the various deities associated with the winter solstice if not for Christianity, the answer is in the question.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    "My little Wednesday, today we are celebrating the festival of Folla. The westgerman goddess of fertility and spring. Her holy animals are rabbits, the egg is a symbol of fertility. To her honor we are painting this eggs. We celebrate with her festival the time of the year, when life is coming back and Winter is going and a new cyclus of life is beginning. On 30 April/1 May we must celebrating the celtic gods with Beltane, the begin of summer in the celtic calendar."

Wait, that's what we are having already. He was asking if we didn't have it, eg if Christianity hadn't repurposed it. Still the same, right?

We would celebrate nothing?

Blog Entries

Nah - if it wasn't repurposed it would still be there, silly. Folla and Beltane do not need repurposing to prosper and be celebrated. Colorful eggs don't lie...

As to rabbits - did you know that carotene is good for your eyes?
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 11, 2022 at 11:41 AM.

Praeses

Yule have to do better, Ostara different line of argument if you want non-Christians to give up their own festivals.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Christianity "appropriated" the festivities of pre-existing religions and readjusted them as its own.

In fact, "Christmas" is the date of the Winter Solstice, a day people who lived and died long before Jesus realized had relevance through the study of nature. We call that science today.

To explain such scientific dates to the general public, it was given a religious meaning. Back when religion was used to explain natural events.
    But those events didn't happen because of a God.

No mention of christmas trees, Santa Claus or easter eggs in the Bible either. Come to think of it, these festivities are still quite pagan.

Quite a self-own, Basics.

DavidBN,

The very first Christian was righteous Abel who pre-existed any other religion since there was at the time only Cain and Abel as well as their sisters and parents, Adam and Eve. Cain murdered Abel because God favoured him so we don't know if Cain started any religion before then. So, any other religion only came about after that.

We well know that December was not the time of Christ's birth and certainly not a point for worship but as tradition has made it that is when we celebrate it. The whole point is about Redemption from sin and as everyone brought to Christ has a different date and time for that experience times and dates are not the important part, rather that redemption has taken place. And so it is that Jesus Christ our God came into the world to save a people for Himself, that is what we celebrate and do so not just once or twice a year rather every day.

Christmas trees and Easter eggs and Santa all have a bearing of truth. The tree could be representative of the cross. The egg representative of the stone covering the grave and of course St Nicholas who actually gave out gifts to celebrate the birth of Christ. Oh they may well be pagan but not for all them born again of the Spirit of God. You see it is the Spiritual experience that is the thing we celebrate and that experience is being execised every day of the year all across the world, even as I write. Why you don't see these things is the question you have to ask yourself.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

The very first Christian was righteous Abel
    That is a non logical statement.

only Cain and Abel as well as their sisters and parents

Technically you are assuming that.

The tree could be representative of the cross. The egg representative of the stone covering the grave
    Really reaching on those two.

and of course St Nicholas who actually gave out gifts to celebrate the birth of Christ
    And also a good agglomeration of pre existing or frankly recent invented traditions as well... Gift giving and a feasting were certainly part of Saturnalia and in many ways absorbed by christian Europe in its christian celebrations near or around the 25th or so.
    Last edited by conon394; April 12, 2022 at 07:51 AM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Blog Entries

Yup, repurpose it is. And obviously no belief has existed before Christianity as Abel was Christian (does that mean that Jesus Christ was merely named after the religion and not the other way round?) and Abel came to be right after the big bang, or was it Saturday?

Time to gracefully bow out, me thinks.

DavidBN,

The very first Christian was righteous Abel who pre-existed any other religion since there was at the time only Cain and Abel as well as their sisters and parents, Adam and Eve. Cain murdered Abel because God favoured him so we don't know if Cain started any religion before then. So, any other religion only came about after that.

We well know that December was not the time of Christ's birth and certainly not a point for worship but as tradition has made it that is when we celebrate it. The whole point is about Redemption from sin and as everyone brought to Christ has a different date and time for that experience times and dates are not the important part, rather that redemption has taken place. And so it is that Jesus Christ our God came into the world to save a people for Himself, that is what we celebrate and do so not just once or twice a year rather every day.

Christmas trees and Easter eggs and Santa all have a bearing of truth. The tree could be representative of the cross. The egg representative of the stone covering the grave and of course St Nicholas who actually gave out gifts to celebrate the birth of Christ. Oh they may well be pagan but not for all them born again of the Spirit of God. You see it is the Spiritual experience that is the thing we celebrate and that experience is being execised every day of the year all across the world, even as I write. Why you don't see these things is the question you have to ask yourself.

LOL

I have a Colisseum to sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBN View Post
    LOL

I have a Colisseum to sell you.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Children eagerly await gifts like dogs awaiting bones because they have no freedom, no money, no control over anything in life.

If you deny someone access to food for 5 days and then give him a piece of rotten sausage, he too would be excited and celebrate like a kid receiving Christmas gift.

Is that truly happiness? Is that really worth of celebration?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Yup, repurpose it is. And obviously no belief has existed before Christianity as Abel was Christian (does that mean that Jesus Christ was merely named after the religion and not the other way round?) and Abel came to be right after the big bang, or was it Saturday?

Time to gracefully bow out, me thinks.
    Gigantus,

The thing is that no-one was called a Christian until a lot later and after the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus and I believe the name came from people in Damascus. Up until then all converts were known as saints. So, Abel being accounted a saint can also be said to be a Christian. For another example or explanation is that the twelve disciples were Christians, right? Yet, today we have them known as St Peter, St John, St Andrew and so on showing saint and Christian to be one and the same thing.

Sono, I won't be bowing out anywhere.

Abel being accounted a saint can also be said to be a Christian
    But is not considered a saint in the OT.

For another example or explanation is that the twelve disciples were Christians, right? Yet, today we have them known as St Peter, St John, St Andrew and so on showing saint and Christian to be one and the same thing.
    They were not calling themselves saints.

conon394,

Quote, " Is the term saints used in the Old Testament?
    As recorded throughout the Bible, the manner in which the prophets and apostles consistently referred to church members in their revelations and in written epistles was “saints.” The term “saint” or “saints” is found in the Bible about 100 times, about three dozen in the Old Testament and 62 of which appear in the New ...22 Apr 2012 " Unquote.

So, there you are!

Please use proper form a quote requires a source.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Please use proper form a quote requires a source.
    conon394,

The word of God, the Bible, is your source. All I have to say is that, " It is written," and for you to search out where and why, not for me to make it easy for you. If you really, really, wanted to know about God and His saving Grace, you wouldn't be questioning me about it, rather having heard of it, be searching for yourself as I did when yet unsaved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast