Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsardoms Total War - Ask all questions here

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - Ask all questions here

I made this point before I think, but I think it would be interesting to have a similar mechanic to the "Culture" feature in the Britannia campaign for Kingdoms. Basically, you can only recruit units if you have a certain % of your faction's culture, which replaces religion in the Britannia campaign. In Tsardoms, I think this can create some interesting mechanics and add to the difficulty. Particurarly for the Ottomans or the muslim factions, I think there could be a sort of compromise to have a Christian population % in order to recruit certain units like Voynuks, Jannisaries and other local units in certain settlements with the cost of some public order.

Quote Originally Posted by Artannis Wolfrunner View Post
    All of those ideas are very likeable. There is a painful lack of quality AOR and merc units outside home areas, and this is noticable when moving into Europe. Past Hadrianopolis there are no more training centers for Islamic units going into Europe and that city has only the low and mid tier units available. I found that it was still possible to have good momentum moving into Bulgaria due to the massive ring of training cities around the Bosporus - Constantinople, Galata, Usukudar, Bursa, etc. allow large forces to be train and retrained quickly. However the unholy legions of heavy armored macemen, knights, and tatar guard from bulgaria and serbia make moving in there very costly, and can quickly turn into a foreverwar if Wallacha and Hungary join into the fighting.

What I was thinking was similar to what you said of the Timurids, but for all factions. An ability to "take over" a faction's unit roster, at least in part, when conqering them. For instance, when I take over Bulgaria as the Karamanids, it would be strong if I could train their Tatar Guard out of the merc barracks in Tarnovgrad and maybe some other cities. Samostreltsi and Bolyars could even be available from the barracks. With a limited regional roster, I could build an army to police that area. It could be that these units become available as soon as these cities are taken, or once a certain religion threshold is reached that shows control over the area has been established, or an event that triggers once the faction is destroyed that makes some of their former units available to their new overlord.

Sipahis and christian units are very welcome and would make the Karamanids far more interesting. However there are still issues with wading through endless armies to move into Europe. I don't want it to be easy to take over Europe, it shouldn't be. But Med 2's system of running back and forth to retrain units brings much fatigue to the player. The more units a faction has available, the fewer retraining trips are needed. Having more regional and merc units to recruit would make retraining less painful while adding variety. I know it is selfish of me to suggest all this since it's much work to do.

It's worth mentioning that this would also make the Ottoman AI much stronger. In my Karamanid campaign I actually made the Ottomans stronger by increasing all their unit sizes - all cavalry to 125, all infantry to 250, including sipahis and jannissaries. Even with this great increase in power and the 20+ armies they fielded, the Ottomans lost their momentum almost as soon as they crossed into Europe. They took Gallipoli and eventually their armies were worn down by Bulgaria and Serbia and with no way to retrain their units in Europe, the Ottoman AI fell apart and collapsed under a constant influx of Bulgarian and Serbian armies flowing from their lands.

However I enjoyed the Aydinids and Karamanids and would like to see them have more to play with. Especially Karaman. Both factions have very small unit rosters, but Aydinid guard archers, Beglik Nokeri lancers, and askari make for devastating armies with only 3 unit types, guard archers being so strong that horse archers aren't even needed. Aydin also starts within reach of Cretan archers for more ranged power. Karaman is isolated and their expansion options are mostly dictated by what the Ottomans are doing, and allying with the Ottomans is impossible due to random scripted events that go off without warning and set you at war with them. However I don't feel like I can judge this faction with full accuracy since I haven't reached Ghulams yet.
    lol
    and for western factions i is the oposite.
    i play milan right now and i have to much money and recruitable units

I tought how it would be cool if baracs and merc buildings would be unbuildable and only avielable in certain tovns from start to finish of the game.
    So no upgrading of baracks or building new baracks,you just start with a barack in your capital and few in forts.New units will be unlocked by script events.That would make all units have they price and place on the betllefield,even peasnts would be recruited

just6 an idea,dont kill me

I'd actually prefer the possibility of any city being able to get professional troops if developed enough. At the very least the Ottomans should be able to get janissaries in Bursa, Nicaea, Constantinople, Edirne, and Thessaloniki at a minimum, but I've never played as the Ottomans
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

How's progress on the 1448 campaign?

I dont know what to play for my campaign os is there a nation you didnt recieve any feedback on yet?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Duluthian View Post
    Probably not spoiling too much by saying that the pre-alpha version was just finished for testing by Jurcek. He did a great job of basically making it happen by himself, so feel free to rep him I'll try to start a campaign soon and post some screenshots from it.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Questions View Post
    I dont know what to play for my campaign os is there a nation you didnt recieve any feedback on yet?
    We didn't get much feedback on Aydinids and also on Bavaria or Bohemia either being newer additions. Would love to get some feedback on them...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Duluthian View Post
    We have a playable pre-alpha. There is still a lot of work to be done. But we will be looking soon for testers for the 1448 campaign if anyone is interested.

We could also use help with text writing. That is where we lack a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    We didn't get much feedback on Aydinids and also on Bavaria or Bohemia either being newer additions. Would love to get some feedback on them...

We have a playable pre-alpha. There is still a lot of work to be done. But we will be looking soon for testers for the 1448 campaign if anyone is interested.

Texts for what, exactly? Events, faction descriptions, unit descriptions, ancillaries?.... I might lend a hand, if you wish.

Faction descriptions in the selection screen. What you see when you select the faction. And we try to do a short intro when the campaign starts too.

For the selection screen we would one paragraph summarising the history up to 1345 (that was already covered in detail in the intro texts in the 1345 campaign), then 1 paragraph for the situation between 1345 and 1400 and then a couple more paragraphs for the history between 1345 and 1448.

Factions for which we need the main menu text written include:

- Roman Empire
    - Serbia
    - Bosnia
    - Ragusa
    - Albania
    - Bavaria
    - Austria
    - Naples
    - Genoa
    - Crimean Khanate
    - Despotate of Epirus

Here are a couple of examples of Faction Selection (Main Menu) texts

Main Menu text for Candarids

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Candarid (or Isfendiyarid) Beylik was officially established in 1292. The Seljuq Sultan Masud II took Kastamonu from the Chobanids and gave it to Temur Yaman Candar, a commander from the sultan's candar corps, in thanks for rescuing him from Mongol captivity. Following Temur's death, the Chobanids recovered Kastamon however his son Suleyman I conquered the province and annexed Safranbolu and Sinop. Suleyman I then appointed his son Ibrahim I as governor to Sinop and a second son Ali to Safranbolu. Suleyman I reigned under the authority of the Ilkhanate, until the death of the ruler Abu Sa'id in 1335.

Following the death of Suleyman I, his sons Ibrahim I and Ali fought for the throne. In 1339 Ibrahim was victorious and took over the rule of Kastamonu. Upon his death, his cousin Adil replaced him and ruled between 1346 and 1361). When Adil died, his son Koturum Bayezid became bey. Koturum Bayezid fought twice with Kadi Burhan al-Din, the ruler of the Sivas region, and in 1383 lost Kastamonu to one of his own sons, Suleyman II, who received military support from the Ottoman sultan Murad I. Koturum Bayezid retreated for Sinop, and thus the Candarid Principality was divided. After Koturum Bayezid's death in 1385, his son Isfendiyar succeeded him in Sinop.

Based in Kastamonu, Suleyman II remained faithful to Murad I, his supporter in his revolt against his father, and participated in Ottoman campaigns in Europe in 1386 and 1389. However, Murad's successor, the aggressive Beyazid I launched an assault in 1391 on Kastamonu as part of an effort to control the Anatolian beyliks. Suleyman II was killed and the Candarids' rule in Kastamonu ended.

Meanwhile in the other Candarid state in Sinop, fearing conflict with the powerful Ottomans, Isfendiyar requested immunity from Beyazid and became an Ottoman vassal with autonomy. Kadi Burhan al-Din's short lived but powerful Turkmen state in the Central Anatolia was the main reason for the Ottoman-Candar cooperation in Sinop. However, following the Ottoman sultan's defeat by the Timurids in 1402, Isfendiyar recognized the authority of Tamerlane. The Timurids confirmed Isfendiyar in the traditional Candarid lands of Kastamonu, Kalecik, Tosya, and Cankiri and the beylik was re-established to its full extent.

After Tamerlane left Anatolia, during the Ottoman Interregnum, Isfendiyar stood close to all the four sons of Beyazid avoiding any conflict. When one of his sons, Kasim claimed control over Cankiri and Tosya, and declared the annexation of these areas to the Ottoman Empire, the Candarids' dominion was divided once more. In 1419 Ottomans further annexed the eastern part of the beylik. Following the death of Mehmed, Isfendiyar revolted against the new sultan Murad II and reconquered the lost lands. However he was eventually defeated and forced to sign a treaty in 1423 abandoning his gains but keeping Sinop and Kastamonu. Isfendiyar died in 1439, to be succeeded by his son Ibrahim II, who upon his death was replaced by Ismail in 1443.

The Candarids are now ruled by Ismail and have good relations with the Ottomans having family links with them and participating in the Ottoman campaigns of conquest. Despite the current climate there is still a great danger of the Ottomans taking more Candarid territory. Ismail can either continue the policy of appeasement of the Ottomans or he can choose to follow a more aggressive route and take advantage of the current Ottoman-Hungarian wars to try and push back and re-establish a powerful Candarid state like in the times of Isfendiyar. The very survival of the Candarid dynasty and state is at stake, the time is now for great decisions and great actions, the time is now for Total War!

Main Menu text for Hungary

After a destructive period of interregnum (1301–1308), the first Angevin king of Hungary, Charles I successfully restored royal power and defeated oligarchic rivals known as the "little kings". Charles I reigned between 1308 and 1342. His new fiscal, customs and monetary policies proved successful.

The second Hungarian king of the Angevin line, Louis the Great was crowned in 1342, he extended his rule as far as the Adriatic Sea and occupied the Kingdom of Naples several times. In 1351, the Golden Bull of 1222 was completed with a law of entail. This stipulated that the nobles' hereditary lands could not be taken away and must remain in the possession of their families. In two successful wars against Venice (1357–1358 and 1378–1381), he was able to annex Dalmatia, Ragusa and further territories on the Adriatic Sea. He retained his strong influence in the political life of the Italian Peninsula for the rest of his life.

Some Balkan states (such as Wallachia, Moldova, Serbia, and Bosnia) became his vassals while the Ottoman Turks confronted them ever more often. In 1366 and 1377, Louis led successful campaigns against the Ottomans. In 1370 Louis also became king of Poland. He had become popular in Poland because of his campaign against the Tatars and pagan Lithuanians.

King Louis died without a male heir, and after years of civil war, the future Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund a prince of the Luxembourg line, succeeded to the throne in 1387 by marrying the daughter of Louis the Great, Mary of Hungary, becoming an official co-ruler and consolidating his power. For some years, the baron's council governed the country in the name of the Holy Crown; the king was even imprisoned for a short time. The restoration of the authority of the central administration took decades.

The Ottoman Empire's expansion reached the southern frontiers of Hungary in 1390. Sigismund decided to organize a crusade against the Ottomans. A great army consisting mainly of French knights assembled, but the crusaders were routed in the battle of Nicopolis in 1396. On his return to Hungary in 1401, Sigismund was imprisoned once and deposed twice.

Sigismund campaigned against the Croatian and Bosnian nobility which culminated in 1408 with the Battle of Dobor in Bosnia. In the aftermath of this battle, in the Bloody Sabor of Krizevci, 171 members of the Croatian nobility were massacred by Sigismund's supporters. After the victory at Dobor, Sigismund founded the Order of the Dragon. The king spent more and more time abroad especially after his election King of the Romans in 1410. He summoned the Council of Constance that met between 1414 and 1418 to abolish the Avignon Papacy and end the Western Schism of the Catholic Church. In 1419 the Hussite Wars started and Sigismund was deeply involved in the anti-Hussite Crusades.

In 1428, Sigismund led another campaign against the Turks, but again with few results. In 1433 Sigismund was crowned Holy Roman Emperor and in 1436 he was crowned King of Bohemia too. In 1435, Sigismund negotiated an alliance with the Albanians and in 1436 he sent a pretender to the Ottoman throne. However, following the defeat of the rebels in 1436, plans for an anti-Ottoman alliance ended. For a half-year in 1437, there was also an anti-feudal and anti-clerical peasant revolt in Transylvania which was strongly influenced by Hussite ideas.

Sigismund, who had no sons, died in late 1437. Following Sigismund's death, the Estates elected his son-in-law, Albert V of Austria, as king however he died of dysentery during an unsuccessful military operation against the Ottomans in 1439. Although Albert's widow, Elizabeth of Luxembourg, gave birth to a posthumous son, Ladislaus V, most noblemen preferred a monarch capable to fight. They offered the crown to Wladyslaw III of Poland. Both Ladislaus and Wladyslaw were crowned which caused a civil war. John Hunyadi, a talented military leader who supported Wladyslaw, rose to prominence during these fights.

Wladyslaw appointed Hunyadi (together with his close friend, Nicholas Ujlaki) to command the southern defenses in 1441. Hunyadi made several raids against the Ottomans. During his "long campaign" of 1443-1444, the Hungarian forces penetrated as far as Sofia within the Ottoman Empire. The Holy See organized a new crusade, but the Ottomans annihilated the Christian forces at the Battle of Varna in 1444, during which Wladyslaw was killed.

Following Wladyslaw's death, the Diet of 1445 acknowledged the infant Ladislaus V as rightful monarch. He lived in the court of his relative, Frederick III. Therefore, the Estates appointed seven "captains", one of them being Hunyadi, to govern the kingdom. The Diet of 1446 elected Hunyadi sole regent, but it was also stipulated that he should convoke the Diet annually.

In preparation for another Ottoman war Hunyadi invaded Wallachia and dethroned Vlad Dracul in December 1447. In February 1448 Hunyadi sent an army to Moldavia to support the pretender Peter in seizing the throne and received the fortress of Chilia in exchange.

In 1448 large territories remain independent of the central government in Hunyadi's regency. Frederick III holds several towns along the western borders, and a Czech mercenary, John Jiskra of Brandys, administers many fortresses in the northern regions. Worst of all, Count Ulrich II of Celje refused to join Hunyadi's army at the battle of Varna and claimed the crown of Bosnia. As such, the Principality of Celje is now in open warfare with Hunyadi with several failed attempts by the regent to defeat the Count of Celje.

The Kingdom of Hungary is now in a perilous position. The country is embroiled in a civil war, it has a minor king and is facing the might of the Ottoman Empire. John Hunyadi is at the forefront of all these conflicts and has ready to strike against the Ottomans in order to strike a quick victory. The very survival of the Kingdom hangs in the balance. Will the rebellious nobles or the infidel Ottomans manage to bring the Kingdom to its knees? Or will Hunyadi use his brilliant generalship skills in order to rout the Ottomans, liberate the Balkan states under Hungarian overlordship and restore Hungary as a great power?

Ok jurcek, here are the description texts for Wallachia. I wrote one for the campaign selection screen and another one for the first turn when the campaign starts.

Faction Description in Campaign Selection Menu for 1448 Campaign

The Principality of Wallachia emerged as an independent state in the 1330s under the rule of Basarab I who founded the Basarab dynasty. The successors of Basarab, Nicolae Alexandru (1352 - 1364), Vladislav I (1364 - 1377) and Radu I (1377 - 1383) all worked to consolidate the Wallachian state and fought several wars with Hungary even extending their influence South of the Danube in Bulgaria. During this period Wallachia expanding its territorial extend towards the Black Sea, established its own Metropolitan recognised by Byzantium and embarked on an extensive church and fortification building programme.

As the entire Balkans became an integral part of the growing Ottoman Empire, Wallachia became engaged in frequent confrontations in the final years of the reign of Mircea I (r. 1386–1418). Mircea initially defeated the Ottomans in several battles, including the Battle of Rovine in 1394 and extended his control over briefly extending his rule to the Danube Delta, Dobruja and Silistra. He swung between alliances with Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor, and Jagiellon Poland (taking part in the Battle of Nicopolis). After the battle of Nicopolis, the Ottomans occupied Bulgaria and could attack Wallachia more easily. However, the Ottoman defeat at the battle of Ankara led to the collapse of Ottoman power. Mircea reestablished Wallachian control over Dobrudja and was even involved in the Ottoman civil war supporting several contenders. After Mehmed I became Sultan and ended the civil war he took control of Turnu Măgurele, Giurgiu and Dobrudja and forced Mircea to accept a peace treaty and pay tribute. In 1418–1420, Mircea's son Michael I defeated the Ottomans in Severin, only to be killed in battle by the counter-offensive; in 1422, the danger was averted for a short while when Dan II inflicted a defeat on Murad II with the help of Pippo Spano.

The peace signed in 1428 inaugurated a period of internal crisis, as Dan had to defend himself against Radu II, who led the first in a series of boyar coalitions against established princes. The boyars were victorious in 1431 (he year when the boyar-backed Alexander I Aldea took the throne. He was the first Romanian ruler to be forced to render military service to the Ottomans. However, the boyars were dealt successive blows by Vlad II Dracul (1436–1442; 1443–1447), who nevertheless attempted to compromise between the Ottoman Sultan and the Holy Roman Empire.

The following decade was marked by the conflict between the rival houses of Dănești and Drăculești. Faced with both internal and external conflict, Vlad II Dracul reluctantly agreed to pay the tribute demanded of him by the Ottoman Empire, despite his affiliation with Sigismund of Luxembourg and the Order of the Dragon. As part of the tribute, the sons of Vlad II Dracul (Radu cel Frumos and Vlad III Dracula) were taken into Ottoman custody. In 1447 John Hunyadi broke into Wallachia and placed his protege Vladislav II on the throne after Vlad II Dracul and his son were assassinated.

Recognizing the Christian resistance to their invasion, leaders of the Ottoman Empire released Vlad III to rule in 1448. Vlad has now arrived in Wallachia and has taken control of the country taking advantage of the fact that the previous voivode, Vladislav II was away crusading with John Hunyadi. Vlad is now in a precarious situation, will he stay loyal to his Ottoman overlords or will he decide to join the Christian alliance, break the chains of servitude and become the stuff of legends?

And here are a few examples for the texts when the campaign starts up (so more focused on the current situation)

Introduction Message when first starting up - first turn event for 1448 campaign

Welcome to Tsardoms Total War!

It has been less than a year since John Hunyadi invaded Wallachia and the cruel assassination of the voivode Vlad II Dracul and his son Mircea by the treacherous boyars. Taking advantage of the fact that Vladislav II was away crusading with Hunyadi, the son of Vlad II known as Draculea (the son of the dragon) has taken the throne with Ottoman assistance.

The international situation for Wallachia is very complicated. The Principality has to balance between the two great powers: the Kingdom of Hungary to the North and the Ottoman Empire to the South. The young Voivode must consider carefully the balancing between these two empires and decide whether he will stay loyal to the Ottomans that brought him to power or if he will try and reach and understanding with the Christian Hungarians.

The Kingdom of Hungary is currently under the regency of John Hunyadi, the killer of Vlad's father. This will make an understanding very difficult especially since the Saxon cities in Transilvania are very hostile to the new Voivode. The Hungarians are embroiled in civil conflicts against Celje and the hussites and also with wars against the Ottomans. Since Hunyadi is currently away crusading this is the perfect time for a punishment expedition into his power base in Transilvania. Alternatively, Vlad could try and mend the relations with Hungary on the condition that Hunyadi stops the usurper Vladislav II.

To the South the Ottomans have under their control the former lands of the Bulgarian Empire and Dobrudja. At the moment it is convenient to keep the peace with the Ottomans while Wallachia is gathering its strength and while the the Ottomans are busy with their wars against Hungary. The Christian lands South of the Danube are ready to revolt against their hated overlord. Sooner or later Wallachia will need to raise the banner of revolt and go to war against the Ottomans. The only question is whether Vlad takes advantage of the Ottoman-Hungarian wars to strike now or if he will bide his time.

The Principality of Moldova is a potential ally but it is also currently under Hungarian influence. Nonetheless, the dynastic link between the Basarab and Musat families could be used to improve the relations and gain much needed influence. Vlad's relatives Bogdan II and Stefan III are the heirs to the throne in Moldova and should one of them ascend to the throne there would be significant benefits for Wallachia.

The Serbian Despotate is in a weakened state and is also an Ottoman vassal. It is in the interest of Wallachia for the Serbian state to remain afloat and not to be completely overrun by the Ottomans. A fall of Serbia would lead to a complete Ottoman envelopment along the Danube. As such, trade and diplomatic relations should be pursued with Serbia but military options should also be explored if the situation calls for that.

There is also the question of the previous Voivode, Vladislav II. He is currently away crusading with John Hunyadi but he could return at any time and challenge Vlad's rule.

Times have never been so dark for Wallachia ever since its foundation over a 100 years ago. The fate of the Principality hangs in the balance and Vlad must prove himself as a powerful leader. He must use any methods to stabilise Wallachia even if it means using terror against the boyars and pretenders. Only with a united Wallachian state can Vlad face the external threats of the Ottomans and the Hungarians.

Introduction Message for Candarids when first starting up - first turn event for 1448 campaign

It's been 9 years since the death of Isfendiyar Bey, one of the greatest ruler Candarid rulers, but his legacy still lives on. These past 9 years have been a time of peace for the Candarid state as a result of the diplomatic and family relations between the Ottomans and the Candarids. This period of peace should not be considered a permanent affair as threats loom on the horizon.

The biggest threat of all is the Ottoman Empire which has been gradually annexing most of the independent Anatolian beyliks in the past decades. They have expanded their borders into Europe and are even now eyeing the great prize city of Constantinople. There is a great risk that once they take the city the Ottomans will turn their eye back towards Anatolia. If that will happen the Candarids will have to face one of the greatest war machines in history with few potential allies.

To the South lies the Karamanid Emirate who are in a similar situation to the Candarids. An alliance with the Karamanids could create a stronger force to oppose the Ottoman threat and could serve as the focus point of renewed anti-Ottoman rebellions all over the lands of the former beyliks of Anatolia.

To the North lies the Crimean peninsula where the former Golden Horde lands are under the control of the Crimean Khanate but also the small holdings of the Republic of Genoa. If the expansion westwards is blocked by the Ottomans perhaps the Candarid state can focus on building a powerful navy and expand in the Crimea. The two powers of the Crimean Khanate and Genoa should be played against each other with one of them being an ally while the other one being the target of expansion. Control of the rich trade routes and resources of Crimea could help the rearming of the Candarid state and improve its resistance against the Ottoman threat.

To the West lie the last remnants of the once might Roman Empire and the spread out holdings of the Republic of Genoa in Amastri, Galata and Ainos. The Roman Empire is on its knees and will likely fall prey to the Ottoman Empire in the next decades. It would be in the interest of the Candarid state that the Romans resist as long as possible. An alliance with the Romans could be too provocative for the Ottomans though. The Genoese can serve as allies but their trading outposts serve as very good targets for expansion. The Candarid can take over the Genoese outposts and trade in the Black Sea without provoking the ire of the Ottoman state. Other Christian states in the Balkans such as Hungary, Albania, Wallachia or Moldova can also serve as temporary allies against the Ottoman might.

The times when the Candarid state was at its zenith under Isfendiyar are long gone. The Ottoman strength might still be challenged and the old lands of the Candarids might be reclaimed if a wise ruler plays his cards right. The Candarid ruler must balance diplomacy with careful expansion in order to gain enough power to resist the Ottoman advance. The final goal of the Candarids should be the downfall of the Ottomans and the replacement of their dynasty with the Candarid one. Perhaps the title of Sultan can one day belong to the Candarids!

Last edited by Wallachian; May 20, 2022 at 12:27 AM.

Semisalis

Has work on the current campaign ceased in order to focus on the 1448 campaign, or will development on both continue simultaneously?

I played the Aydinids extensively earlier this year and would very much like to give some feedback on them. I'll write it in the campaign feedback thread. It was version 2.0 though, but I don't think anything has changed with them in 2.2.

Yes, work on 1345 has ceased and the focus is on 1448. However, much of the work will be shared between both campaigns. For example, new units characters, events, improvements in the 1448 campaign will also be added to the 1345 campaign.

Faction descriptions in the selection screen. What you see when you select the faction. And we try to do a short intro when the campaign starts too.

For the selection screen we would one paragraph summarising the history up to 1345 (that was already covered in detail in the intro texts in the 1345 campaign), then 1 paragraph for the situation between 1345 and 1400 and then a couple more paragraphs for the history between 1345 and 1448.

Factions for which we need the main menu text written include:

- Roman Empire
    - Serbia
    - Bosnia
    - Ragusa
    - Albania
    - Bavaria
    - Austria
    - Naples
    - Genoa
    - Crimean Khanate
    - Despotate of Epirus

Here are a couple of examples of Faction Selection (Main Menu) texts

And here are a few examples for the texts when the campaign starts up (so more focused on the current situation)

Introduction Message when first starting up - first turn event for 1448 campaign

It has been less than a year since John Hunyadi invaded Wallachia and the cruel assassination of the voivode Vlad II Dracul and his son Mircea by the treacherous boyars. Taking advantage of the fact that Vladislav II was away crusading with Hunyadi, the son of Vlad II known as Draculea (the son of the dragon) has taken the throne with Ottoman assistance.

The international situation for Wallachia is very complicated. The Principality has to balance between the two great powers: the Kingdom of Hungary to the North and the Ottoman Empire to the South. The young Voivode must consider carefully the balancing between these two empires and decide whether he will stay loyal to the Ottomans that brought him to power or if he will try and reach and understanding with the Christian Hungarians.

The Kingdom of Hungary is currently under the regency of John Hunyadi, the killer of Vlad's father. This will make an understanding very difficult especially since the Saxon cities in Transilvania are very hostile to the new Voivode. The Hungarians are embroiled in civil conflicts against Celje and the hussites and also with wars against the Ottomans. Since Hunyadi is currently away crusading this is the perfect time for a punishment expedition into his power base in Transilvania. Alternatively, Vlad could try and mend the relations with Hungary on the condition that Hunyadi stops the usurper Vladislav II.

To the South the Ottomans have under their control the former lands of the Bulgarian Empire and Dobrudja. At the moment it is convenient to keep the peace with the Ottomans while Wallachia is gathering its strength and while the the Ottomans are busy with their wars against Hungary. The Christian lands South of the Danube are ready to revolt against their hated overlord. Sooner or later Wallachia will need to raise the banner of revolt and go to war against the Ottomans. The only question is whether Vlad takes advantage of the Ottoman-Hungarian wars to strike now or if he will bide his time.

The Principality of Moldova is a potential ally but it is also currently under Hungarian influence. Nonetheless, the dynastic link between the Basarab and Musat families could be used to improve the relations and gain much needed influence. Vlad's relatives Bogdan II and Stefan III are the heirs to the throne in Moldova and should one of them ascend to the throne there would be significant benefits for Wallachia.

The Serbian Despotate is in a weakened state and is also an Ottoman vassal. It is in the interest of Wallachia for the Serbian state to remain afloat and not to be completely overrun by the Ottomans. A fall of Serbia would lead to a complete Ottoman envelopment along the Danube. As such, trade and diplomatic relations should be pursued with Serbia but military options should also be explored if the situation calls for that.

There is also the question of the previous Voivode, Vladislav II. He is currently away crusading with John Hunyadi but he could return at any time and challenge Vlad's rule.

Times have never been so dark for Wallachia ever since its foundation over a 100 years ago. The fate of the Principality hangs in the balance and Vlad must prove himself as a powerful leader. He must use any methods to stabilise Wallachia even if it means using terror against the boyars and pretenders. Only with a united Wallachian state can Vlad face the external threats of the Ottomans and the Hungarians.

Introduction Message for Candarids when first starting up - first turn event for 1448 campaign

It's been 9 years since the death of Isfendiyar Bey, one of the greatest ruler Candarid rulers, but his legacy still lives on. These past 9 years have been a time of peace for the Candarid state as a result of the diplomatic and family relations between the Ottomans and the Candarids. This period of peace should not be considered a permanent affair as threats loom on the horizon.

The biggest threat of all is the Ottoman Empire which has been gradually annexing most of the independent Anatolian beyliks in the past decades. They have expanded their borders into Europe and are even now eyeing the great prize city of Constantinople. There is a great risk that once they take the city the Ottomans will turn their eye back towards Anatolia. If that will happen the Candarids will have to face one of the greatest war machines in history with few potential allies.

To the South lies the Karamanid Emirate who are in a similar situation to the Candarids. An alliance with the Karamanids could create a stronger force to oppose the Ottoman threat and could serve as the focus point of renewed anti-Ottoman rebellions all over the lands of the former beyliks of Anatolia.

To the North lies the Crimean peninsula where the former Golden Horde lands are under the control of the Crimean Khanate but also the small holdings of the Republic of Genoa. If the expansion westwards is blocked by the Ottomans perhaps the Candarid state can focus on building a powerful navy and expand in the Crimea. The two powers of the Crimean Khanate and Genoa should be played against each other with one of them being an ally while the other one being the target of expansion. Control of the rich trade routes and resources of Crimea could help the rearming of the Candarid state and improve its resistance against the Ottoman threat.

To the West lie the last remnants of the once might Roman Empire and the spread out holdings of the Republic of Genoa in Amastri, Galata and Ainos. The Roman Empire is on its knees and will likely fall prey to the Ottoman Empire in the next decades. It would be in the interest of the Candarid state that the Romans resist as long as possible. An alliance with the Romans could be too provocative for the Ottomans though. The Genoese can serve as allies but their trading outposts serve as very good targets for expansion. The Candarid can take over the Genoese outposts and trade in the Black Sea without provoking the ire of the Ottoman state. Other Christian states in the Balkans such as Hungary, Albania, Wallachia or Moldova can also serve as temporary allies against the Ottoman might.

The times when the Candarid state was at its zenith under Isfendiyar are long gone. The Ottoman strength might still be challenged and the old lands of the Candarids might be reclaimed if a wise ruler plays his cards right. The Candarid ruler must balance diplomacy with careful expansion in order to gain enough power to resist the Ottoman advance. The final goal of the Candarids should be the downfall of the Ottomans and the replacement of their dynasty with the Candarid one. Perhaps the title of Sultan can one day belong to the Candarids!

Ok, if you give me a couple of weeks (lots of RL work as the school year is ending - teacher's life ain't an easy one) I'll do the job for the factions you listed. It will be a pleasure to contribute, even only with a very tiny bit, to your wonderful work of love.

if I find the time to write something for Austria or Albania where would I even post it?

Why Kantekouzi don't have Paramonai guard?

Edit :Also why Skutatoi took 3 turns? They quite underwhelming for the time it took to trains.
    Last edited by eyelurker; May 22, 2022 at 11:36 AM.

@Total_Questions. Just post it anywhere, like the Genereal Discussions or even in this thread.

@eyerlurker. For the Skoutatoi I believe because we wanted to limit their availability since they represent the old tagmatic armies. But someone will need to confirm if this is accurate or not.

About Paramonai not sure.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Is there a way to suitably represent the type of scorched earth and hit run tactics used in Moldovia and Wallachia?
    I know you can easily attack an army and skirmish, but withdrawing to reengage later just doesn't seem right to me.

that would make late era light cavalry a thing
    Now they are just decor

Unfortunately the entire role of light cavalry isn't represented well in this game. I can't force anyone to take it but armies used light cavalry in battle because that was often what they had.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

yes buh in the game here u can recruit full stacks of feudal cav if u want by the late game

I'm willing to help out by testing the 1448 campaign