Thread: Recommended reading

messiah's Avatar Semisalis

Default Recommended reading

Hey, guys! Thanks for this great mod for an often overlooked time period. Given my own dedication to furthering my historical knowledge and interest in both the region and period, I was wondering if the fans and devs could compile a list of used or suggested sources, studies and general histories (any language, though english would be preferable). I myself have only read Pal Engel's History of medieval hungary, but find myself grasping for more.

Thank you again and I hope to hear news from you soon!

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Recommended reading

here are some old discussions about books

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    I hope i'm not overstepping my clearance level, but since i've been talking about books with Wallachian in the private chat and Tommy by spamming in another thread i thought it might be useful to have a general discussion about books related to the mod and broader history of the mod. I know we had something similar over at EB and one could get a lot of good suggestions.

Basically if anyone has any good suggestions or if anyone thinks there's a book that should be read about the mod that is relevant let it be known to the wider world.

For example, i'm wondering if anyone has read the Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 2: The Ottoman Empire, Eastern Europe and the Near East by Ian Heath? It seems really expensive, so i want to know if it's worth it.

Also i would like to mention that i have a few of books that might be relevant to the mod, and would happily look for any information required in them; i suspect a lot of you might have the same books though, so it might not be too helpful

I will edit the post with new books mentioned from team members, we can then have a nice list that could help everyone out; as the lists get bigger i will make sub categories.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

From Osprey Publishing:
    - The Age of Tamerlane
    - War Elephants
    - Armies of Castile and Aragon 1370-1516
    - Spanish Tercios
    - The Ottoman Fortifications 1300-1710
    - The Venetian Empire 1200-1670
    - The Swiss at War 1300-1500
    - Condottiere 1300-1500
    - German Medieval Armies 1300-1500
    - Hungary and the fall of eastern Europe 1000-1568
    - The Varangian Guard 988-1453
    - Byzantine Armies 1118-1461

OTHER

- Armies of the Middle Ages Volume 1,2 by Ian Heath
    - Hungarian Age of Chivalry 1301-1456 by Gyozo Somogyi
    - The Army of King Matthias 1458 - 1526 by Gyozo Somogy
    - The Realm of St. Stephen by Engel Pal
    - Mercenaries and their Masters: Warfare in Renaissance Italy by Michael Mallett
    - The French in the Kingdom of Sicily, 1266-1305
    - Tamerlane: Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World by Justin Marozzi

I also have broader books that are not so specific, but most of my books start just as the mod ends in a cruel twist of fate

So yeah, if anyone has any good suggestions about the books of the mods timeframe, let it be known Or if anyone has any questions about any book they are interested in buying
    Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Amazing units, great work Cesco

Before the coronavirus plague I was able to grab several books about Hungarian warriors made by Győző Somogyi. I think that these two books may be useful for Tsardoms TW and Machiavello TW teams:

Hungarian Age of Chivalry 1301-1456 / Magyar Lovagkor 1301-1456
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Army of King Matthias 1458-1526
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

According to the terms of instructions for testers I do not request reworking of the Hungarian units, but in case of a possible update for Tsardoms/sources for Machiavello I´m able to provide artwork based on the research made by Mr.Somogyi.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    The first books from this series (18th century) I found on Slovak webshop, which is specialized for our Hungarian minority. The medieval books I bought from amazon.com. I don´t have a whole series yet.
    I want to buy From Nicopolis to Mohács: A History of Ottoman-Hungarian Warfare, 1389-1526 by Tamás Pálosfalvi. It looks as great book and has first chapter dedicated to Hungarian military organization from 1387–1526 . I have great Czech books for Mohács battle and the Hungarian army of early 16th century, also I found great Slovak academic book for Battle of Rozgony/Rozhanovce. Thanks to Tsardoms I want to read more about this period and I have many books in my wishlists for years

Also I have many books and there is a problem how to store them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Great post Anubis. I have added here the posts from other discussions about books on the forum. If you want you can consolidate them in the first post and have a nice bibliography.

I have Ian Heath's book in pdf form. If you want i can send it to you. It's fantastic, we used it extensively for a LOT of units and texts for most Balkan factions. Actually I used both vol I and vol II. It's a priceless resources.

I have also used Age of Tamerlane , that is actually where i got the Tarkhan Heroes name. And the Tsardoms policy of unit naming is to use a native + english explanatory term. Sometimes we do use this type of nomenclature where the words mean similar things, you will see similiar things with the Guastatori Marauders or the Cossack Raiders.

Other books that i have used for the rosters and texts are:

The Venetian Empire 1200–1670 - Osprey Publishing
    The Swiss at War 1300–1500 - Osprey Publishing
    Condottiere 1300–1500 - Osprey Publishing
    German Medieval Armies 1300–1500 - Osprey Publishing
    Hungary and the fall of Eastern Europe 1000–1568 - Osprey PublishingThe Hussite Wars 1419–36 - Osprey Publishing
    The Varangian Guard 988–1453 - Osprey Publishing
    Byzantine Armies 1118-1461 - Osprey Publishing

You should be more specific as to which area/faction you would like to read, and how in depth... It will be easier to give you specific tips on what to read

Thanks for the list, mate! I'll be sure to check it out!

As for specifics - Hungary, Wallachia, Moldavia, Serbia and Bulgaria would be of most interest to me. I'm most interested in Hungary, but apart from general histories have been unable to find much.

On a side note, the diplomatic and political developments of the region and era also interest me, and I remember reading a book about King Wladislaw's ill fated campaign that contained such information, but I cannot recall the title

EDIT: by the way, I would also appreciate Ian Heath's books in pdf, if possible
    Last edited by messiah; September 28, 2021 at 04:56 AM.

For Wallachia I can give you some very good and easy reads:

Mircea the Old: Father of Wallachia, Grandfather of Dracula https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...uVFoOhE&rank=4
    Dracula, Prince of Many Faces: His Life and His Times https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._of_Many_Faces
    Dracula https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36882588-dracula
    From Vlad the Impaler to Dracula the Vampire https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...SyM73k&rank=16
    Citadels, castles and other fortifications in Romania - from their origins to 1540 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om-their-origi

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Realm of St Stephen. A History of Medieval Hungary 895 - 1526.: v. 19 Paperback – 27 May 2005
    by Pal Engel 'Now recognized as the standard work on the subject, Realm of St Stephen is a comprehensive history of medieval Eastern and Central Europe. Pal Engel traces the establishment of the medieval kingdom of Hungary from its conquest by the Magyar tribes in 895 until defeat by the Ottomans at the Battle of Mohacs in 1526.'

Thanks guys! I've already read Pal Engel's book, got a hold of From Nicopolis to Mohacs and am planning on getting the suggested book on Mircea the Old. Is there any good book on Stephen the Great (in English)?

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Balkans and the Byzantine World before and after the Captures of Constantinople, 1204 and 1453 ed. by Vlada Stanković a review of it can be found here https://muse.jhu.edu/article/708067
    I will say that it is a very interesting series of papers, recommended

Quote Originally Posted by messiah View Post
    Thanks guys! I've already read Pal Engel's book, got a hold of From Nicopolis to Mohacs and am planning on getting the suggested book on Mircea the Old. Is there any good book on Stephen the Great (in English)?
    Yeap, that Mircea the Old book is a very informative book. The author is also going to release this book in a month https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57066939-dracul It is about Vlad II Dracul, Vlad the Impaler's father who arguably had just as interesting life as his son.

No, sadly there are no books about Stephen written in English. The most i can recommend for him in English are these great YT documentaries:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKFhubbLQd0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCiOQ570nrk