Thread: The most interesting 'barbarian' faction

Default The most interesting 'barbarian' faction

I'm currently in the late game part of my Carthage campaign, and I'm tentatively looking for what to play next.

I'm considering Epeiros as it seems to offer a nice twist on the traditional Hellenistic factions, interesting reforms plus opportunities to expand both East and West.

However, I'm also looking at trying a 'barbarian' faction (non-Hellenistic and not Greeks/Rome/Carthage) as I never did that in any of my EB 1 or 2 playthroughs. However, I know very little about most of them, hence the question: which of these faction do you find most interesting and why. I'm looking for:

- Interesting combat gameplay (troop selection)
    - Interesting campaign (starting position, reforms/events etc.)

Default Re: The most interesting 'barbarian' faction

Aureakoi can be interesting for a while, if you enjoy simple army compositions. They're literally 5-6 Celtiberian Medium Cav, maybe one or two other light cav, all the swordsmen you can muster and maybe a couple of skirmishers based on availability and taste.

Celtic factions in general are fun in battle because many of their foot units have high charge value. Although it's less effective on foot troops, it's still good enough to make a massed charge tactics viable. I'd probably pick Boii, they have increased recruitment through colonies and good position to grab some decent screening cavalry (Raskumezenai).

The Getai campaign/reform is the closest thing you'll ever get to an EBII "storyline." There is a lengthy series of missions/events that you, the Getai player, can experience. I'll list them all here, spoilers be damned, because not that many people have tried out the Getai storyline or even know how to progress through it.

1. Protect Histrie's independence by constantly repelling Scythian raids. Then you destroy Histrie's independence yourself by conquering it and defeating a final Scythian invasion.
    2. Conquer Landa Scordisci
    3. Invade Streuintia and Noreia to punish the Boii for supporting the Galatian invaders or something. Maybe the Boii are hoarding WMDs in reality, but the Getai are keeping things under wraps...
    4. Fend off a Bastarnae invasion backed up by Roxolani raiders
    5. Your FL must have at least 7 authority

Side quests:
    1. At the beginning of the campaign, take Tyragetia ASAP or else your ally will get angry and spawn a rebellion into existence.
    2. If you take Moisia before subjugating the Scordiscii, they will spawn a stack to try to relieve Moisia.

The result is that you unlock the highest governments for the Getai, all your governments above Regional Pacification get increasing cultural conversion bonuses, and your FL is now "burdened" with having to keep the priests happy. If his combination of Authority or priestly education is too low, he incurs some negative traits.

The cool thing about these lengthy reform requirements that will see your manage operations from the western Pontos Euxeinos to the eastern edges of Celtic influence is that they are all doable within the lifetime of your starting FL. In fact, your FL is like 18 years old or something. He will easily have 10 authority if he's the one putting in the work. By the time of the Getai reforms, your FL could be as young as only 40. He would be immaculate as a conquerer of the physical realm, but still has room to mature in the spiritual world. You could then begin the whole Journey to Become a Living God traitline, which by the end would result in the most overpowered character in all of existence. Here are the steps

1. Depart from Histrie to journey across the Hellenistic world
    2. Meet with wise old men in Zikediva
    3. Set up camp in the Daoi region, smoke weed inside a tent, and occasionally give advice to crackheads who visit you
    4. Live for a few years inside a cave in the mountains of your starting region

The final trait is literally "Living God", and the trait effects back this up. Putting this in spoilers because these traits aren't for the faint of heart
    +4 Morale for all troops on the battlefield
    +3 Command when Defending
    +1 Law
    +5 Influence
    -1 Unrest (improves public order)
    + 1 to Personal Security (prevents assasination attempts)

So your starting FL, throughout his storied life, could bring the Getai into the international stage and become himself a literal God. The best "barbarian" campaign IMO.

Disclaimer: this campaign might be buggy ATM. Play with caution

Domaje's Avatar Civis

The Sakas also have a in depth reform system, moving the faction from a tribe to a kingdom to eventually an empire, while saka migrations events occurs. They allow you to recruit nomads in the iranian plateau. Conquering India as the Saka is an enjoyable gaming experience, with its challenges, mostly due to culture and unrest, during the transition from tribe to kingdom.
    They also benefit from a few factional traits, the mercenary FM mechanic, and the unique fighting style of the nomads.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    The Getai campaign/reform is the closest thing you'll ever get to an EBII "storyline." There is a lengthy series of missions/events that you, the Getai player, can experience. I'll list them all here, spoilers be damned, because not that many people have tried out the Getai storyline or even know how to progress through it.

1. Protect Histrie's independence by constantly repelling Scythian raids. Then you destroy Histrie's independence yourself by conquering it and defeating a final Scythian invasion.
    2. Conquer Landa Scordisci
    3. Invade Streuintia and Noreia to punish the Boii for supporting the Galatian invaders or something. Maybe the Boii are hoarding WMDs in reality, but the Getai are keeping things under wraps...
    4. Fend off a Bastarnae invasion backed up by Roxolani raiders
    5. Your FL must have at least 7 authority

Side quests:
    1. At the beginning of the campaign, take Tyragetia ASAP or else your ally will get angry and spawn a rebellion into existence.
    2. If you take Moisia before subjugating the Scordiscii, they will spawn a stack to try to relieve Moisia.

The result is that you unlock the highest governments for the Getai, all your governments above Regional Pacification get increasing cultural conversion bonuses, and your FL is now "burdened" with having to keep the priests happy. If his combination of Authority or priestly education is too low, he incurs some negative traits.

The cool thing about these lengthy reform requirements that will see your manage operations from the western Pontos Euxeinos to the eastern edges of Celtic influence is that they are all doable within the lifetime of your starting FL. In fact, your FL is like 18 years old or something. He will easily have 10 authority if he's the one putting in the work. By the time of the Getai reforms, your FL could be as young as only 40. He would be immaculate as a conquerer of the physical realm, but still has room to mature in the spiritual world. You could then begin the whole Journey to Become a Living God traitline, which by the end would result in the most overpowered character in all of existence. Here are the steps

1. Depart from Histrie to journey across the Hellenistic world
    2. Meet with wise old men in Zikediva
    3. Set up camp in the Daoi region, smoke weed inside a tent, and occasionally give advice to crackheads who visit you
    4. Live for a few years inside a cave in the mountains of your starting region

The final trait is literally "Living God", and the trait effects back this up. Putting this in spoilers because these traits aren't for the faint of heart

So your starting FL, throughout his storied life, could bring the Getai into the international stage and become himself a literal God. The best "barbarian" campaign IMO.

Disclaimer: this campaign might be buggy ATM. Play with caution
    Thanks, as a Romanian, the Getai really are of interest to me

How does their unit roster 'feel' in a thank play vs. the typical enemies?

Alright then, time for a brief tactical overview of the Getai!

At heart, the Getai have a flexible and versatile army with a bit of everything, ranging from skirmishers to light and heavy infantry and cavalry. Although there are some nomadic troops and steppe influenced units along with more exotic indigenous options unique to them that are up for grabs!

Firstly we'll start with light infantry:

The Getai have some solid options with the Komatai acting as a servicable workhorse of a unit. However, the real fun lies in the Peltenai, arguably the best skirmisher unit in the all of Europa Barabrorum 2 with deadly javelins, good armor and a wicked anti-armor attack for a unit of their type and station. You will also have access to the Asanai which is a very cheap and effective slinger unit with the fabled 190 range needed to outrange most foot and mounted archer units but if you are really in the market for a beefy slinger, you can do no wrong with the Skaplinai who are more than capable of defending themselves while aslo being able to dish out some serious pain from range (just make sure to hit the target on their unshielded flanks, the hitboxes are largest there). Now, as far as archers go, the Komatai Toxotai is unexceptional with 5 ranged damage and 170 range, inadequate for facing down the hordes of Scythians that you will have to fight without fail in any Getic camapign, however, via Sarmatian or Scythian enclaves, you can get access to nomadic foot archers (or you could just hire a few...) that will be your go to for ranged firepower although later in the campaign, Thureopherontes Toxotai will become avaliable for hire in Mikra Skythia, these armored archers are a must have as they can resist counterfire very well and do serious damage to light and medium infantry with their swords.

Now, on to the infantry, arguably the weakest part of the Getai military although it is very, very far from bad. The main line infantry of choice range from the Getikoi Stratiotai that can act as the anvil to more offensively inclined infantry such as Galathraikes. But the main draw of the Getai is their unmatched access to some serious shock infantry with the Drapanai, Basternai Draugai and especally the elite Rompaianai able to frighten opposing infantry and deal a lot of damage on the charge and cleave through armored units like butter although one has to be careful not to expose them to concentrated missile fire nor should they be subjected to heavy cavalry charges as their looser fromation will hinder them in defense. Additional regionals include the Budina Skordiskion and even hellenic options such as Hoplitai and Pontikoi Hoplitai are viable choices should you capture Landa Skordiskoi and Histria respectively. The Getai do have professional infantry of their own consisting of the Komatai Epilektoi which is a reliable assault and ambush unit even if they are a little underarmored. And yes, the Getai do get Agema, but these guardsmen are the Agema Daon, hard-hitting, inspirational and tanky spear units akin to the Thorakitai Epilektoi of the hellenistic factions although you have to wait until your Razas has achieved widespread fame and glory before being able to train more of them.

Now to what could be considered the best part of the Getic roster, their cavalry. You start off with skirmisher cavalry such as Mezenai and Esvanai, they are good at their jobs, which are harrassing enemy units and chasing down fleeing units and picking off isolated light infantry units.Well, you also have the ever dependable Raskumezenai to act in both a skirmishing and melee attacking role. However, I cannot emphasise enough how good horse archers are for the Getai, they are a MUST HAVE as their ability to string out opposing cavalry and deal with them in detail is invaluable, enabling your other units to roll up on a now unsupported enemy with reduced mobility. In this department, the Getikoi Hippotoxotai are servicable but the ones you need to be going for are the Sauroma Baragatæ and Skuda Aspabarata, recruited from the enclaves previously mentioned. The heavy cavalry options for the Getai are also solid with mainstays such as the Tarabostes and Basternai Markaridai although you also have access to lancers in the form of the Raukhsalan Baragatæ, recruitable either from Sarmatian encalves or as mercenaries. but undoubtedly the best cavalry unit to grace the Getai roster are the Skuda Azdata, these very heavy melee cavalry units are avaliable once Histria has the District of a Petty Ruler government. These bad boys can be trusted to grind down opposing heavy cavalry and bodyguards such as Hetairoi and Boii Nobles.

As for the standard 'game plan', infantry in the centre with your heavy cavalry and falxmen on the flanks. Your goal should be to use your horse archer/skirmisher cavalry and light infantry to remove the opposing army's cavalry/light infantry/general beofre moving your main line up where your light phalanx can pin the enemy down and your shock infantry can go to work on their flanks before the heavy cavalry closes the encircled enemy from the rear. The Getai are also really good as ambushers, use them in that fashion when viable.

Well, this is as much as I know. but one thing is for sure, you will not be disappointed.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Thanks a lot for the detailed analysis !

I can heartily recommend Aureakoi for the flavor. I had no idea they were such land vikings! You haven't played EB until your character has taken some enemy hands in battle.

Peltenai regarded as best skirmisher is debatable because they have one great flaw that offset their great stats, they are way too spread out.

Making formation with them is awkward since i cannot adjust peltenai formation with other unit the best i could use them is in front for skirmish and the first to engage enemy or to flank which i rarely used because i use cavalry for flanking.

Domaje's Avatar Civis

Anchor your flanks on a forest and put a unit of peltenai in it, they will tear down anything that comes at them, including heavy infantry or heavy cavalry (being hidden they can avoid being targeted by a cavalry charge).
    The best use of peltenai is on the flanks to support your cavalry IMO.

Regarding their loose formation, sure that's too bad but they are not line infantry but skirmishers, and sometimes they can be used as shock infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Domaje View Post
    Anchor your flanks on a forest and put a unit of peltenai in it, they will tear down anything that comes at them, including heavy infantry or heavy cavalry (being hidden they can avoid being targeted by a cavalry charge).
    The best use of peltenai is on the flanks to support your cavalry IMO.

Regarding their loose formation, sure that's too bad but they are not line infantry but skirmishers, and sometimes they can be used as shock infantry.
    Huh. Flank guard is actually a great idea, enemy tend to focus attack in one flank rather than charging straight at central line so peltenai can cover a large flank. And being a flank guard means i don't have to adjust peltenai formation with my main line.

I would make them flank guard regardless if they are forest or not. They are powerful but not being valuable unit like elite infantry or cavalry make them relaltively expandable so i don't care much about their casulties.

Good Sir, have you ever heard interesting, but tragic story of Lougiones the decrepit, while their reforms, are indeed underwhelming (Przeworsk stabilization which opens new governments on 200 BC !, and unit panoply reforms which happen 110 BC - 90 BC), i consider them the most funny, and challenging Barbaroi faction out there ! If you like constant self challenges, constant state of fear, and you have paranoid mindset, you might complete their campaign. My opinion though, Lougiones, Pontus, and Saka, should be moved to very challenging, instead of nigh impossible, and Massylians should be now moved to nigh impossible, with that crazy AI (Carthage betraying your alliance, as early as turn 20 !!!), hardcore stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartocos Leukonovich View Post
    Good Sir, have you ever heard interesting, but tragic story of Lougiones the decrepit, while their reforms, are indeed underwhelming (Przeworsk stabilization which opens new governments on 200 BC !, and unit panoply reforms which happen 110 BC - 90 BC), i consider them the most funny, and challenging Barbaroi faction out there ! If you like constant self challenges, constant state of fear, and you have paranoid mindset, you might complete their campaign. My opinion though, Lougiones, Pontus, and Saka, should be moved to very challenging, instead of nigh impossible, and Massylians should be now moved to nigh impossible, with that crazy AI (Carthage betraying your alliance, as early as turn 20 !!!), hardcore stuff.
    Hello old chap!

The current difficulties listed for most factions are woefully out of date. There is a project currently being done to change that, it intends to update the difficulty with the appropriate justifications by the time EB 2.4 comes out (Which will be a while....)

Faction difficulty rating overhaul:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...5#post16030915
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Spartocos Leukonovich View Post
    Good Sir, have you ever heard interesting, but tragic story of Lougiones the decrepit
    It's not a story the historians would tell you..