Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basic Italian - Chat Thread

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Basic Italian - Chat Thread

ok noted, I need to find the time for that though .. you don't want me to do that for the past lessons too, right?

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I think it would be nice, but it would obviously be an unreasonable amount of work to ask of you (especially retroactively). So no worries.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Blog Entries

God Bless!

ok nice, I'll probably do that for the old lessons as well, but I really need to find the time for that, which RN I don't have.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Yeah, no worries. When you have time and are bored, feel free, but definitely don't make it a priority.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

I won't

Lesson 7 is now amended with added translations

Just a confirmation to our professor that I have not lost my interest in the course in despite of my recent inactivity. I'll get back to you with the homework.

Same here. I think I only need to do the latest thing (Lesson 7), and though I'm more than tardy with it, I am keeping it in mind, and will get to it as soon as I can!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Same as well. Been busy with stuff lately but fully intend to get around to this.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

No worries lads, we still have plenty of time.. time is not a problem here.. but if I can give you an advice, do not let too much of it to pass, because then it will take a double effort

I will see if I can publish a new lesson this week, otherwise it will be in the next one

Blog Entries

So, lesson 8 has been posted, with few more homework to do.

As I said there is no hurry, but if any of you falls too much behind, that it will be difficult for them to catch up. Also, this is the sort of course that the more you work on it, the more you enjoy it, since you are actually learning and practicing something new.

Blog Entries

So in a couple of weeks I'm gonna start to post lessons about verbs. We will focus on the indicative mode exclusively, because it's a lot of stuff already.

We are like 3-4 lessons away to end the course, so don't give up and try to catch up with the pending stuff before I start the new lessons on verbs

I've been working away on Duolingo to get some further practice and basics locked in, and came across something I didn't quite follow. So I am wondering if you can enlighten me/us about it, Flinn.

When saying things of the form "Both X and Y", there seems to be two ways to do this in Italian, and I don't know why you would use one or the other in some instance. I thought I did, but then an example popped up that sunk my theory completely.

In Italian, "Both X and Y" seems to be covered by two forms, either "Sia X sia Y", or "Sia X che Y". An example sentence would be "I eat both meat and vegetables" --> "Mangio sia carne sia verdura". At least, I thought it would be "Mangio sia carne sia verdura", but on both Duolingo and on GoogleTranslate, it says it should be "Mangio sia carne che verdura".

The question then is when one uses "sia... sia" and when one uses "sia... che", and why one uses one or the other in some instance?

EDIT: I figured that "sia... sia" would be for objects, and "sia... che" would be for people or other things for which "che" is usually used, but the example above sinks that theory. Hence, me being confused.
    Last edited by Kilo11; March 11, 2022 at 02:30 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

ok so, as far as I know the original form is sia...sia, while sia...che seems to have developed during late 19th century. In terms of grammar, they are both correct, but stylistically the sia...sia one is definitely superior, especially because the use of che as a pronoun, let's make an example:

"La mostra è adatta sia agli adulti, che apprezzeranno l'equilibrio delle linee e dei colori, che ai bambini, che potranno divertirsi nello 'spazio disegni' creato apposta per loro".
    ("The exhibition is fitting for both the adults, who will appreciate the equilibrium of lines and colors, and the kids, who will be able to enjoy themselves in the "drawings space" aptly created for them")

Compare it with

"La mostra è adatta sia agli adulti, che apprezzeranno l'equilibrio delle linee e dei colori, sia ai bambini, che potranno divertirsi nello 'spazio disegni' creato apposta per loro".

As an Italian, I would not get mad at the former sentence, but I would certainly prefer the latter, though let me stress again the point that at grammar level both are correct.

Many many thanks for that! And what an example to showcase the uses! Seriously, that is an instance that totally makes clear why to prefer the one over the other. Either way, I think I will lock "sia... sia" into my brain as the "correct one", as that will help me organize things, and I will ignore people being cavalier about their use of pronouns.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Flinn is getting political...

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Lesson 9 - Part 1

Here are some other adjectives for nationalities:

-a (feminine) /-o (masculine) -e (invariable)
    americano/a (American) israeliano/a (Israeli) canadese (Canadian) libanese (Lebanese)
    algerino/a (Algerian) lituano/a (Lithuanian) cinese (Chinese) neozelandese (New Zealander)
    australiano/a (Australian) marocchino/a (Moroccan) danese (Danish) norvegese (Norwegian)
    austriaco/a (Austrian) polacco/a (Polish) finlandese (Finnish) olandese (Dutch)
    basco/a (Basque) russo/a (Russian) francese (French) portoghese (Portuguese)
    brasiliano/a (Brazilian) sloveno/a (Slovenian) giapponese (Japanese) ungherese (Hungarian)
    ceco/a (Czech) spagnolo/a (Spanish) inglese (English) svedese (Swedish)
    croato/a (Croatian) svizzero/a (Swiss) irlandese (Irish) tailandese (Thai)
    indiano/a (Indian) tedesco/a (German) islandese (Icelandic)
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

I have many friends in Bilbao

I have a question about the current lesson (if you would like questions related to particular lessons to be left in that lesson's thread, just say so). In the block of irregular words for "to be", I was confused, as I have become familiar with another form, I think. So you put the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    These are some of the most important irregular verbs:

ANDARE (To Go) DARE (To Give) FARE (To Make/Do) SAPERE (To Know) STARE (To Be)
    Io vado do faccio so sto
    Tu vai dai fai sai stai
    Lui/lei/Lei va dà fa sa sta
    Noi andiamo diamo facciamo sappiamo stiamo
    Voi andate date fate sapete state
    Loro vanno danno fanno sanno stanno
    However, I know the words sono, sei, è, siamo, siete, and sono. Are these from the same root (i.e., stare), or are they entirely different words which somehow can take the same place and function as one another?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

No worries you can post questions where you prefer it's ok

Ok so, we need to make a distinction between ESSERE (to be) and STARE (to be, but also to stay). The former is the auxiliary verb and the first choice for "to be", the latter is used, as far as I know, only in few occasions as a replacement to ESSERE and when it's used to express a condition. Example:

ESSERE - Io sono felice (I'm happy)
    STARE - Io sto male (I'm sick)

So as you can see they cannot be swapped (you cannot say "Io sto felice", but you can say for instance "Io sono malato"). I'm afraid that there isn't a clear line to draw here (and the same is true with many other irregularities of the Italian language), as a matter of fact some forms simply are what they are, because they are regional and they later became used widely because of a famous novel, or a stage play or later TV shows. But as per your question, sono, sei, è, siamo, siete, sono it's the verb ESSERE.

Thanks for the info. So to sum up, what I wrote is a different Italian verb, but both verbs (essere and stare) are "to be"? It is just situational (and not obvious) when you'd use stare?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

Stare it is actually "to stay", but can be used to replace "to be" when referring to a condition.

to summarize

essere is generally used to translate to be.
    stare is used to talk about health, where people and things are and with some adjectives. (Io sto male - I'm sick)
    stare is also used to make continuous tenses. (Io sto andando a scuola - I'm going to school)

at your disposal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast